PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Walk Behind

dwc
02-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Anyone have one of these or know anything about them? Anyone using them on bermuda and if so do they scalp very much?

http://www.snapperpro.com/comm_32_walkbehind_hydro.php

Thanks

PLM-1
02-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I had a 48" Hydro Pro. It was a nice machine. Never had any real problem to speak of. I just recently sold mine to buy a replacement.

lawncare3
02-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I had a 48" Hydro Pro. It was a nice machine. Never had any real problem to speak of. I just recently sold mine to buy a replacement.

I had the same one back when they were black. I recently sold it because I needed a smaller one for gates. I would have kept it. But mine was a double hydro not single.

ChadA
02-04-2005, 01:14 AM
With a 32" deck you shouldn't have to worry about scalping unless your planning on doing some off-roading with it.

Mower Man
02-04-2005, 08:27 AM
It's a Ferris/Simplicity/Snapper. Just different skins
Briggs & Stratton now owns them all.

A cross beteween a consumer & light duty commercial unit.
Nice for those small tight places, cuts well, but with a single hydro, you still have to help with a 'muscle steering.'

plateau lawn care
02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Looks like a good price but I would probly only use it for yards with gates not full time though.

dwc
02-04-2005, 09:25 AM
This would be only for those small gated yards to get in the back. Can some one tell me what the difference is in the single hydro compared to dual hydros? Is it the one that has brakes to stop each tire instead of each wheel controled seperately?

As far as scalping, on bermuda, if you dip down even 1/2" you are gonna leave a big ugly gouge that will take a couple weeks to grow back and look right. I am talking about like a hole in the ground that you don't see or an uneven spot in the yard.

T.E.
02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I've had my snapper hydro 36" cut for going on five years, and it has been a great machine for me. I've not noticed that it is any worse for scalping than anything else I have. The only thing that my mower doesn't have that it needs is electric start. If it gets down in the 40's it is pretty hard to get it started. The way I fixed this problem is I went to a synthetic oil and that helped a whole lot. Just something to consider. Tony

ed2hess
02-04-2005, 05:08 PM
This would be only for those small gated yards to get in the back. Can some one tell me what the difference is in the single hydro compared to dual hydros? Is it the one that has brakes to stop each tire instead of each wheel controled seperately?

As far as scalping, on bermuda, if you dip down even 1/2" you are gonna leave a big ugly gouge that will take a couple weeks to grow back and look right. I am talking about like a hole in the ground that you don't see or an uneven spot in the yard.
This unit may be like the Ferris which has only one pump for the transmission. This means you don't have control and pump for each wheel. The result of this is that you have to muscle the unit on grades to keep it straight. On two pump you drive one wheel a little faster. This unit is also harder to turn, again you have to provide a little force. However, I think the unit is better than a belt drive. It is good on reverse and flat yards.

gogetter
02-04-2005, 07:52 PM

I don't know much about Bermuda, but if you have a hole in the yard or uneven spot, you're going to scalp with just about any mower.

As far as how the single hydro works, I would strongly suggest demoing one for sure. I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be as far as having to "muscle it". I demoed the Simplicity version and it was quite nice. No real muscling needed, and definitely better then a belt drive.
Now I will say that I didn't get to use it on any slopes during the demo. Not a major issue for me, but I will probably go back and demo it again on some slopes before I shell out the money for one next season.