PDA

View Full Version : what credit card company for gas purchases?

contourbs
02-04-2005, 10:34 AM
which company to have a gas card for?

MarcSmith
02-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I would not use a "gas" card per say. Why not use a credit card (providing you pay it off each month) that has the points programs. LIke frequent flyer miles or Discover, which gives you money back each year....

I had a Gold Citi Bank American Airlines Visa that I used for the business and they actually sent me a statement each year and broke down my purchases by group...IE food, fuel, parts, ect... Plus I got 3 miles for every dollar I spent.

MacLawnCo
02-04-2005, 11:09 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93893

Kelly's Landscaping
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
We use the American Express corporate card for most everything aside from racking up 63,000 reward points in the past 2 seasons. We get quarterly statements so we never lose a gas receipt its all itemized for us and with our 19,000 a month limit we have not had any problems yet going over and ever being turned down.

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 11:20 AM
there is chase, citgo, and many more.

Unless you have a pretty descent size fleet I wouldn't bother with it. I looked into it before, but I just didn't feel that it was worth it.

JustMowIt
02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
which company to have a gas card for?

We use Quik Trip fleet fuel. Each truck has it's own card & ID, that is limited to 87 octane fuel, no more than 30 gallons daily, not usable for food etc.... QT sends us an itemized statement with mpg, dates, times, etc... If a driver is stealing fuel it is very easy to identify. QT also has the best prices on fuel in our market.

MMLawn
02-04-2005, 11:52 AM
We use the Americam Express Corporate Platinum Card and have since 1996. We also get the detailed statement each month and also Quarterly and at Years End already broken down in to catagories for us. There is no spending limit at all on this card (as with their Black Card also that most folks have never even heard of) so it will hold a $1K worth of gas or $100K worth of equipment purchase or such. The only down side is that to get the Platinum and Black Cards is by Invitation only from AmEx as you cannot apply for them directly because they have no set spending limits (AmEx will lead you to believe that the Green and Gold don't either, but they really do it is just hidden in their computers based on your income and spending/paying. I believe if they still have it that their Blue Card thing does have a set limit like a Visa/MC) and the years fees are kinda strong. If I remember correctly I pay like $400 a year for the main card and liek $150 for each additional one. The Black is $1500 a year if I remember correctly. We started off with just their Corporate Gold Card and later I received the invitation for a Platinum. I assume they base it on your spending/paying habits as I received the offer in about a year, but my dad's company he had his like 20 years before they offered. :dizzy: AmEx had the "platinum" level cards out for years before Visa/MC started puting that on any old card and with them it really means something as from as rewards as I travel several times a year to Las Vegas with those Rewards Point footing the bill.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
We use the Americam Express Corporate Platinum Card and have since 1996. We also get the detailed statement each month and also Quarterly and at Years End already broken down in to catagories for us. There is no spending limit at all on this card (as with their Black Card also that most folks have never even heard of) so it will hold a $1K worth of gas or $100K worth of equipment purchase or such. The only down side is that to get the Platinum and Black Cards is by Invitation only from AmEx as you cannot apply for them directly because they have no set spending limits (AmEx will lead you to believe that the Green and Gold don't either, but they really do it is just hidden in their computers based on your income and spending/paying. I believe if they still have it that their Blue Card thing does have a set limit like a Visa/MC) and the years fees are kinda strong. If I remember correctly I pay like $400 a year for the main card and liek $150 for each additional one. The Black is $1500 a year if I remember correctly. We started off with just their Corporate Gold Card and later I received the invitation for a Platinum. I assume they base it on your spending/paying habits as I received the offer in about a year, but my dad's company he had his like 20 years before they offered. :dizzy: AmEx had the "platinum" level cards out for years before Visa/MC started puting that on any old card and with them it really means something as from as rewards as I travel several times a year to Las Vegas with those Rewards Point footing the bill.

Damm I just looked that card up it does sound nice. I do have the Platinum one which was offered on the thickest nicest paper I ever saw written in gold leaf and I suspect knowing them it may have been real. It was the nicest invitation I ever got on a card. Came to me in a small greeting card size envelope with no questions no income verification none of that crap it had only one line sign here and its yours. The black card sounds out of my reach though what were you spending a month to get that offer my worst month was just under 10k and I felt that check when I wrote it.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I dont use a gas card but I use a card from Bass pro shop and Cabelas. You earn points for Dollars spent and I purchase clothing, foot wear and hunting and fishing goodies

MarcSmith
02-04-2005, 12:55 PM
You get to pay $400 a year for the privledge to use an AMEX Card. WTF plus 150 for each card. if you have three cards thats a weedy and blower every year.....

My Citibank was 75 a year with two cards.... Paid off each month so the CC company was making money on the yearly fees, and on the 2% sales fee they charge retailers.....But I am looking there are others that charge no yearly fee...and as cheap as airline travel is anymore, the points /miles programs just aren't as appetizing as they once were

Some places have stopped accepting amex as they charge the retailer a bit more % than Visa/MC....

Whatever works...I guess

proenterprises
02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
i guess this will be somthing for me to think about in a few years. since i am under 18, i dont have credit card (i do have debit). i always pay cash for fuel and get a recipt.

i imagine in a year or so, i will get a credit card and use it for gas, sunoco offers a nice program.

*****does any card offer a break on the gas price for using their card?*****

dfor
02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
I use the Chase Freedom Mastercard. I get 5% off of all gas charges (thats like 10 cents a gallon now) and 1% on almost anything else. No yearly fee. I think you still find the applications at Shell stations. It used to be a Shell Mastercard.

protouchlawn
02-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I like the BP/Amoco card issued by Citibank. They have a quarterly rebate program on the total fuel purchases. Also, my Shell card has a 5% discount on fuel purchases made on Tuesday or Thursday.

MMLawn
02-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Damm I just looked that card up it does sound nice. I do have the Platinum one which was offered on the thickest nicest paper I ever saw written in gold leaf and I suspect knowing them it may have been real. It was the nicest invitation I ever got on a card. Came to me in a small greeting card size envelope with no questions no income verification none of that crap it had only one line sign here and its yours. The black card sounds out of my reach though what were you spending a month to get that offer my worst month was just under 10k and I felt that check when I wrote it.

If I remember correctly we were spending about $250K a year on the Platinum.

MMLawn
02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
You get to pay $400 a year for the privledge to use an AMEX Card. WTF plus 150 for each card. if you have three cards thats a weedy and blower every year.....

My Citibank was 75 a year with two cards.... Paid off each month so the CC company was making money on the yearly fees, and on the 2% sales fee they charge retailers.....But I am looking there are others that charge no yearly fee...and as cheap as airline travel is anymore, the points /miles programs just aren't as appetizing as they once were

Some places have stopped accepting amex as they charge the retailer a bit more % than Visa/MC....

Whatever works...I guess

I agree, but at the same time those Rewards Point alone have sent me and the wifey to Las Vegas 9 times, 4 of those times First Class Airfare and had me staying in suites at Manadalay Bay, Mirage, and my personal favorite Ceasars Palace, so it is well worth the fee to me. But if you don't use it like I have then no it would not be worth it to pay that kinda fee.

twins_lawn_care
02-04-2005, 02:33 PM
We don't use any credit cards (as our goal is not to have to) but we do use a debit card through our bank which offers a Mega-Rewards program, which we get 1 point for each dollar spent, and then we cash in at the year end to get whatever we want. Usually adds up to a $50-$75 gift card, which is a nice little something for nothing as we look at it.

contourbs
02-04-2005, 03:10 PM
ok im a solo operation and spend proabley 75 dollars a week in gas, what card should i get, but i dont want a card for a certain gas station only. so what card do i get? :blob3:

Evan528
02-04-2005, 03:18 PM

Whatever works...I guess

If Im not mistaking its only the Amex platnum card that costs $400 a year. It has its benefits but I cant justify them. I have the standard amex card and pay $75 annually for it I think. I use the card for all of my business supplies/gas so its nice having no monthly limit. The rewards I earn have also gained me quite a few gift cards also.

Richard Martin
02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Shell/Texaco, Citgo, Exxon/Mobil and Sunoco. The Citgo is used for company gas only. I only get gas once a week and the Citgo is right on the way.

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 03:37 PM
ok im a solo operation and spend proabley 75 dollars a week in gas, what card should i get, but i dont want a card for a certain gas station only. so what card do i get? :blob3:

I wouldn't get one for that little amount of gas. But of course that is just my opinion

out4now
02-04-2005, 06:20 PM

Lots of guys here use Visa/MC at Costco because it is cheap in contrast to the other stations. If you don't live next to one though it would be a hassle. With Costco you do need to be a member so the cost may not balance with the benefit in your case. I think the Sams Club gas works the same way but never used theirs. Get as low a rate as you can find if you're applying for a MC/Visa and pay it off every month if at all possible and consider the reward progams, lots to choose from.Visa is accepted almost everywhere so I'd go with that if you can. jmy.02

jc1
02-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Discover has a gasoline rewards card that pay 5% on all gas purchased and 1% on everything else.

derek1
02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
I agree, but at the same time those Rewards Point alone have sent me and the wifey to Las Vegas 9 times, 4 of those times First Class Airfare and had me staying in suites at Manadalay Bay, Mirage, and my personal favorite Ceasars Palace, so it is well worth the fee to me. But if you don't use it like I have then no it would not be worth it to pay that kinda fee.

I have to agree American Express is the way to go. I started out with basic green rewards card at 65 and it is really nice to get whatever I want besides gas and also amex has rewards for just about everything check out there basic card if you do not want to be stuck with a really high annual fee.

bugspit
02-04-2005, 07:56 PM
What I've done works for me. I go past a WalMart quite often and their gas prices are the cheapest in town especially if you use their gift card, 5 cent discount I think.

I put $200.00 (cash) on the card, save the receipt in the "gas expense" envelop and renew as needed.

Simple, no debt and no credit cards. :D

lazer 46
02-04-2005, 08:54 PM

Citibank has a Mastercard called the dividend card. It is free when applying. As long as you pay every month there is no interest. You get 5percent off all gas purchases at any gas station for any kind of gas.When your saved total reaches $100 they mail you a check. I use this in my business as I am solo. If someone wants to give me free money, I am taking it. With gas prices going crazy that 5 cents on a dollar can add up.

ProLawns
02-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I have a visa card through AAA. They give you a small percentage back on gas purchases. I think it's around 5%.

out4now
02-04-2005, 11:41 PM
What I've done works for me. I go past a WalMart quite often and their gas prices are the cheapest in town especially if you use their gift card, 5 cent discount I think.

I put $200.00 (cash) on the card, save the receipt in the "gas expense" envelop and renew as needed.

Simple, no debt and no credit cards. :D

Now that would be handy. Is it just a reg. gift card or one just for gas like the old Mobil Go cards?

MarcSmith
02-07-2005, 06:48 AM
The Walmart is a refillable Gift Card....it can be used to buy food stuffs or other types of goods as well....

I get one for my folks all the the time (rv'ers) they love the $.05 savings on fuel....

lawn king
02-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Exxon/mobil will rebate 3% each month on the fleet card program!

meets1
02-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Maybe it has been mentions but I missed it. I use, along with my crew, a platinum GM mastercard.

I run everything on it and at the end of each month they send me a statement itemizing all expenses, as well as I can look my info up on the net and down load there catagories straight to our Quick Books Pro software.

If there is an expense that can't be tracked, each card has its own security # and then I can go back and see whose card that is and ask about the charge.

Plus I get 5% on all purchases. Now I also run all Chevy trucks so when it is time to trade new or buy used work truck, I can redeem the points.