PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificing my body to cut lawns

Tight Angles
02-03-2005, 10:15 PM
A lot has happened to me over the last 8yrs of cutting lawns. I'm lucky that I still have all my limbs.

1. I had an unknown object fly out of the back of a walk behind and slice my calf muscle open & I had to get 6 stitches inside my leg

2. I got hit by a car from behind on a Dixie Chopper while riding down the street. Mower was totally fine, but the car had to be towed away due to a flat tire and the front bumper was all smashed off.

3. I was edging a sidewalk and a nail flew up and shot right into my leg. I was wearing pants and initially thought it was just a rock that hit me. I tried to pull my pants up but couldn't't because they were nailed to my leg.

4. I was in a hurry one Saturday morning and while cutting w/a walk behind I needed to change the deck height, so I stopped and reached under the deck to lift it up but the blades were still rotating, and I sliced 3 of my fingers. One was so bad that I had to get surgery on it and is a little deformed looking to this day.

The crazy thing is, after all these things happened to me, I still went right out the same day to continue cutting lawns because I own the business and don't have time to stop.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Does your wife have a good insurance policy on you? :D In 7 years the only thing Ive had to happen was stuck my hand under deck with blades turning (thought I had them off) luckily it just knicked 2 fingers real good. Several yellow jacket encounters but thats about it.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Iv had a few close calls with my eyes thatís about it. You find that gentle looking branch was really pruned by the homeowner and the leaves conceal its true shape and as you mower under/through it the end is a stub 1 inch thick. It stapes you in the fore head scratching you as it goes down to your eye brow skips your eye catches your glasses knocks them off as well as you head phones. Lands on your cheek and scratches you another inch or so before you can stop the mower which happens to be a ZTR on 25 degree slope 10 feet from a 4ft retaining wall that drops off to the road thatís what I call a bad day. And thatís not the only time I have found a branch that got under my glasses and nearly got me. Thatís really the only thing I worry about when I am out there.

Tight Angles
02-03-2005, 10:32 PM
tree branches can be a real pain. One time when going under a tree there was a hornets nest and I got stung real bad and broke out into hives.

Smithers
02-03-2005, 10:36 PM
thight angles, you should check out the Networking Forum...there is a Michigan section. a few of us meet every month.

sorry about your fingers. i am a part time and i guess have been lucky so far. knock on wood.

the scaper
02-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Welcome to manhood and the realities of - working - for a living. As you grow older you will certainly be amazed at what the human body can withstand. I wont bore you with my extensive list of battle wounds but I will say that Each day the words "be careful" should become more ingrained in your mind. :)

captaingreen
02-03-2005, 10:55 PM
tree branches can be a real pain. One time when going under a tree there was a hornets nest and I got stung real bad and broke out into hives.
HORNETS SUCK!!!!! Last year while weedeating down some thick ivy I was stung 8 times, I dropped my trimmer and proceeded to dance somersaults around the customers yard while looking up into my shorts for more of the little freaks. I must have taken out a few of them in the fury. This year I will be carrying hornet spray. :realmad:

SoloMow
02-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Does your wife have a good insurance policy on you? :D In 7 years the only thing Ive had to happen was stuck my hand under deck with blades turning (thought I had them off) luckily it just knicked 2 fingers real good. Several yellow jacket encounters but thats about it.

After last summer, I consider myself OFFICIAL YELLOWJACKET BAIT! I was stung on the back of the leg, arm, and neck. And, these attacks were on three different days at three different sites. ;) All were sustained in fenced backyards. Those SOB's love to hide their nests behind a fence post and under the top rails of wooden fences. I now carry a can of spray that can knock them down from 15 feet! If they fly, they die! :D

Cobra Jock
02-03-2005, 10:59 PM
I was weed wacking tday. I thought I had finished so I took off my sun glasses. I noticed one blade of grass so (without putting my glasses back on) I gave the ol stihl a little gas to cut the blade of grass and a rock flew up and hit me in the eye. It was one of those hits that would have taken the glasses off your face. I had my eye completely open and felt the rock literally move my eye. I can see out of it alright, it's just watering real bad tonight. Feel free to call me a lazy dumbash! :dizzy:

Greg

sailinstud420
02-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't have any real good stories, but I tell you one thing, all those scratches on your arms.... CHICKS DIG 'EM!

QualityLawnCare4u
02-03-2005, 11:06 PM
After last summer, I consider myself OFFICIAL YELLOWJACKET BAIT! I was stung on the back of the leg, arm, and neck. And, these attacks were on three different days at three different sites. ;) All were sustained in fenced backyards. Those SOB's love to hide their nests behind a fence post and under the top rails of wooden fences. I now carry a can of spray that can knock them down from 15 feet! If they fly, they die! :D

The last nest I got into I throwed the weedeater down and ran 100 yards back to the truck cussing and slapping all the way. Got in the truck and several of thos little angry bast%%ds came in a crack in the back sliding window and stung me right over each eye. I also carry a can or that spary that is good from 15 feet away.

Eddie B
02-03-2005, 11:26 PM
I had a seagull come after me and bite my arm, and I burnt my hand on a hot muffler. thats about it... wasn't too bad

MowinMachine
02-03-2005, 11:49 PM
one time last year we were digging post holes and i went to kick a flower bucket out of the way there was a bunch of hornets chased me all over i ran inside the shop and was running in circles then i went and got in a truck and they were flying around it i ended up getting stung 11 times

sgoalie23
02-03-2005, 11:49 PM
One day I was using the walk behind when it was wet out. I was pulling it back (belt drive) and i felt me leg slip out. My foot some how made its way under the deck. Thankfully it only took a nice clean cut out of my work boot. Another eighth of an inch, and there goes the big toe. Extremely close call IMO.

Tight Angles
02-04-2005, 12:37 AM
I actually have a picture of the nail still in my leg. I'll have to post it.

ChadA
02-04-2005, 12:44 AM
(Quote) "I was in a hurry one Saturday morning and while cutting w/a walk behind I needed to change the deck height, so I stopped and reached under the deck to lift it up but the blades were still rotating, and I sliced 3 of my fingers. One was so bad that I had to get surgery on it and is a little deformed looking to this day."

You guys are crazy. I will not even think about getting my hands near that deck unless the spark plug wire is off. Without my hands im SOL.

ChadA
02-04-2005, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Cobra Jock] Feel free to call me a lazy dumbash!

Lazy dumba**. Just kidding. Really though, You better be careful. We all know that when we least expect something to happen thats when it does. Besides eyes are hard to replace.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:14 AM
Iv had a few close calls with my eyes thatís about it. You find that gentle looking branch was really pruned by the homeowner and the leaves conceal its true shape and as you mower under/through it the end is a stub 1 inch thick. It stapes you in the fore head scratching you as it goes down to your eye brow skips your eye catches your glasses knocks them off as well as you head phones. Lands on your cheek and scratches you another inch or so before you can stop the mower which happens to be a ZTR on 25 degree slope 10 feet from a 4ft retaining wall that drops off to the road thatís what I call a bad day. And thatís not the only time I have found a branch that got under my glasses and nearly got me. Thatís really the only thing I worry about when I am out there.

Had a similar run-in with one of those friggin hidden stubs, on a ZTR as well. Skinned my head, ear, neck and shoulder real good.

That whole dang tree got cut down!!!

Soupy
02-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Many years ago I was cutting at a park me and my father ran (55 acre softball complex with park area, lots of trees) I drove under a branch that I didn't see (looking at something n the other direction) and it just about knocked me off the mower. I didn't realize how limber I was. Back then we had a tractor with a woods 3pt finish mower on back. This was a good sized tractor which wasn't easy to stop. It took a lot of strength just to push the clutch in and then you had to break. Anyway, I wasn't stopping this tractor. As I drove under this thing (I didn't see it at first) it took my hat off which got cut to pieces and I just went straight back (it pushed me back) doing the limbo. Luckily it had a very low back seat (actually just a ridge). I was so scared after that, I sat down for a while and thanked god that he didn't call for me right then. I could have been minced meat real fast. My back was hurting and my chest and face got scratched pretty good but I was able to shake it off and get back to work.

I have had many other close calls, but that is the one I can't believe I walked away from. This limb was literally in my chest (just cleared the steering wheel) and I bent back so far a Yoga instructor would have been amazed. I had that tractor on two wheels cutting slopes and it didn't scare me as bad.

PMLAWN
02-04-2005, 07:17 AM
First week with the new Toro Z with the roll bar, caught a tree with the roll bar. The roll bar became a pivot point for the branch. As the mower moved forward the branch bent. The one end was attached to the trunk of the tree and the other end (which was behind my head) started swinging forward. Hit me in the back and started to push me sideways and forward, which made me push the controls forward and go even faster. I was just about on my knees on the deck being pushed off the mower when the branch broke. There was no way I was going to get back on that mower and get it under control. The branch was still on my back and keeping me from backing into the seat. Good thing the seat switch cut everything off. This all happened in an instant and I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was something was pushing me off the mower and forcing the left handle to push forward so I was turning right and falling off the left. Thank God for safety switches.
Almost made the Darwin awards.

Not until everything stopped and I looked at the branch did I figure out what just happened. I watch trees a lot closer now. And I tell this story to my guys to try to let them know how careful they need to be.

Mark McC
02-04-2005, 08:12 AM
I don't have any real good stories, but I tell you one thing, all those scratches on your arms.... CHICKS DIG 'EM!

Chicks may dig 'em, but wives either look at you as if to say "Where was your mind when you allowed THAT to happen?" or just pat you on the arm and resume working on that stuff she brought home from the job.

Single women are much more easily amused.

meathead1134
02-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Bingo that happened to me twice this year on the same tree. I got hit by one not hard I though it was a pricker. The next week I got hit and it hurt, I stopped and went over to the home owner and he could not stop apologizing.

proenterprises
02-04-2005, 01:08 PM
for all of you that have been hit in the eye, wear glasses always. i always wear glasses now, no matter what i am doing, its just too risky to get hit in the eye.

TClawn
02-04-2005, 02:28 PM
I haven't done anything really dangerous but I've burnt myself on a muffler and an air compressor hose. I didn't think air compresser hoses got hot until I felt it.

ZaK18
02-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Last year I cut the end of my ring finger off changing the deck height on my 21" proline with the engine running. I had rigged up a poor mans BBC by attaching a twist tie to the handle to keep the mower running. Went to change the height and cut my finger off just below the nail. I had surgery to attach it, but it didnt take. Now I have a constant reminder to always pay attention. :)

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 03:49 PM
for all of you that have been hit in the eye, wear glasses always. i always wear glasses now, no matter what i am doing, its just too risky to get hit in the eye.
Now that's a bad habit of mine, no safety glasses. It's a habit I really gotta break somehow before I loose an eye out there.

Littleriver1
02-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Well, I've been lucky. A near miss or two is all. My grandson has been talking about helping me this summer. I've been printing a few things for him to read. This thread will be part of it. Sorry for your pain, but thanks for the posts. There has been a lot of posts on this forum about disconnecting safety swithces. I hope some of you hard liners will rethink your convictions.

Travis Followell
02-04-2005, 07:18 PM
I was mowing under a fence with a puch mower and hit a wire with it and it slung it right through my red wing boot tongue and right in to the top of my foot and hit a nerve. My whole dang foot went numb for a few seconds and it happened so fast and I thought I had cut my foot off by it being numb.

derek1
02-04-2005, 07:35 PM

besides bees thats about it for me as well!