PDA

View Full Version : Star Blade on Edger

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I recieved a new order of goodies yesterday and one thing I ordered was a star balde for my handheld edger. :rolleyes: Well I put it on and had trimmed about 20 feet of my side walk and the engine went ZZZZingggggggg and I look down and the blade isnt turning ;) It was a Ryobi that I had used for 2 seasons and it was cheap well not really it probably cost 1/2 what a good one would have. I still have my walkbehind edger to fall back on, but it is 10 years old. Instead of a new blower I may be in the market for a new stick edger and put the blower off till fall of the year. Im just wondering if that star blade was just too much for that edger or if I had just got the best use of it in 2 seasons? Has anyone else had a bad experience with the star blades?.
Oh btw the Ryobi was a split boom trimmer and I could get another lower 1/2 for it or probably a new cable but I dont really see any use in sinking more money into it. I still have the weed trimmer 1/2 and can get some use from it around the house

MMLawn
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Well I recieved a new order of goodies yesterday and one thing I ordered was a star balde for my handheld edger. :rolleyes: Well I put it on and had trimmed about 20 feet of my side walk and the engine went ZZZZingggggggg and I look down and the blade isnt turning ;) It was a Ryobi that I had used for 2 seasons and it was cheap well not really it probably cost 1/2 what a good one would have. I still have my walkbehind edger to fall back on, but it is 10 years old. Instead of a new blower I may be in the market for a new stick edger and put the blower off till fall of the year. Im just wondering if that star blade was just too much for that edger

Yeah that would be my guess as I have them on our RedMax ones with no problem.

packerbacker
02-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Buying a Ryobi anything is the first problem. Anything they put out is junk!

Mycannon
02-04-2005, 05:04 PM
First off you don't use a blade like that on a stick edger the shaft is a flex shaft and will not hold up to a blade like that even on a commercial stick.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Buying a Ryobi anything is the first problem. Anything they put out is junk!
This edger has been used 1 and 1/2 seasons, starts on the 2-3rd pull each time and was abused alot cutting in new walks. Im not complaining I think it done very well to be a home owner model

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2005, 06:39 PM
First off you don't use a blade like that on a stick edger the shaft is a flex shaft and will not hold up to a blade like that even on a commercial stick.
Interesting, I have been searching the sites and comparing. Tanaka are cable drives (8 layers), Echo (4layers) cable, John Deere flex shaft
Stihl, redmax and Shindiawa are shaft drives
Kawasaki didnt state how theirs are driven

PTP
02-04-2005, 07:54 PM
I doubt that the star blade did it. I had a Ryobi for a couple of years a while back and broke in the same place. I was going to change out the cable but as far as I can tell, they don't sell it.