PDA

View Full Version : Lost my first and best customer tonight

Smalltimer1
02-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Well I received a phone call about an hour ago here at the college that I was hoping I would not have to deal with.

My next door neighbor at home died in his bed this afternoon. He was 90 years old.

They had a nurse/sitter over there taking care of him and his wife, and when it happened she did NOT call 911 because supposedly she had a 'do not resuscitate' order on him, which when my father got home and his wife (87 years old) physically ran across the yard to our house to ask for help, my father went over there and called 911 and checked his pulse and the paramedics and cops came and he was pronounced dead on scene. They then discovered that the 'do not resuscitate' order did not exist. That is what makes me mad, because he probably could have been revived. But he was suffering from cancer and the effects of chemo and so he's in a better place now.

He was the first person I ever mowed for, and the first person that ever gave me an old mower to fix up. I used to go over and sit on his deck and drink lemonade after I finished mowing with him and his wife and we'd just sit and talk and have a good time. Other times his wife would fix us lunch and he'd come out and stop me from mowing at lunch and tell me to come in and eat with them.

We were really good friends, although he never was able to know what I exactly looked like, because he was 85% blind.

He meant a lot to me and I will surely miss him.

Cobra Jock
02-03-2005, 10:11 PM
I guess the best thing is that "he is in a better place" and that he got 90 years on this planet. Not to many can say that. Mydad passed a short time ago and it hurts. Try to remember the good times and help his wife any way that you can if possible! Sorry for your loss!

Greg

traman
02-03-2005, 10:31 PM
sorry for your loss ,may god bless his soul,and you and your family. you lost a true friend ,buddy and pal amen

YardPro
02-04-2005, 07:21 AM
sorry you lost a friend.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2005, 07:25 AM
sorry for your loss ,may god bless his soul,and you and your family. you lost a true friend ,buddy and pal amen
that is well said

Tvov
02-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Sorry for your loss. Similar situations have happened to me a few times. With some retirees, it is almost like we become their best friend sometimes.

PMLAWN
02-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Sorry for your loss. 90 is a good time to be here and now he is in a far better place. The sad part now is that his wife no longer has her best friend. In the end, God will work his plan.

geogunn
02-04-2005, 08:41 AM
They had a nurse/sitter over there taking care of him and his wife, and when it happened she did NOT call 911 because supposedly she had a 'do not resuscitate' order on him, which when my father got home and his wife (87 years old) physically ran across the yard to our house to ask for help, my father went over there and called 911 and checked his pulse and the paramedics and cops came and he was pronounced dead on scene. They then discovered that the 'do not resuscitate' order did not exist.

I am very sorry for your loss. my two best neighbors are in their 80's and not doing well. I am very concerned for them.

but the DNR situation is very strange. who is the "she" in this statement:supposedly she had a 'do not resuscitate' order

do you mean the NURSE "supposedly" made up a DNR on the patient?

GEO

MOW ED
02-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Sorry for the loss, those old people are the link to our past and its hard to see them go. The DNR order is a tricky thing so dont beat yourself or the wife up on the fact that she said that she did not want him resuscitated. I am a paramedic and truthfully a 90 year old would not have much of a chance to be brought back even if we were in the next room once arrest occurs. Add the complications from cancer and you see that this is not what you or I would like to see but what God has determined.
Rest in the fact that you knew a good person and you have a good heart also. Take care.

plateau lawn care
02-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I just lost my uncle unexpectantly due to heart attack his son rushed over and performed cpr on him. I dont want to sound bad but i am a firefighter and eveyone we have done cpr on has died within a few days if we did get them back except for one . But 90 years is great :angel:

stumper1620
02-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Sorry for your loss. 90 is a good time to be here and now he is in a far better place. The sad part now is that his wife no longer has her best friend. In the end, God will work his plan.
My thoughts and prayers to you,
I agree with PM, this is so true.

:angel: :angel:

mommacutz
02-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. But he has a new young healthy body now. May God bless him and you for caring so much.

TMlawncare
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
This is one of the hardest parts of our job. Some customers you get to know very well over the years and its almost like losing a family member when one passes. Last year alone 4 funerals.

derek1
02-04-2005, 05:57 PM

Well Said sorry about your loss

PR Fect
02-04-2005, 07:37 PM
This is one of the hardest parts of our job. Some customers you get to know very well over the years and its almost like losing a family member when one passes. Last year alone 4 funerals.
Had one every year for the last four. It don't get any easier. We take care of allot of retired peoples lawns. Sorry for your loss.