PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mail

Rob Spread & Spray
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I will be sending out a total of 40,000 mailers this year. Anyone have some unique ideas to put on them for a good return. I am sure everyone has done the free something offer.

Thanks for the help.

Green Dreams
02-03-2005, 10:14 PM
A discount with an expiration date will help. Hope for 3-400 leads out the whole batch...

Hamons
02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Offering a free soilt test with annual contract works well. ANd since I soil test all customers anyways it doesn't cost me a whole lot extra. Also, it lets them know that I ama quality company that will focus on the details -- not just a spray and go company.

I have a had good response with this.

ArizPestWeed
02-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Rob
What kind of response do you expest from 40,000 mailers ?

Last year I did 40,000 , too.

Lawnchoice
02-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Where did you get your 40k list from guys?

ArizPestWeed
02-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Don't need a list here in Cen Az .
I'm having 10,000 printed next week .
Each one reads " Postal Patron" no address
Each box gets one .

Rob Spread & Spray
02-04-2005, 12:11 AM
I am looking to get about 200 clients from that.

I will be sending out 5000 at a time 4 times to the same target market.

I have our own databsae from over the years, and I have some friends in different service business companies that are giving me their list. The rest I will purchase from a list company.

ArizPestWeed
02-04-2005, 12:26 AM
You mean 5,000 cards to the same boxes , 4 times ?

I got 120 new clients from my 40,000 .

This year we've had a lot of rain , so , I'm hoping for a better year .
I gerw fron 190 to 310 accounts , last year.

I offer 40% off the initial and 2 free months with a one year agreement . It turns out to be 15 months all together .
Most stay with me as clients .

This year , I'm offering maybe 60% off and only one free month with a year agreement .

Lawnchoice
02-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Don't need a list here in Cen Az .
I'm having 10,000 printed next week .
Each one reads " Postal Patron" no address
Each box gets one .

What does that cost for the 10k if you don't mind me asking ? ?

ArizPestWeed
02-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Well , not sure how much for 10,000 .

Last year it was $780.00 for 30,000 printed .

Postage is .12 cents each , which is $1,200 in postage for the 10,000.

I assume 1/3 of $780.00 for 10,000 printed

Rob Spread & Spray
02-04-2005, 09:28 AM
I am using jumbo postcards 4x6 which will cost me 6 cents each, the postage however with a bulk permit will cost 24 cents.

Weed Master, how many applications are you making to offer 40 % off and 2 free treatments(months)?

I have used the free soil test on door hangers, but I dont think that boosts the response rate to much. People here need a better offer to grab their attention.

I use these guys www.promoprintinggroup.com

James Cormier
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Rob, you got out of dodge just in time, 5 more inches this morning.

The guy we talked about that did the big mailing last year offered free lime in fall for a full contract. My numbers where off on what he got, They sent out 75k brochures total, sold 600 plus customers. But because they where understaffed to handle the response they could have sold more.

So thats a little under 1%, I think thats a little high for what everyone plans for direct mailings, more like 1/2 % I think is normal.

I enjoyed out little meeting, we will do it again some day!

Jim

Rob Spread & Spray
02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
5 more inches, which means that Boston probably got more then or no? Nice plow for you though eh?

Same here, enjoyed it as well.

I think maybe a free lime and winterizer may go over well and I can buy a combo product and put both down at the same time.

I sent you an email this morning, hope I got the right one.

ArizPestWeed
02-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I in the pest & weed control business .
No maintenance or yard work .

This year it's just 1 free month.

I do 1/3 of one percent return , I think.

Tom Gs
02-04-2005, 04:12 PM
The customer has two options: Take the service or accept my offer of a free estimate, nothing more.

James Cormier
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
5 more inches, which means that Boston probably got more then or no? Nice plow for you though eh?

Same here, enjoyed it as well.

I think maybe a free lime and winterizer may go over well and I can buy a combo product and put both down at the same time.

I sent you an email this morning, hope I got the right one.

i dont think boston got so much snow, but lots of Ice, I canceled my trip to beantown to the motorcycle show, maybe sat.

I got the email, I will respond thru that, but I like the idea.

I would go with just free lime, use the 7-1-3 fert a lime, really cheap then just use the better product the next season. JUst make sure it says free lime in fall, after the 5 treatments are done and paid for!

Rob Spread & Spray
02-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Thats what I was going to use, and let them know the last 2 visits would be free. Is the free 5th app plus the lime to much?

James Cormier
02-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Thats what I was going to use, and let them know the last 2 visits would be free. Is the free 5th app plus the lime to much?

Yeh I think so, I would go with just the free lime. And just do it as your rd 5 fert & lime (only bill for fert)

ArizPestWeed
02-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Mine are printed on 67# yellow paper , cut in half so that it's 11 inches long by 4.25 inches wide .
They stand out because of the shape and color .
Blach ink .
Yours are too pricy .

Rob Spread & Spray
02-04-2005, 10:45 PM
http://www.promoprintinggroup.com/images/Green%20web%20images/Naturescape.gif

This is my door hanger, but they changed the company name.

My door hangers will look similar. At 6 cents a piece they are a bargain, the back is full color also.

Gotta think big!!!!!

Rob Spread & Spray
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Is the perceived value better if I offer $50 off an annual program vs the free limestone. payup

turfsurfer
02-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Rob spread and spray, I looked at the link for promoprinting and their prices seem really good. I used Quantummail.com once but was dissapointed that I couldn't upload my own designs unless it was JPEG, and their prices aren't as good. I need to get some printing done pretty quick. Have you used Promo before? How is their quality and can you upload your own designs in Adobe Illustrator? I sent off for their samples but I need to get something ordered pretty quick.

Rob Spread & Spray
02-05-2005, 10:18 AM
www.promoprintinggroup.com/green.htm

Not sure if I put this link up before. Their quality is very good, but I am not sure about the uploads. The guy you want to talk too is Bob Weinberg, tell him Rob Shauger sent you. I too need to put my order in and get it done quickly. I will be talking to Bob on Monday.

This link above is brand new. I told Bob that if you want to sell more product you need to have a visual up for us guys to look at. He took the idea to the owner, and the above is the result. Pretty cool that the big company listens to the little guy.

James Cormier
02-05-2005, 10:28 AM
www.promoprintinggroup.com/green.htm

Not sure if I put this link up before. Their quality is very good, but I am not sure about the uploads. The guy you want to talk too is Bob Weinberg, tell him Rob Shauger sent you. I too need to put my order in and get it done quickly. I will be talking to Bob on Monday.

This link above is brand new. I told Bob that if you want to sell more product you need to have a visual up for us guys to look at. He took the idea to the owner, and the above is the result. Pretty cool that the big company listens to the little guy.

Rob, Good link, Hey I love the scratch off postcard. I would do that and have every card a winner, " Free Lime" with 5 app program. People love to win stuff

I would say free lime would be be better than $50.00 off. But you could try both and track it

Rob Spread & Spray
02-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I like the scatch off too. They even can make a scratch and sniff with fresh grass smell. I thought about doing the scratch offs for the trade show, but they are a little pricey.

JohnGr
02-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Rob, If you are going to give the lime and winterizer away if they sign up for a whole season why not show the potential customer on the estimate what you would charge them for the lime and winterizer so they can see what they will be saving and while you are at it maybe a short explaination of why they need the lime and winterizer.

Rob Spread & Spray
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Good idea John.

turfsurfer
02-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Rob, thanks for the green link to Promo. Called them today and got the specs for loading my own designs. Will be using them for larger orders and still use Quantum mail for the orders in the 100-200 unit range for specific customers. Looks like good stuff from Promo. Dropped your name to the guy I talked to (Bob), so maybe you'll get a freebie.

Rob Spread & Spray
02-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Glad it will work out for you. Shoot me an email direct when you get a proof.

Would like to see it.

turf hokie
02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Rob

Spoke to Bob this morning. I think you should get a commission.

Bryan

scaglawnsnj
02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I will be sending out a total of 40,000 mailers this year. Anyone have some unique ideas to put on them for a good return. I am sure everyone has done the free something offer.

Thanks for the help.
good luck 40000 is outrageous im sending 500 out and that cost a bundle

Rob Spread & Spray
02-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Good luck Hokie! Always glad to give my brothers a helping hand.

GMJ, ya gotta think big. return rates are usually about 1%. Which means 5 sales for you or less. Now if your doing design build, maybe your content with that.

I own an application company and need high volume.

It also comes down to you knowing how much it really costs you to et a new client.

Green Dreams
02-09-2005, 12:19 PM
My mailing list is 500 +. I am so small time, that I can't do a huge blast...though I know it works! What I do is look for "signs" in a yard. If I see one, a doorhanger goes on the door (in the "bag" if its still there) then they go on my mailing list. Then I mail out postcards often. Hopefully I hit them at the right time, especially if they happen to be peezed at Mega Co at the time.

My tv spot goes on air next week and will be intense for 3 weeks or so. Some wise people have advised against using tv, but I'm a hard-headed one and am gonna try it anyway. If anyone wants to see my spot, PM me an e-mail addy and I'll send it.

Thanks

Rob Spread & Spray
02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Green Dreams:

TV can work, depends on wether you use the local TV station or Cable.

My history shows better results here on Cable.

Your on the right track. Just keep building that database.

Feel free to email me directly if you need anything.

Green Dreams
02-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks Rob. Let me know what you think about the spot. I paid $856 for 3 weeks on various times on local cable. Hopefully O'Reilly will be drawing them in at night.

I dropped 500 postcards this morning. I want them to hit on Friday or saturday. There is alot less crap (weds are bad here for ads) and I think people will look at their mail more then.

ArizPestWeed
02-10-2005, 10:30 PM
gmj lawns inc

500 , waste of time .

2 weeks ago I mailed 2,000 offering free initial , value of $165.00 and 1 free month for a 12 month agreement .
I've gotten 5 from the mailing .

Last year , the 40,000 got me 120 new accounts
That's 3 to every 1,000

Rob Spread & Spray
02-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Green Dream: I never got the email with the spot.

Weed MAster: Why the drop in mailers you sent out?

ArizPestWeed
02-11-2005, 10:36 AM
It takes time , people leave them laying around for a while before calling .
I'm up to 6 now .

Besides , I expect 3 -4 per 1,000 anyway .

Green Dreams
02-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I am not mass mailing as you are.

Rob..send me your address again. I sent it to the one you posted in your pm...