PDA

View Full Version : Drop Hammer for skid steer

Swanman
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Anyone use one of those drop style concrete/asphalt hammers. No one in my area has one, nor have I seen one other than the big truck mounted units that are used for heavy highway. They claim to weigh 1900#s pushing my 185, although the lifting height is minimal at best. Look to be a more efficient than a hydro hammer and much easier on the equipment and the operator. Anyone know what they cost?

Thanks

Tigerotor77W
02-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Bobcat has one out... you can check their website if you'd like for further, more detailed information. I'm really not sure how much they cost.

ksss
02-04-2005, 03:32 PM
The drop hammers would be great for breaking out flat work. The problem I see is the overhead restriction. They seem to be rather tall which may cause problems working inside of buildings and breaking out steps. The other issue is breaking vertical walls and footings. I think you would find yourself needing a breaker anyway. I just bought a new hammer last fall. It was 750# Okada to replace a 500 pound Bobcat/Stanley breaker (model 2860?). I paid about 6K for the hammer. We do a lot of hammer work and have never seen any adverse machine wear. The Okada even though larger doesn't seem to beat the machine any more than the smaller Stanley does. The Okada does not beat the couplers nearly as bad as the Stanley. The newer hammers claim to transer less vibration to the tool carrier. The other benefit to the traditional hammer is you can mount it to your excavator, I don't know if that is possible with a drop hammer.

Scag48
02-04-2005, 07:50 PM
ksss-What do you know about the Cyclone breaker? Looks like it would suppress alot more vibration than a traditional breaker. Thought about looking at one if we were to do any concrete removal.

ksss
02-06-2005, 07:02 PM
I am not sure I am familiar with the Cyclone breaker, who makes it (Stanley)?. I think a guy with an average to large (1500 to 3000 ROC) skid steer can run a newer 500-750 pound breaker and not have any problems. I think the effects of vibration is relatively minimal on the skid steer. The only effect I find is it seems like it vibrates the grease out of the fittings on the front end. I usually grease the machine and breaker every 4 hours. I rotate my machines at around 1500 hours so maybe I would see more effects of the breaker later. I bill the breaker out at around $120 an hour. At 6K for a new breaker it can be a money maker. The Stanley I bought in 96'. I have put a new tool on it and it now needs a new accumulator (about $800 repair I am told) but it owes me nothing. A breaker can pay for itself if one or two decent demo job. Example is the first job I took the Okada on was a State highway job. One 12 hour day of breaking out manholes $3,300 (job was bid not by the hour). They can generate income and additional work if you have the right contacts.

yorkpaddy
03-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Does the Lbs rating of a hydraulic breaker compare to the Lbs rating of an air breaker?

Is a 750# hydraulic breaker 15 times more powerful than a 50# air hammer?

ksss
03-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I believe that they are. The breaker industry has been trying to standardize testing and rating procedures to fairly evaluate everyones product. I would think that it would apply to hand held models as well.