PDA

View Full Version : Does double blades damage spindles?

excell
02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I bought a 60" Toro ZTR at the end of the 2004 season and was wondering with the talk of double blades on the mowers, will that affect and/or damage the spindles?

I have never used double blades, is the cut a huge difference?

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 11:25 AM
some people will say that the doubles do a good job and some will say they notice no difference. Personally with me I have never noticed a difference in using doubles. Also I have noticed a slight decrease in HP by using doubles

lawnchopper
02-04-2005, 11:55 AM
I was wondering this myself. I would think you'd have to make sure that all the blades are balanced accuratly. On our GD super surfer we put double blades on. Gators on top and high lifts on the bottom and just cranked them down. We got better clipping dispersal which was a problem on our SS. There defintily was a loss of HP however.

rodfather
02-04-2005, 12:02 PM
We've never had a problem on any of our machines running doubles...just remember to engage the blades at a lower rpm.

FrankenScagMachines
02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
No problems here... Rarely have used them on the Ferris Z, but the Exmark TTHP always has doubles on it, my favorite combo is gators on top of standard lift blades... works great on an Exmark, best mulching action, best dispersal, great vacuum and cut as well. Works well in wet or dry and leaves. Best all around combo IMHO. Used to have an old Scag walk behind also, used same doubles combo on it. That combo also uses less horsepower than double regular blades (which I don't like the way they discharge BTW, but just my preference).
Is yours the new TurboForce deck? I don't think anyone has commented on here about running doubles on it... But, the way its deck is designed, it should not need doubles as much as other mowers since you can adjust the deck easily.

KathysLGC
02-04-2005, 01:30 PM
i think the most important point of damage risk is in the balance of the blades. If they are balanced and you engaged the blades at a lower rpm you shouldn't have any problems.

Jason Pallas
02-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I've often pondered this same question. From my own experience, I think that the doubles actually stabilize the balance on the spindle bearings and produce less wear. It's a little like putting a bigger flywheel on an engine crankshaft - a larger (doublebaldes) flywheel can be slightly out of balance and not have as big an affect as a smaller (single blade) flywheel that is similarly out of balance. The larger weight distribution forgives some of the disparity in balance. Thus, I believe, that as long as the blades on a double blade configuration are reasonably in balance, the wear and tear on the spindle assembly/bearings is actually less than with singles. But you willnotice a drop in engine HP and should defintely engage the blades at a lower rpm. Hope that helps.

PR Fect
02-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Excell, we put on our Toro 52 inch Z master, and then added a Quickchute. Love the set up! Keep them greased. I engage them a full rpm. 23 hp Kohler bogs down allot at low rpm. I worry alittle about the clutch, but so far no problem, and the cut is great. Did modify the spindles with a bastard file and a small hand grinder. I will try a few pic's.

PR Fect
02-04-2005, 07:10 PM
OK so thats what it look like from TORO. And this is after I got ahold of it!

PR Fect
02-04-2005, 07:12 PM
And with the blades. Gator on top, Toro high lift on bottom.

PR Fect
02-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Lets go mowing!

MImowerkid
02-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I haven't seen that before I just assumed that you stack 2 blades on top of each other ? how did you make sure that that was even and balanced correctly ?

PR Fect
02-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I haven't seen that before I just assumed that you stack 2 blades on top of each other ? how did you make sure that that was even and balanced correctly ?

Blades are balanced, brand new. Spindle in vise, level. Spindle level in vise after.

excell
02-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks alot guys!! First, it is the turbo deck, love it. Will try the doubles and go from there.