PDA

View Full Version : A few ideas... what do you think?

Eddie B
02-04-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm just sitting here bored and thought of a few things that I could do this year when the grass starts growing again.

1. Posting signs to poles on the side of the highway at intersections and stuff.
2. Offering customers a free cut for every new customer they refer. (new customer must have at least 2 paid cuts before existing customer receives free cut)
3. Entering customers into monthly or bi-monthly drawings to win prizes such as gift certificates to local restaurants.

My motive for the first 2 ideas is to get more customers. The drawings would be something to keep customers happy and have them think of me as something other than a guy pushing mowers for money.

Tim Louis
02-04-2005, 03:02 AM
Huh,
well first of all in my town if you go placing signs on poles you get cited for littering, and violations of sign ordinance, then you will be brought into court and ordered to either paint the pole you placed the sign on, if its metal, or pull out all of the nails and staples if any are existing in the wooden pole.
I do like the idea of offering a free cut to customers for recommendations, I've kicked that one around before.
lastly I give my customers the last mowing of the year free in order to keep them coming back, I would think that would be easier to keep your customers year after year, if you cant keep them around throughout the season your customers are either very poor or you are not doing a good enough job
Good Luck

JimLewis
02-04-2005, 03:48 AM
A professional company doesn't post their signs on poles.

The free cut for a referral is a proven and good marketing method. Many companies employ that technique.

The weekly drawing won't serve the purpose you intend it to. If you want your customers to be happy and "something other than a guy pushing mowers for money." there are lots of other, better ways to do that. But that's a whole other discussion.....

walker-talker
02-04-2005, 04:17 AM
I wouldn't go taping or nailing signs to poles. I myself have 50 signs coming in tomorrow. 3 color and double sided. I plan on putting most of them in existing client lawns. I will put some on public ground and see what I can get away with.

I also tell my clients that they will receive a free cut for each referal they send my way. The referal has to have me start mowing by May 15th, agree to weekly mowing and stay with me the entire season. The client that refers them will ONLY receive their free mow if the refered person abides by these regulations. They will also only receive their free mow at the end of the season, their last mow.

I would not advise having a weekly drawing.

I would not wait until the last minute to implement these ideas. Get started now. Send a letter out to exisiting clients and let them know of your referal program and also let them know that you want to put signs in their front yard. You could take it a step further and ask your clinet to put a sign up in their front lawn and give them a credit for a referal if you get a call off their sign. Hey....I might just use that one myself!

Good luck
Matt

jeffex
02-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Spend the winter making up a nice flier listing your services. List any references you can with phone number of customers who would welcome a call inquiring about your work. When the season is about to begin go door to door in the evening or on Saturday when people are home and hand out fliers. Take your truck and equipment and everyone will look out to see what your up to. If its not your personality to knock and ask if people need your service then at least they will see the person behind the flier. Mrs smith can read the flier and place your face with who will be walking around her yard each week. All you need if that first person in an area and others will follow. This is the MOST productive way besides buying customers I have seen or heard of to get customers.

Eddie B
02-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Spend the winter making up a nice flier listing your services. List any references you can with phone number of customers who would welcome a call inquiring about your work. When the season is about to begin go door to door in the evening or on Saturday when people are home and hand out fliers. Take your truck and equipment and everyone will look out to see what your up to. If its not your personality to knock and ask if people need your service then at least they will see the person behind the flier. Mrs smith can read the flier and place your face with who will be walking around her yard each week. All you need if that first person in an area and others will follow. This is the MOST productive way besides buying customers I have seen or heard of to get customers.

Yep... 5,000 flyers will be going out this year. Last year I put out about 800, and had 32 customers by mid-season. I've sent letters to last year's customers thanking them for their business and explaining this year's services and the referral program. I do agree with you... more customers come from seeing the truck and mowers in action than they do from seeing the flyer alone. Many other LCO's do post signs on poles and stuff here, but i'm not up for any legal issues. I'm just a kid tryin to make some money :)

Team Gopher
02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi BaileysLawnServices,

Good for you for thinking up ideas. Hey you never know when you are about to hit on something big. Keep thinking and trying things out.

walker-talker
02-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Here is a good place to get signs. I just received my 50 about 5 minutes, via UPS and they look fabulous. 50 of those cost me $360...that was without stakes and 3 color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5934113514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 03:07 PM
not bad walker. That is something that I will have to look into