PDA

View Full Version : can my cpa have the interview with the irs

grass disaster
02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
just curious if i would ever get audited could my accountant have the interview with them?

i think i would have a nervous break down if i had to talk to the IRS :angel:

SodKing
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Start with your attorney, he/she would be one of the first. Then yes, your CPA would do most of it. It is unlikely you would ever have to deal with the IRS in person.

K.Carothers
02-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I've been self employed for the past 15years in multiple adventures. I have never met with the IRS. My cpa does it all, my attorney is used for other specialty concerns.

MacLawnCo
02-04-2005, 10:57 AM
the majoriy of IRS inquirys are on paper and not face to face. If you choose to have your CPA do it thats fine, but you should be able to handle it.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Audit oh no sorry my office is in my basement and it flooded here is the pictures lol

mastercare
02-04-2005, 01:34 PM
On your tax return there is a box at the bottom near your signature which asks if its okay to discuss your taxes with your CPA. Everyone who uses a CPA should have yes checked off. If its only for clarification they will contact your CPA and discuss it wth them. IF you get a full audit, I'm sure your accountant will join you, but he'll charge you for his time. Most CPAs also make oyu sign something saying that you have records (reciepts) for everything you are claiming, and its your responsibility to maintain those records. That way, if you're writing off stuff you shouldn't, then the CPA is cleared, and only processes the information you gave him. If you meet with your CPA frequently (monthly) to review expenses, he may be keeping track of it all for you. I guess it all depends on how much you're paying him/her. That usually determines who's going to be sweating bullets at crunch time.

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Audit oh no sorry my office is in my basement and it flooded here is the pictures lol

LMAO Too funny :D

"Oh, by the way, do I get a deduction for flood damage."

rodfather
02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
LMAO Too funny :D

"Oh, by the way, do I get a deduction for flood damage."

50% sure, huh Troy? Man, you're on the fence on this one...LOL

derek1
02-04-2005, 08:25 PM
What do you guys pay for an accountant? And why did you choose the accountant that you are with?

grass disaster
02-04-2005, 08:56 PM
this is my first year with him doing my business. last year he charged me 150 to do my personal taxes. he charged me $200 to set up my LLC business.

hope this helps.

looking for a big pay back this year payup

derek1
02-05-2005, 11:18 PM
this is my first year with him doing my business. last year he charged me 150 to do my personal taxes. he charged me $200 to set up my LLC business.

hope this helps.

looking for a big pay back this year payup

Wow did you know the guy? and how did he come up with the prices? Did he do a good job for you?

promower
02-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I pay $75 per month, includes eveything even monthly profit loss statements, payroll, quarterlies and end of the year taxes.

lpwhandyman
02-06-2005, 01:22 AM
I did some work for a cpa office......now do a few hours work for her every year and she does my taxes for me. I even get a few bucks on top of the deal. A win win situation.

derek1
02-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I pay $75 per month, includes eveything even monthly profit loss statements, payroll, quarterlies and end of the year taxes.

Now thats reasonable to me 75 a month for everything. Do you have employees? even if not that is still good.

HOOLIE
02-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Some tip I read somewhere once said, if you do get the dreaded "face-to-face" audit, schedule your meeting as late in the day on a Friday as possible, the theory being that the IRS guy wants to get done and enjoy his weekend just like anyone else. Hopefully they wouldn't dig as deep as they would for a 9am Monday appointment.

rodfather
02-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Some tip I read somewhere once said, if you do get the dreaded "face-to-face" audit, schedule your meeting as late in the day on a Friday as possible, the theory being that the IRS guy wants to get done and enjoy his weekend just like anyone else.

That or there will just be a continuance come Monday morning. :help:

HOOLIE
02-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Just tell them you can ONLY meet at 4pm on Fridays... :rolleyes:

I don't remember much from the article, other than that tidbit and that it was written by a former IRS agent. Point was, don't evade the IRS, but you can do things like that to tip the scales in your favor.

Oh yeah, also, don't ever volunteer any info. Too many folks get nervous, try to be accomodating and cough up info when they should have kept their mouths shut.