PDA

View Full Version : Hard Starting Briggs

wanabe
02-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I have a older 5 hp horizontal shaft briggs on a powerwasher that is almost impossable to start. It takes at least 30 pulls and 1/2 can of staring fluid every time. This is all the time, not a weather issue. It runs great after it gets going. What do I need to do? Thanks

Tim Louis
02-04-2005, 03:38 AM
first try changing your spark plug if you havent done it for a while, then clean air filter, if that doesnt work take carb apart and clean, check needle valve, etc...

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:05 AM
It could also be a lack of spark. Snap the plug wire on a new plug, ground the plug and turn the engine over to see what you get. Or if you have testers, by all means put them to use.

Gautreaux's LNG
02-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Make sure to check the choke plate is closing all the way. Change the plug. Make sure the coil has a good strong spark with a tester. Make sure the float and needle valve are working right and clean the bowl out. make sure there is no trash in the jet and idle circuit holes. Good luck

specialtylc
02-04-2005, 01:00 PM
If the choke is set properly and everything else is right, it sounds to me like the engine is low on compression. Needing starting fluid is a common symptom of low compression.

proenterprises
02-04-2005, 01:04 PM
I would say that it may be a dirty air filter. Take the filter off and then try to start it.

Tharrell
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I helped a friend start a pressure washer once. The more you pulled, the harder it was to pull. After it sat a while it started all over again. I finally had him hold the trigger while I pulled the starter rope. That worked.

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I would just go through a do a checklist and replace everything

spark plugs
air filter
spray some carb cleaner in there
change the oil
put some gas in there with dry gas

one other thing that I would check is the choke shutter. Make sure that it is closing/opening all the way when you have it on choke. I ran into a similar problem on a 15HP Kawasaki once. It took about 40+ pulls during the fall to fire it up, finally realized it was the choke shutter.

just give it a thorough clean over and I am sure that it will make a huge difference

riches139
02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
The more you use starting fluid, the more the engine depends on it.
It washes down the cylinder walls and causes premature wear.

Like a drug addict! :cry:

wanabe
02-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys, I will check it out in the morning. Anyone know what the compresson should be? Thanks

beaver
02-04-2005, 08:09 PM
i would guess the minimum is about 55 pounds