PDA

View Full Version : mobile home park

nhutch
02-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I have currently been offered the opportunity to bid on a mobile home park. There are approx. 200 units on roughly 10 acres. Does anybody know the best way to bid this. This is a mow and Trim job only.

CRM Lawncare
02-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I bid on a trailer park once, but the owner said by bid was way to high. It was a ghetto park and there was crap laying all over every yard in this place. It would have been hard to mow for the junk cars, garbage, and other stuff laying everywhere.

So be careful!

DennisF
02-03-2005, 05:15 PM
You need to walk the entire mobile home park and determine the total square feet of lawn to be mowed, including any common areas. Take note of all obstacles on the lots. Once you have the SF figured out you can bid based on that. Make sure that the park manager specifies in writing exactly what is expected in terms of trimming, edging, etc in the common areas. Mobile home parks can be a problem because each individual mobile home owner will want their lot done to their liking. When you are walking the park look at the skirting on the mobile homes and look for damage from previous LCO's and bring those to the attention of the manager or mobile home owner before you agree to perform the service. Some mobile home residents are low lifes and will look for ways to file an insurance claim against you for damage to their property. I've heard of some people collecting 3 or 4 times from different insurance claims on the same damage to their mobile. They just pocket the money and wait until the next LCO takes over and files a claim against his insurance.
I can tell you that in Florida there are a lot of mobile home parks. Probably more than any other state. The LCO's that specialize in them usually charge from $8-$10 per lot on parks where there is at least 100 lots. That's low pricing compared to other states, but there is a lot of competition for mowing in mobile home parks here. I don't mess with them myself. Too many headaches and PITA's. But you can turn some good revenue on them if you keep things under control and don't let the residents run your business. With a small ZTR or WB with a velke you should be able to do a 200 unit park in 2 days. At $10 a pop that's some decent revenue. Good luck with the bid.

op4_camper
02-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Make sure your running a some type of chute blocker...
If not, you will soon have all two tone trailers. The bottom half would be green of course.

a&llandscapes
02-03-2005, 07:32 PM
I have currently been offered the opportunity to bid on a mobile home park. There are approx. 200 units on roughly 10 acres. Does anybody know the best way to bid this. This is a mow and Trim job only.

I have just been offered to do the same thing but they just want snow bid for now and it has 550 units and spreads over ten acres the maintenance guy says it takes him 4 hrs to plow and 2 hrs to clean up but it is huge and definetly would take longer to plow the cutting is huge and they have 170 or more vacants getting cut to what do you think i should do?

Nhutch contact me on what you got maybe we can chat about it

atproperty
02-04-2005, 11:41 AM
my buddy's family owns a mobile home park. He did lawns in their for $15 each unit. This is in CT. Take a look at how large each yard is and guesstimate time per home. I go by approx. $1 a minute. 10 minutes, 10 dollars etc.. Then look at common areas and do the same thing.

Yes, look at skirting around homes and be careful when trimming, they tear easy.

Ex: 200unitsx$10=$2,000. thats good money so keep in mind that you are in one place not wasting gas and saving miles. On the other end time is money.
On the basis that each home takes 10 minutes to mow trim blow it will take one person 33 hrs. 2 people 15hrs.

bidding like this with lawns I have never lost money and if I felt I underbid alittle I slowly but surely fix it. For a client to except increase you have to be good. Good luck!

david
02-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I have mowed 2 trailer parks this past season so I will tell my experience with them. I just mowed the vacant lots and open areas. Some things to consider, some of the tenants are pretty nasty folks they will throw out trash and debris in areas outside their yard sometimes metal objects you tend to find with your blades. The parks I do have a lot of trees and limbs are constantly falling, figure pick-up time or have owner hire someone else for that specific job(figure in trash too). Many times there are old anchors that are left after someone moves out. These are low enough that they are hard to spot yet high enough to hit with blades, can cause lots of damage. I would make owner agree to remove them. Even if you mark them they are still a big hassle working around them and worrying about them. Check to see if terrain if very rough. Mine looked smooth but when I mowed I found the ground was very rough had to slow down and added time. You may want to test ride it out. I made agreement with owner to smooth out areas with tractor. Look for low hanging limbs that make cutting around trees difficult. Hope this helps.

gogetter
02-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Ok, first of all, let's be clear that not all trailer parks are created equal. They are not all dumps with trash all over and cars parked in the lawn on blocks!

They range from dumps, to decent, to quite nice. Let's not paint them all with the same brush.

But as already stated they can be a pain when trimming because of the vinyl skirting.
And in the park where I have a couple lawns (and used to live) they are rather close together. That combined with the cars being so close too, it can be difficult to figure out where to shoot clippings. This is one reason why I really want to get/make OCDC's for my mowers this coming season.

But I can't really help with pricing a whole park. I only do a couple lawns in one where everyone is responsible for their own lawn. The park takes care of the common areas themselves.

MOW ED
02-05-2005, 07:34 AM
This park wouldnt be so bad. Just a little trimmin around the car. If you get hungry, just take a corner.

We don't have many mobil home parks up here. It gets a little cold in them although the ones we have don't have much grass. They are taken care of by the management of the facility or the owners of the trailers do their own but 1000 a day isn't bad if it is relatively straightforward mowing. Trimming may be another story.

eshreve1234
02-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Mow Ed -

Thats the best picture I have seen on this site.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
02-05-2005, 09:29 AM
You could not pay me enough to even consider making a bid on a trailer park. To many kids running around for one, toys most likely in the yards among other things. No way I would even attempt to make a bid. My advice would be for you to pass on this one chief, save yourself the trouble.