PDA

View Full Version : Time savings of 72" z versus 60"z

HazellLawnCare
02-04-2005, 08:49 AM
I have bid 2 large commercial jobs that consist of about 60 acres of mowing. The thing is not much of it is really wide open mowing so a wide area mower is out of the question. I already have 2 60" Toro zero turn mowers, I was wondering how much time I would be able to save if I were to go buy 2 72" zero turns. I have to keep the 2 60"s because they are setup to my bagging of large properties, so I would be looking at purchasing 2 more mowers. This does not concern me because there are both 3 year bids.

PMLAWN
02-04-2005, 09:03 AM
If the 72s will fit I believe that it would be a good idea.
Just be sure that there is not a problem with scalping.

jtkplc
02-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Here's a little math. A 72" is 20% bigger than a 60". Let's say you can cut 5 acres in one hour w/ a 60", you should be able to cut 6 acres in that same hour w/ a 72".

Lawn-Scapes
02-04-2005, 10:55 AM
You also need to factor in speed to the above statement/equation. I switched from a 60" Lazer to a 72" Dixie Chopper. The Chopper is 33% faster than my Lazer was. I believe I was almost 25% more efficient last season with the Dixie.

osc
02-04-2005, 11:02 AM
I had an Exmark 72" ztr that I used on a golf course we owned. It was very impressive. Great quality of cut and fabulous speed.

MarcSmith
02-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I actually sold a 72" toro groundmaster and replaced it with a 52 Scag Wildcat. I already had a 60 Tiger Cub the toro 72 was limited in its acess to areas and the poor cut due to scalping on even the smallest of hills.

I would really look at your entire job mix to see if you can utilize the larger mower at other locations. If not Buy two more 60's and option them out, comfy seats, cup holders ect, you wont have as many different size blades laying around either and your operators will be more comfortable, and if you need to you could always switch your baggers over to the new machines if you had a break down.

HazellLawnCare
02-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I had considered another 60" or 2 that way I could switch my bagging setup to one if need be. The only thing that makes me wonder is exactly how much time I would save with the 72" mowers.

MarcSmith
02-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Speed woud be same so you only gain in effiency would be the extra 12 or so inches you'd be cutting , which would be a savings about about 20% or so....

But I like the flexibility of having the same machines and not needing to maintain as big of a parts inventory......Blades and Such....If you can';t use the machines on any other properties then at the end of three years they will have low hours at least....

trk53
02-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Go to www.dixiechopper.com, under why Dixie you will see Productivity. There is a calculator that will let you choose Deck size ,speed, hours and overlap.

Envy Lawn Service
02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Another thing you guys are missing out on is the fact that the 72" will eliminate an entire pass of the 60" every 5 passes, and not only that, you eliminate the time it takes to turn around as well.

ealbertson
02-04-2005, 08:37 PM
I started with a 72 then thought I would give a 60 a try. It is a good mower but not nearly as efficient as the 72. My lawns vary considerably but I can use the 72 almost every where I can the 60 (other than areas the 72 won't fit of course). As far as scalping goes, it really isn't an issue for me once I got the hang of it. It's just a matter of learning how to position the deck through the valleys and over the hills. I still have the original 72 which is a 2001 model. I just sold the 60 which is a 2004 model and am replacing it with eXmark's new 72" XS model. I hope this helps.

Ed

DennisF
02-04-2005, 08:52 PM
The 72 would definitely cut mowing time. But if there are a lot of areas where it won't fit, then the 60 might prove to be more efficient. If you have to go back and cut those tight areas with a smaller mower, the 72 might not be as fast as the 60.

lawncare4u
02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
I had considered another 60" or 2 that way I could switch my bagging setup to one if need be. The only thing that makes me wonder is exactly how much time I would save with the 72" mowers.

Buy 2 SUPER Zz,They will go 15 MPH...that way you cut more with a 60''than a 72'''',,,,,,,,and in less time :cool:

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 02:51 AM
The 72 would definitely cut mowing time. But if there are a lot of areas where it won't fit, then the 60 might prove to be more efficient. If you have to go back and cut those tight areas with a smaller mower, the 72 might not be as fast as the 60.

I would say that statement applies to the average, which is why the 60" version seems to be every MFG's flagship commercial ZTR model.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 03:00 AM
Buy 2 SUPER Zz,They will go 15 MPH...that way you cut more with a 60''than a 72'''',,,,,,,,and in less time :cool:

Why not a 72" Super Z then?

In all seriousness, if personally given the choice between using the biggest mower deck that will fit and mow well, verses a smaller mower deck at a high enough rate of speed to finish at the same time..... I'm taking the larger deck and slower rate of speed.

These big areas are seldom smooth as they look once you are on them and secondly, the cut quality is better at slower rates of speed.

For these big ol' jobs where you are going to be on a mower a while reguardless, it might be wise to take a look at the offerings from Ferris, like the IS4000 or IS5000.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/l_4000.jpg

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Hey guys.... do yall see what I see in that picture I posted?

I was making sure the picture posted and saw the deck.

Now that looks like something new to me.

Look how deep that deck is in the front!

Is this the new Ferris deck that I've heard rumors about?