PDA

View Full Version : Help me with enclosed trailer size!

Westbrooklawn
02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I have been in the business for 15 years now and have always used open trailers. I am now looking at enclosed trailers. For those of you who have made the switch, or have always used enclosed trailers, what do you think is the most practical size enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance.

Market we service is mainly high end residential, and some commercial, using an F250 truck with 2 or 3 man crew.

I am torn between 16', 18' or 20' for length, and 7' or 8' width. I am thinking 18-20 foot might be too large to manuever in residential areas? I also question the need for 8' width. Please respond if you have experience using enclosed trailers for this type application.

Thanks in advance.........

EhlingerLawns
02-03-2005, 05:17 PM
as far as trailer size goes we run an 8.5'x20' and wish wed have gone bigger going with a wider trailer makes it easier to work inside .

Westbrooklawn
02-03-2005, 05:19 PM
EhlingerLawn - Thanks for the quick response. Does the 20' length present any problems in manueverability?

grass_cuttin_fool
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
I dont know if you have checked prices with any dealers in your area, but check out this site, might be worth a ride to Hickory. There price on a 24 footer is cheaper than I can get a 16 footer here in Va. I dont have an enclosed trailer I use an open so I cant comment on the size.

http://www.hickoryinclosed.com/currentinventory.html

Harleyboy52
02-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm real new in the lawn business but I started with a 6.5 X 16 open trailer and recently got a 7 X 16 closed in haulmark. I have an aluminum tool box mounted in the front and can still get a JD 275 and an exmark lazer z with 60" deck in it. It pulls real good with a 97 F150 V6. I mounted my echo's on the wall with J shaped ladder holders like you would mount on a building to hold a ladder. Works great.

EhlingerLawns
02-03-2005, 05:38 PM
the length doesnt restrict too much one thing to consider is future growth in your company ........ right now we have three ztrs on that trailer and have both sides covered in vinyl advertising it litterlay looks like a 20' billboard

02-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Westbrooklawn,

02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Westbrooklawn,
I have used both kinds of trailers. Presently I use a 16' open trailer. I lke the ability to fuel up and crank my walk behind without having to open doors. However there are times when I wish everything was enclosed for theft and weather reasons. Length wise just remember you have to turn all that stuff around in culdesacs and some tight spots. How much equipment do you have to store? I have a walk behind 44" and a 52" Zturn, and one 22" push along with a wheel blower. All of which fits fine in either trailer. I guess it is personal preference and how much money you have friend.

randallwise
02-03-2005, 07:45 PM
I've got an 8.5x16 trailer, actually a car hauler. The extra width makes a great difference when you have a few guys in getting equipment at the same time. No climbing over each other or equipment. In & out efficiently. In addition, makes more space to utilize the walls for tool racks and shelves.

You can see my rig here:

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1411225&IID=45947778&T=1

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1411225&IID=45500532&T=1

I painted the inside white to open it up a little. Wood just feels to dark. I sprayed the floor, ramp, and an 18" cove w/ Vortex spray liner. Makes it nice to hose the thing out and keep the wood from chipping up. I've since sprayed the shelves on the front, too.

RSW

ed2hess
02-03-2005, 07:49 PM
We like narrow short for residential, parking is problem in our area. Most of the lots are 60' wide..little place to park. The only problem is starting the rope pull hydro units. We had to build a metal shield on the gas tanks because the guys were pulling the rope against it when starting. Just be sure you get enough axle and frame strength to haul heavy mowers.

AlbeLawn
02-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a Pace American 18x8 summit landscape. I would never get anything less then a 8 ' wide version. Even with the wheel wells inside that gives you more room over the wells to hang trimmers /blowers ect. For the length a 18' is no problem getting around circles and cars in small neighborhoods. It might be close sometimes but it is worth having the space. I pull it with a f-450 with a 11' stake side and i have never had any problems. Hope this helps.

Jim Albenesius
Albenesius Lawn Service

Barkleymut
02-03-2005, 10:18 PM
I have a Haulmark 24' enclosed, about 2 years old. I've never had many issues with manuevering. It's not a lot of fun to back up though, especially with my ext. cab and 8'bed truck that has poor turning radius. By the way I'm selling it. I'll meet you in S.Boston or Danville if you want are serious. Email me at amccrum1@wmconnect for more info.

LB1234
02-06-2005, 12:17 PM
We've been in business for going on 4 years now. Started out with an open 6' X 14' (actual platform dimensions, not trailer) trailer. Used it up until last year. We have since moved on to a 8'X20' enclosed trailer. We absolutely love it. Pros FAR outweigh its cons. Some cons:

1. The overall length (24')...Can be difficult to maneuver. Took a month or so to get completely comfortable pulling around town and in and out of small parking lots. Manageable, but patience is a must. Most of our lawns are between 3/4-1.5 acres. So parking in front of house is not a problem.

2. Filling gas cans and machines. Bit of a pain. Need to get into a trailer and remove cans/empty cans into equipment. Best bet is to plan ahead and have enough fuel to last the entire day so you only stop once. Either before the day starts or after the day is over.

3. Bigger blind spots. I travel some highways around here and you definitely need to pay more attention to those in your blind spots. Had to invest in those extensions mirrors. Slip right over my existing mirrors. Still a blind spot but not as bad. The open trailer you could still utilize the rear view mirror. We haul with a pick-up, not a mason dump or similar.

Some of the pros:

1. Obviously weather proof. It rains we are a little dryer. When it rains we can spend our time maintaining equipment (i.e. greasing spindles, cleaning air filters, etc.). If the shower passed and ground isn't too wet we are right back at it.

2. The other thing is theft. Now just stopping for lunch I'm not afraid to sit down at the pizzeria knowing the equipment is locked up. Don't get me wrong, if the thief wants it he'll get it, but it is a little added protection over an open trailer.

3. The size...don't forget the walls. With 20' inside length we have two big shelves in the front that carry hoses, back-pack sprayers, toolboxes, miscellaneous hand tools, etc. All trimmers/blowers are on racks. We run two 48" WB's. In spring fall we keep two WB blowers in their as well. Enough room to take them out and not have to remove other equipment.

4. When we are done at night no more unloading equipment to shop/garage. Stays locked up in trailer and you are already to start next day. HUGE time saver.

Sorry for the length, just trying to add my three and half cents worth...

Freshcut Lawn Care
03-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Sweet set up Randlewise! :cool2:

Also good report LB1234. :cool:

We are in the market for an enclosed trailer as well. Looking for a 20' (inside length), I guess they call them 24'?

In any case, good post gents!

P.S. I live on the Michigan/Ontario Border near St. Clair Mi. if anyone has one reasonably priced. Thanks!

JD Mowers and Lawn Care
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I've got an 8.5x16 trailer, actually a car hauler. The extra width makes a great difference when you have a few guys in getting equipment at the same time. No climbing over each other or equipment. In & out efficiently. In addition, makes more space to utilize the walls for tool racks and shelves.

You can see my rig here:

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1411225&IID=45947778&T=1

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1411225&IID=45500532&T=1

I painted the inside white to open it up a little. Wood just feels to dark. I sprayed the floor, ramp, and an 18" cove w/ Vortex spray liner. Makes it nice to hose the thing out and keep the wood from chipping up. I've since sprayed the shelves on the front, too.

RSW

Some of those picks look like they were taken in front of a Mormon chirch. Good contracts with them. :)