PDA

View Full Version : New for '05: Revolutonary L&G Tractor Mower

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:41 AM
I've known for a long time about the following piece of equipment, new for '05. So far, everything has been hush-hush and there has been an extreme pressure to keep it that way, aside from the teasing press leaks in order to create a little early interest. With that said, I was under the impression info this unit as well as some others would be released after 2005 arrived. But so far it's mid-January and nothing.....

Now finally it's OK talk about it and there has been a heavy amount of conversation going on here that has been taunting me to talk about this new unit. So here goes........

This new unit is one of Kubota's new offerings for 2005 and it's in a category that was not discussed much here until recently. This unit I would describe as a mini-tractor. It's a little tractor that is the size of their garden tractors.

For a full description picture this.... Take a heavy duty frame the size of their G-series mowers. Now for body work, an updated version of the sleek T-series styling. For comfort, add a full suspension seat. Then put on 23x10.5-12 rear tires and 16x6.5-6 front tires.

Well now, so far many of you may say so what? An extra heavy duty lawn and garden tractor?

Well here is where it really starts to get good. So now we have the look and ruggedness of the machine. Now let's get into performance. Take that body and mount the same diesel engine used to power Kubota's ZD21 in a low-slung position in the frame. The goodies!!! The engine is mounted low for center-of-gravity and to also facilitate all shaft drive, while being able to maintain a hump-free flat operator deck. Shaft drive to the HST rear end, mowing deck..... and get this!!! AWD.........

So here we have an AWD diesel mini-tractor. Here is where it gets even better! Borrow the new 54" Performance Pro Deck which can be found on the Kubota ZG23. This commercial deck is best described and Kubota's version of John Deere's 7-Iron deck. Same shape, build and form. Heavy duty and deep. However, this deck has a better front baffle system in the deck. I found it to be a stellar side discharge performer on the ZG23.

So now we have an all shaft drive AWD mini-tractor with a commercial diesel engine borrowed from the ZD21 and a deep 54" commercial duty shaft drive deck borrowed from the ZG23. Now it gets even better, even more creature comforts. It has the same HST drive control peddle as the BX series tractors. Hydro everything.... deck/implement lift with dial-a-height cutting adjustment and power steering, as well as hydraulic PTO's / hydraulic wet type multi disc PTO clutch.

Impressive, but actually I haven't even gotten to the hot ticket items yet. It's the total drive system package that is truly innovative and revolutionary. What's awesome about this is that BOTH front tires are able to turn an incredible 70 degrees in both directions. Wow! wanna talk about a sharp turning radius!!!

But now everyone knows what comes along with sharp turning... Turf tears front the rear tires twisting or spinning while pushing against the sharply turned tires. Skid marks from when the front tires just skid instead of turning because they aren't getting bite and the rear is pushing them along. Last but not least, there is the turf tearing from the front tires of an AWD/4WD machine when trying to turn while the front drive is engaged.

But remember, I only said the awesome part was 70 degree front steering. The innovative and revolutionary part is yet to come. Kubota has addressed all the issues with their new drive system. Kubota named the solution 'Glide Steer".....

Without getting into the technical specifics, here is how the drive system works in a nutshell. As you are running along in AWD and you decide to turn sharp, since the front can turn 70 degress, something has got to give. It turns so sharp that the inside rear tire would tear the turf if something wasn't done. So what happens is, once you start to turn, let's say hard left, as you steer into the turn, the Glide Steer system begins to variably limit the left rear tire traction in the same ratio as you are turning the steering wheel. This is variable until the cut-off point where the tire would cause turf damage. Once you enter this steering angle it's turning so sharply that the left rear wheel must become fully disengaged and able to roll freely.

Wow!!! Now where this gets even better is in effect, the limited traction thru disengagement actually kills multiple birds with one stone on an AWD system. What happens is that you have maximum AWD positive traction at all times until you reach a turning point where it becomes a problem. Ever try turning a tractor with the Dif-Lock engaged? Anywho... the Glide Steer system creates a seamless controled traction transition. In doing so it also eliminates front wheel turf tears from AWD/4WD. How it does this is that the drive transitions to a point where the front tires are pulling the machine hard left and the right rear tire is helping in that effort because it's on the outside of the turning arc helping without any aid from the left rear. So the machine is pulling itself in the turning direction as opposed to conventional AWD/4WD which works in a push-tug-twist fashion at times.

All in all it seems to be one heck of a package. One that I'm certainly interested in, even if many others might not be. I've been waiting on a unit like this to come out for a long time.

I will follow this with more pictures.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:45 AM
Some more pics...........

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\2100 on hill.jpg

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\tightturn.jpg

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\sharpbag.jpg

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:47 AM
Now for the seasonally related pics.....

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\snowblade.jpg

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\blade.jpg

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\snowblower.jpg

geogunn
02-04-2005, 09:23 AM
envy--do you see alot of professional application for this unit?

GEO :)

dobehap
02-04-2005, 09:34 AM
I cant see the pics

65hoss
02-04-2005, 09:39 AM
So we have a shrunk down tractor with goodies. For some people with established businesses that need a garden style tractor mower this is great. Mainly due to the high price tag this machine will have. "This ain't your daddy's Murray." It looks like a garden tractor style machine, but its not in the same league as what others have been discussing. Its a sub-subcompact tractor. The smaller they get the higher the price. I'm sure the technology of this little tractor will make a great machine for some of you that are having problems with hills.

But if someone is buying one for added benefits...like the pto and powerlift ability, they would be much better off with the BX series. A BX series is really as small as you want to go to get any real tractor work done. Now if they put that technology into the BX series, then you have a really nice machine. Very versatile.

PMLAWN
02-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I can not see the pic.

Is there a PTO out the back.

LawnsUnlimited
02-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Hmmm, this forum is Commerical Lawn Care, now really what good is this machine for a company trying to make a living cutting grass?

DLCS
02-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I wanna see the price tag. I bet you can get a Kubota compact tractor for the same price or close to it. Same thing with the John Deere X595, you could go with a smaller compact tractor for about the same price. Now I realize its turning ability is greater than the average tractor but unless your mowing alot of steep hills then I don't see a need for this tractor. I forsee this to catch on with commercial operators or will this tractor be considered for homeowners?

MMLawn
02-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Dang, I thought it was going to be something useful...I believe I'll pass on the lawn tractor.

Fareway Lawncare
02-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Try One of these Bad Boys if you Need 4WD!

http://www.jacobsencommercial.com/products/outfront_rotary/turfcat_600/index.html

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:00 PM
I cant see the pics
Sorry for those of you that can't see the pics. Maybe it's my attachment methods along with your personal computer settings???

If so, those of you who can't see the pics probably can't see all the logo pics in my signature line either.... right or wrong?

dishboy
02-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Sorry for those of you that can't see the pics. Maybe it's my attachment methods along with your personal computer settings???

If so, those of you who can't see the pics probably can't see all the logo pics in my signature line either.... right or wrong?

Right, do you know what needs to be changed on my settings?

jtkplc
02-04-2005, 04:07 PM

right, that's the way it is for me.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:30 PM
No.... this little Kubota ain't gonna be cheap, and I wouldn't expect it to be. It's actually built with quality componets and powered with the best.

The drive system is something that really seems revolutionary to me. Kubota has been the one to step to the plate and actually do something here. Long ago Kubota bridged the gap between sub-compact tractors like the BX and Lawn Tractors with their line of G and TG lawn tractors.

Here they have done an even better job in the same size package by adding AWD for some great traction. But not only that.... this Glide Steer system closes the gap some between zero turns and units that steer with a steering wheel.... without the use of 2wd or all-wheel-steer.

As far as commercial applications for this mower, I see plenty. Matter of fact, a whole dang bunch in my operation and around my area. So far I have not been able to find one item on the machine that is not commercial duty worthy and you guys know I'm even-handed in my brutal approach and high expectations of equipment. After some extended use, I'm sure I'll be able to pick on a few items and tell you what the weakest links are.

My expectations of this unit are very high and I think it will fit several of my needs very well. It should deliver the goods in areas where ZTR's fall short, and it should do so without falling too far short of the ZTR in other catagories. Essentially it should fit the bill of a commercial lawn tractor a lot better than anything else currently available, nothing more, nothing less.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Right, do you know what needs to be changed on my settings?
Man, I dunno, maybe the powers that be can help us out on that one. Basically you cannot view the pictures because I linked them up off my hard drive by using the "insert image" icon instead of uploading each one, one at a time.

If we can upload multiple images, I'll do that for the time being though. The first picture was uploaded I believe. You should be able to see it with bar tires and chrome wheel covers. Let me see about the rest.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
First set of pics....

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Ah... loads links, that sux, but atleast you can see some pictures.

Shawns Lawns
02-04-2005, 04:58 PM
OK Ok how much is it? :)

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 05:02 PM
OK Ok how much is it? :)

I dunno, we shall see, but my guess is as much as a Z.

Fareway Lawncare
02-04-2005, 05:56 PM
I Don't Have Any Need for a Tractor but Why eXactly Would That Unit be Better then One of These Bad Boys.

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/f.cfm

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 06:09 PM
I Don't Have Any Need for a Tractor but Why eXactly Would That Unit be Better then One of These Bad Boys.

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/f.cfm

Fareway, can you read a ruler? Or a scale? Do you understand the concept of the turning radius? Center of gravity? How about the different manner in which this new AWD system works as opposed to convientional 4wd?

The hilling abilities are also better with the tractor, and so is the mowing deck by the way.

riches139
02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Nice tractor, but the headlights have to go! :dizzy:

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Nice tractor, but the headlights have to go! :dizzy:
Yeah, looks like something from an alien planet :alien:

If only it were lime green :alien:

Fareway Lawncare
02-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Turning Radius Mabe...But that Outfront Would Trim areas Much Better than Any Mid Mount Tractor & w/4WD should Take Hills Just Fine.

Regardless, I Have no Need for Either...Just Curious.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't have one and never really noticed but do most Z's come with cup holders like those Kubota's?

dishboy
02-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Some more pics...........

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\2100 on hill.jpg

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\tightturn.jpg

C:\Dusty Taylor\My Documents\My Pictures\Mowers\GR2100\sharpbag.jpg

Envy, I was wondering if you had seen this mulch deck design?
http://www.mowers-online.co.uk/itm01240.htm

gogetter
02-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Envy, I'm curious what type of work you would want to do with this?

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Envy, I was wondering if you had seen this mulch deck design?
http://www.mowers-online.co.uk/itm01240.htm

Yeah, that appears to be a Freedom 42 mulching deck from a JD lawn tractor that has been revamped slightly as an outfront deck. The blades counter rotate like a walker.

Thanks for the picture re-post, I couldn't make that work where everyone could view it.

Oh, and by the way, this Kubota also has a mulching option.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Envy, I'm curious what type of work you would want to do with this?

gogetter,

I don't live and work with flat terrain like the majority of guys here. Therefore I have to keep a lawn tractor in the stable to get what's not safe to get with the ZTR. So I guess you could saw lawn tractors pull what would be walkbehind duty.

So the first thing I would want to do is pick this unit up as a replacement. There are plenty of locations around here to use such a mower. That back lawn that slopes straight off into the lake, that front lawn that slopes down to an 8' retaining wall at the street, that side lawn that slopes directly into a fence, and that mountain top home where the lawn slopes into a tree line in all 4 directions.

There are also a lot of nasty commercial sites. They grade stuff as steep as will pass code in order to maximize parking space, ect. All in all, I feel this would be a better unit for the job of mowing these areas. But not only that, it would sure as heck allow me to core aerate a lot more area with ease using a tow behind. Just a lot of stuff like that where AWD and better control are useful.

With the AWD, Glide Steer, commercial deck, commercial diesel engine and other commercial componets.... the durability and productivity might even measure up to, and replace the small ZTR's as far as my operation is concerned. Why you ask??? Because this Kubota adresses many of the shortcomings of both the lawn tractor and the ZTR. Will it replace both in my operation? I don't know yet. Let's see what this machine is made of first.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Hmmm, I see what your saying......sorta. If one was just talking about mowing, I still think a combo of a ZTR and a WB would make more sense then getting something like that once you look at price, versatility and productivity (not for any ONE of those reasons alone, but for a combination of them overall).

With that said, if you are talking about using it for non mowing work (as you said, pulling an aerator, etc, etc.), I could see having it in the "stable" of equipment. But I still couldn't see it replacing a ZTR/WB combo.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Turning Radius Mabe...But that Outfront Would Trim areas Much Better than Any Mid Mount Tractor & w/4WD should Take Hills Just Fine.

Regardless, I Have no Need for Either...Just Curious.

Fareway,

That type of mower has been popular among crews around here for a long time. Either Kubota, Deere or New Holland front mowers, sub compact tractors like the Kubota BX, and a lot of Deere and Kubota lawn tractors. That's pretty much what the better crews have ran here for years.

Up until recently ZTR's and WB's were very non-existant here. I guess they never caught on that well here due to terrain. But there use has migrated in from the flatter areas to the south. I've seen more ZTR's after buying my first that I saw my entire life prior to that.

Anyways, those F-Series Kubota's and the like are OK I guess. But they are monsterous in size. The tractor alone is about 8 ft long and weighs 1300 lbs. Then you have to mount a mowing deck. Basically it's like mounting a deck on the front of a big all terrain forklift. Not exactly compact and nimble.

The only place I really see where the design shines is wide open areas with a lot of ornamental trees with low hanging branches or in spots where I used to hook up the 3-point finish mower to do back in the day.

Frankly, the cut quality falls short of my standards as well. So basically if I were going to get that bulky with my equpment or spend that much money..... I'd spend my money on something that could do a lot more than just mow.... like a sub-compact tractor, Ventrac, or Steiner, something like that and attachments.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 03:37 AM
Hmmm, I see what your saying......sorta. If one was just talking about mowing, I still think a combo of a ZTR and a WB would make more sense then getting something like that once you look at price, versatility and productivity (not for any ONE of those reasons alone, but for a combination of them overall).

With that said, if you are talking about using it for non mowing work (as you said, pulling an aerator, etc, etc.), I could see having it in the "stable" of equipment. But I still couldn't see it replacing a ZTR/WB combo.

Yeah, for me it would do a good job of upgrading my stable, since I have use for a tractor style mower and pretty much no use for a walkbehind. With this unit I get a commercial lawn tractor and something that can do my commercial lawn tractor work mo-betta. It should be able to do more work and do it better.

Will it replace ZTR's in my operation? I dunno yet. We will see. But I would not be surprised if it were able to, given my unique situation and set of challenges. Do I hope to be able to load out with this one unit and find out I can get just as much done in the same amount of time by week's end? Yes of course I do.

Not only would it be more cost effective, but it would also make life a lot easier for me. I wouldn't have to worry so much about the terrain of a prospective account, hazards, turf tears, multiple pieces of equipment, arranging 'rig routes' or adjusting rig routes due to weather, ect.

I face a little different set of challanges compared to most here....

You are right though, it's about versitility to a point, and to me ZTR's and WB's just don't have any. They are purpose built machines. They are built to mow grass like a mother on the type of terrain that is common throughout the US. I need a more versitle, compact piece of equipment that can mow grass like a mother, or close to it, even on uncommon terrain, without tearing everything all to s#it....

PMLAWN
02-05-2005, 08:21 AM
gogetter,

I don't live and work with flat terrain like the majority of guys here. Therefore I have to keep a lawn tractor in the stable to get what's not safe to get with the ZTR. So I guess you could saw lawn tractors pull what would be walkbehind duty.

I know that you have always favored the tractor style and I believe you would be happy with this. I would like this for the aeration season.
Does a "garden" tractor really have a better hill ability? (I too am looking at the hill issue.) And if so why? It looks like it sits as high as a Z. And does this thing have a PTO out back. That would make it cool.
Where are you? I though you were east of me in the flat lands. It sounds like you may be farther west.

TGIB
02-05-2005, 11:58 PM
The fulltime all wheel drive transmission you are describing has been available in the Cub Cadet 7000 series tractors for two years now. I believe the basic patents on this system belong to Shibaru, and is also used in some New Holland tractors. If Kubota is licensing this same design for their tractors AWD tranny, I can say that it works really great on fine turf. It has all the traction of a regular 4 wheel drive, but it doesn't tear or rip any turf no matter how sharp you steer the front wheels around in a tight turn.

The one limitation to the AWD system is when you head down a real steep hill the front wheels will not hold the tractor back or assist in any braking. The front axels wheel drive is controled by a pair of over running clutches and they will go to freewheel mode coming down a hill. The back axel and the two rear wheels provide all the hold back or braking effect there is on these tractors - just like on your zero turn mower, and you can get the same type of rear wheel slip and skiding that you may experience on a "Z" coming down a hill too fast. This is not a serious limitation, and is no worse than you could experience on a standard two wheel drive tractor, which always has its front axel in free wheel mode.

Fareway Lawncare
02-06-2005, 01:43 AM
You Kids and Your Lawn Tractors...

My Guess is that anyone w/more than a Few Years in The GI Industry Knowns the Scoop on Lawn Tractors.

Good Luck !

Scag48
02-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Somebody will buy one...:dizzy:

Envy Lawn Service
02-06-2005, 09:30 AM
TGIB,

You are mistaken on your assumptions. This is a totally different system. Those 7000 series tractors are recalled in case you were not informed.

Anyways, the Cub and New Holland system is a "sensi-trac on-demand type 4wd" that works basically just like the on-demand 4x4 on Polaris ATV's. It runs in 2wd at all times until it senses a rear wheel slippage. Then it engages the 4wd. This is also the same reason it acts as a 2wd when descending slopes.

The Glide Steer system is a totally different animal, about as dead opposite of that as it gets. It runs in AWD at all times for maximum traction until steering input creates the need for the drive to kick into variable limited slip and eventual total disengagement. But the front wheels still pull at all times. What disengages is which ever rear tire is the 'inside tire' during as sharp turn.

It graduates from variable limited slip to total disengagement out of necessity and to improve performance. See the front steers to 70 degrees, almost straight sideways. If the drive system did not do this several things would happen.

#1- The common push and tear, where the rear just pushes the font straight ahead
#2- If the tires did grab, it can turn so sharp it would tear the grass to pieces because the tires rotations and steering angles are working against each other.
#3- IF the front tires began pulling the machine around as sharply as it can go, it would cause the inside rear tire to twist divot and then skid backwards as the tire also trying to turn forward.
#4- It would never be able to actually turn as sharp as it's capable of.

Here's a demonstration of the level of turning ability we are talking here so everyone can get on the same page.

Oldtimer
02-06-2005, 10:12 AM
The Gizmo may be a start in the right direction. With all wheel drive it would do everything but hover plus you could make it street legal and eliminate a tow vehicle. Just think on the possibilities for a solo LCO.

Envy Lawn Service
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, I got to RIDE this bad boy today.... The GR2100 21hp diesel 54" cut and man ol man is it a piece of ingenuity! It's a real piece of work. I turned that puppy as tight as she would go and went round and round over crush run sand. You could hardly tell I had been there. NOTHING disturbs the ground under it LESS than this machine.

It's slick up one side and down the other. I give it an A+ in ALL areas except ground speed, which is a non-issue for me, given the local terrain. BUT you have to understand this was ONLY a heavy look at the machine and a test RIDE. I did NOT get to mow with it, as I am told their will be no demos of this mower for a while (no time frame). However, I have actually had a cutting demo with that exact mowing deck, because as I said before, because the deck is borrowed from the ZG 23/54" Kubota gas zero turn. Reports there are positive. However, this guarantees nothing because I have no idea if the blades are actually turned as fast on the GR2100.

I would have really loved to have taken it out for a hill filled full fledge cutting demo. But no dice there. I liked the machine so much I would have almost bought it with no demo though.

However, I don't care for the "box-o-chocolates" purchases because you never really know what you're gonna get. So I really must stick to the "no demo-no dice" purchase rules, as I think we all should. Also, although I have a lot of use for such a machine AND I should be looking to replace the old lawn tractor.... it's not really a SMART purchase for me at this time, not only because of the lack of demo availability, but because it is also not financially smart timing for me due to my exisiting equipment and recent purchases.

Any outfit only needs so many mowers, and to be a smart purchase for me it would have to be a purchase that kills two birds with one stone, as I would intend for it to. In other words it would be a replacement for my old lawn tractor and pull it's duties, plus I think it would also easily fill the shoes of my 48" ZTR. But that unit happens to be brand new at this time.

It's also a considerable purchase too.... so on to the cost...

List price is $8,199 BEANS!....... :eek:

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the update, the price seems OK. Does this thing have a PTO out the back or run a 3 point hitch in back. Thanks again.

Envy Lawn Service
04-08-2005, 03:36 AM
No problem, actually I'm glad it has perked some interest. I feel its a very revolutionary piece of equipment that deserves attention. I'd like to see it stay around, become sucessful and move even farther forward in development.

I don't feel the price is all that bad either. But I do think it should have a PTO and 3 point hitch for the price. However, it does not. The only Kubota attachments I am aware of at this time is the snow blower and blade. So what we have here essentially is the ultimate lawn and garden tractor.

However, it does have a PTO driven shaft drive deck and I believe this base machine will be developed further to a slightly larger 22, 25 or 28 hp diesel unit if the current model is sucessful. What I'm suggesting is one more model that would bridge the gap between the GR2100 and the larger BX2200 tractor. Something that would use a 54" minimum size deck, on up to the 60"... have a rear PTO and a sub catagory 3 point hitch and possibly be suitable for a small front loader. A Kubota version of Simplicity's Legacy XL or John Deere's X Series if you will.

PMLAWN
04-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Hay, Thanks for the quick reply. I see the insomnia is still at work.
I looked at the Legacy and it is only around 10K. I would like the PTO.
Thanks again,

Piedmont1
05-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Envy..I'm also from N.C....Piedmont Triad area. Have one on order for $7,000 + tax. That includes a $400 rebate...so you're looking at $7,400 + tax excluding rebate in this area. I'm downsizing & traded a Kubota B2410 w/60" deck...really looking forward to using this new innovative product.

This dealership has only received one unit but it was sold prior to arriving. Did get to see it & check it out before the owner took possesion. Mine is scheduled for shippment sometime in May.

Take care!

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Dang! $7,000 + tax = $7,490

My price is $8,199 + tax = $8,773

That's $1,283 difference..... I guess they figure they can get full list due to demand and also due to the demanding terrain we have here as opposed to what you have in the piedmont.

NOT FAIR :cry:

Oh well, gotta pay the piper I guess if you want local service.
Let me know how it does when you get it.
I was impressed with my 'test drive'
These things are really something......

Fareway Lawncare
05-01-2005, 02:49 AM
It's Just a Fancy Lawn Tractor Kids...Like a Hooker w/an eXpensive Hairdoo and a Good Paint Job.

captken
05-01-2005, 02:52 AM
It's Just a Fancy Lawn Tractor Kids...Like a Hooker w/an eXpensive Hairdoo and a Good Paint Job.

kudos, lmfao...I lived in New Orleans for a long time....

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2005, 03:13 AM

Very funny Fareway.... Hey, I thought you were going away for a while?
Going to be too busy for lawnsite....

You haven't even had your beady little eyes on one yet, so don't speak.

And to think you were just harping about how little innovation there is....

You need to go shut up, and I don't want to hear you say crap else about innovation in this industry. You nolonger have a right anymore.

This machine is one of the top 3 biggest innovations this industry has seen in years.... maybe even the TOP. I've been on it... I know.... and I'm already impressed with it by just a 'test drive'.... and I'm not easily impressed.

No other mower on the market can do what this mower can do... PERIOD!

Piedmont1
05-02-2005, 01:17 PM

That's $1,283 difference..... I guess they figure they can get full list due to demand and also due to the demanding terrain we have here as opposed to what you have in the piedmont.

Will do....hopefully it will be here sooner than later!

Sorry I miss quoted the current rebate...it's $300 not $400 on the GR series. $1200 is a lot of difference...are there other Kubota Dealers close by? Might be worth a drive down the mountain(s)...I'm sure you could still get it serviced locally.

Take care!

trying 2b organic
05-02-2005, 03:34 PM
This thread has been great, many here us tractors due to the very hilly terrain. I am interested in a comment from the experienced as to how a tractor handles steep hills vrs a walkbehind. ty Envy for all the info, btw is there a JD that comes close cause I have no Kubota dealer.

Lawn-Scapes
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
That was a very nice write up Envy. I'm glad you're excited about it.. hope it's everything you need it to be and more. Good luck...

Piedmont1
05-19-2005, 07:55 AM

Hey Envy,
GR2100 unexpectedly showed up at my house while I was fixing supper for the family. One of the Kubota dealership owner's brought it out and picked-up my trade-in. He tried to call my cell & got no answer so he took a chance I'd be at home.

She looks real sweet...espeically with the hubcaps...nice finishing touch to cover-up the factory white wheels. Did one tight turn & put her in the storage building. I'll put a good coat of wax on her this weekend & try her out. It's gonna be FUN!!!!!

Take Care!

Envy Lawn Service
06-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Hey Envy,
GR2100 unexpectedly showed up at my house while I was fixing supper for the family. One of the Kubota dealership owner's brought it out and picked-up my trade-in. He tried to call my cell & got no answer so he took a chance I'd be at home.

She looks real sweet...espeically with the hubcaps...nice finishing touch to cover-up the factory white wheels. Did one tight turn & put her in the storage building. I'll put a good coat of wax on her this weekend & try her out. It's gonna be FUN!!!!!

Take Care!

So please tell me... what do you think of it now that you have had a little time to play with it????

Armando Conti
06-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi,

Maybe I can't really se from the photos, but is this more like a stamped consumer deck? Is it really thick gauge and deep as a true commercial design?

Envy Lawn Service
06-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi,

Maybe I can't really se from the photos, but is this more like a stamped consumer deck? Is it really thick gauge and deep as a true commercial design?

Yes, the deck is stamped... but not of the same design as the rest of Kubota's stamped decks. This deck is borrowed from Kubota's ZG series of commercial zero turns. It's outer shell is very much like that of the 7 Iron commercial deck on John Deere's zero turns if you have seen one of those. The difference is that it is stamped of 10 guage instead of 7 guage like the 7 Iron and if has different front baffling. This still makes the deck just as thick and strong as the major majority of 'true commercial' decks. Most commercial decks only have 7 guage welded to the sides of a deck that is 10 guage everywhere else.

As for the depth... this deck is 5" deep which makes it deeper than some 'commercial' decks and just as deep as most of the rest.

Piedmont1
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
So please tell me... what do you think of it now that you have had a little time to play with it????

Hi Envy,
So far I'm very impressed. Obviously going from a B2410 to the GR is like a going from a Lincoln to a VW in term of comfort & ride. This is the quietest diesel mower I've ever been on...

Here are some of the positives & negatives versus the B2410 IMO:

1) Easier to trailer.
2) Easier to mount & dismount.
3) Easier to refuel.
4) Easier to mow under low branches & tight areas...turning radius***
5) Much easier to adjust mower height (turn of knob just like my old ZD21).
6) Better fuel economy.
7) Ease of general maintenance.
8) Price.

1) Not as comfortable.
2) No analog instrument gauges...all idiot lights.
3) No 3 point hitch.
4) Quality of cut...still excellent though for its size.
5) KRA (reverse awareness system)
6) Cruise control not as easy to engage.
7) Awkward to use HST pedal.
8) Parking brake activator (pedal).

Probably not fair to compare to a bigger & more expensive tractor but that's what I had to compare it to other than my previously owned ZD21. Definitely like the GR better than than the ZD.

Bottom line...would I buy it again...Yes!

*** B2410 also had amazing maneuverability for its size.

Take care!

Cutting-edge
06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
As a homeowner mowing 3 acres and in need of a new mower, I've been looking at all kinds of equipment lately. I looked at the Kubota G2460 next to the ZG20 and there is an obvious difference in the decks. What I'm curious about on this new machine is will there be a PTO? Back in the day, Kubota offered 4-wheel steering to get the turning radius down on these tractors but I don't recall if that was available with PTO. PTO will allow you to power a tiller, welder, generator, water pump, pressure washer, sprayer, most anything. As a matter of fact I am surprised more LCO's don't offer garden tilling in the off-season.

I'm in between one of two options at this point.

1) Get 54" mower at Lowe's and save cash for big Kubota with 2000lbs capacity on front loader (I studied Landscape Architecture and have a few ideas for my new place) or
2) Garden tractor with PTO and rent equipment as needed

At any rate, I agree the pricing is not that bad, just curious on the PTO.

Envy Lawn Service
06-28-2005, 03:02 AM
Unfortunately, the PTO's begin with Kubota's BX series.
Nice little tractors.

Now, there are other brands of garden tractors out there that will run stuff on the hydralics. However, take it from a guy who has been in that end of the business. If you really want to engage the ground.... get a tractor. You'll want nothing less than the previousy mentioned BX series.... and if you really want to dig in and work it hard you'll want MORE!

Now, for me the answer was not monster tractor most of the time. For me the real money came in with the small tractors.... Finish grading, landscape grading, ect. For these kinds of jobs the best answer was the smallest tractor that packed the biggest punch.

In other words, a low and stable small tractor that could really man-handle 5 foot implements, on one that could run 6 foot implements for the harder stuff. Just big and heavy enough to do the work. This makes for a setup you can take most anywhere in a lawn without destroying everything within your path.

Honestly, I do not know Kubota's tractor line all that well and about every brand has changed since I did that stuff. But if you have a New Holland dealer you can run by and check out their TC30 model. This is a size of tractor that you can do a lot of work with while not being too big or too expensive.

Take that TC30 info and find something comparable in a Kubota if you like.
Kubota usually has some great finance deals going on.

I'd look at a BX2230 or most likely larger tractor. Whatever you get make sure it's 4x4 with diff-lock. Then I'd order it with the shorter industrial tires. Some look pretty much like bobcat tires. These make for a lower, wider, more stable stance. Plus they serve well as a dual purpose tire for mowing (2x4) and work (4x4). Turf tires don't cut it for hard work and ag tires can be harder on turf.

Get a 60" belly mower, front end loader, box blade, aerator, tiller, sprayer, spreader...
The list goes on and on....
That's the nice thing about a 'real' tractor, even if it's a small one.

2Sam2233
03-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Envy Lawn Service,
I am an LCO in Alabama and I have a GR2100. No doubt they are the very best in design and engineering I have ever had the privilege of operating. My question is have you had any problems or breakdowns, and how many hours do you have on your GR to date?

Thanks,

Flex-Deck
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Yes, the deck is stamped... but not of the same design as the rest of Kubota's stamped decks. This deck is borrowed from Kubota's ZG series of commercial zero turns. It's outer shell is very much like that of the 7 Iron commercial deck on John Deere's zero turns if you have seen one of those. The difference is that it is stamped of 10 guage instead of 7 guage like the 7 Iron and if has different front baffling. This still makes the deck just as thick and strong as the major majority of 'true commercial' decks. Most commercial decks only have 7 guage welded to the sides of a deck that is 10 guage everywhere else.

As for the depth... this deck is 5" deep which makes it deeper than some 'commercial' decks and just as deep as most of the rest.

From the gist of your comments, it sounds like you are not very familiar with the term "guage" 7 gauge (approx .187 or 3/16") is much thicker than 10 guage (.1271 - .1419 or just over 1/8") The JD 7 iron deck is of very thick material, much thicker (7 guage) than most stamped decks (10 guage)

Envy Lawn Service
03-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey Envy Lawn Service,
I am an LCO in Alabama and I have a GR2100. No doubt they are the very best in design and engineering I have ever had the privilege of operating. My question is have you had any problems or breakdowns, and how many hours do you have on your GR to date?

Thanks,

Hey,

I read your PM too. I never did take the plunge on this machine despite the fact I wanted to buy this mower more than any other I had ever been on. I still want one bad for that matter....

The reason I restrained myself from buying it was that it was a brand new design and I didn't want to pay $8,199 plus tax to be a guinea pig for Kubota. I saw no weak points in the design or anything from what I could tell. I just didn't want to allow myself to sink that much money into an unproven design. So I figured I would wait around, let others try them, let them work the bugs out, ect...

Envy Lawn Service
03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
From the gist of your comments, it sounds like you are not very familiar with the term "guage" 7 gauge (approx .187 or 3/16") is much thicker than 10 guage (.1271 - .1419 or just over 1/8") The JD 7 iron deck is of very thick material, much thicker (7 guage) than most stamped decks (10 guage)

No Flex, you got it all wrong. I was only pointing out that the outer shell SHAPE was much like the John Deere 7-Iron.... and also pointing out that most commercial mower decks are 95% 10 guage construction.

I know the 7 Iron is quite a bit thicker and stronger... and that it's the only 7 guage stamped deck on the market.

In the end though, this Kubota deck is plenty strong, plenty deep and cuts great.

On a side note, a guy was telling me the other day that the 7 Iron is making it's way onto the tractors now. But it's only an option on the much bigger new tractors so far. (Starting with the 3120)