PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of vehicle mileage

AboveTheCut
02-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Does anyone out there have a handy spreadsheet or something (ie. log sheet) to help keep track of mileage, etc. for a truck that is used for both business and personal use. I'm trying to be better prepared next year at tax time. I thought I would check here before re-inventing the wheel and making my own. Thanks in advance.

brownwm@att.net

Woody82986
02-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I use a legal pad for my mileage. Each sheet is a day. This is the easiest way to do it I have found. I keep track of time from the minute I leave the house until the second I pull back into my driveway. I keep track of miles driven and the odometer reading. Keeping track of the time as well helps me know how long everything takes from mowing to drive time in between places. If you want a spreadsheet you could have probably already made one with the time it took to write out this post.

grassrootsinab
02-04-2005, 04:16 PM
I found a nifty little mileage program for my Palm Pilot ( I think I had to pay $5 off a download site). I keep track of all my clients on an Excel spreadsheet on the Palm pilot so this is kind of handy. The problem I have is maintaining the log.

Jeff

Evergreenpros
02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Does anyone out there have a handy spreadsheet or something (ie. log sheet) to help keep track of mileage, etc. for a truck that is used for both business and personal use. I'm trying to be better prepared next year at tax time. I thought I would check here before re-inventing the wheel and making my own. Thanks in advance.

brownwm@att.net

At most office supply stores they have a very inexpensive little book which is a vehicle mile log. I think it's less than a buck.

Eddie B
02-04-2005, 06:05 PM
i'll post a spreadsheet when I get home later

grass_cuttin_fool
02-04-2005, 06:19 PM
I just use a small notebook and write the mileage down each morning and at the end of the mowing day

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I should be running a computer in each truck with a database this year. The user being myself or the second truck can enter information throughout the day such as vehicle information, start and stop times on each lawn and so forth.

procut
02-04-2005, 07:58 PM
I also use a little book I found at an office supply store. It traks odometer out and in. I think it costs less than a couple bucks.

bugspit
02-04-2005, 07:58 PM
I found a nifty little mileage program for my Palm Pilot ( I think I had to pay $5 off a download site). I keep track of all my clients on an Excel spreadsheet on the Palm pilot so this is kind of handy. The problem I have is maintaining the log.

Jeff

Same here, I update on rainy days and the winter.

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
02-04-2005, 08:25 PM
We go to the office supply store and buy the mileage books. They are already laid out for you and only cost about $1.00-2.00.

tiedeman
02-04-2005, 08:26 PM
i just use an excel spreadsheet

1grnlwn
02-04-2005, 09:02 PM
My truck is logoed and all my miles are business. So I listen to the stereo.

out4now
02-04-2005, 09:31 PM

Jeff

Out of curiosity where'd you find it?

plateau lawn care
02-04-2005, 09:36 PM
dayplanner....

Eddie B
02-04-2005, 09:48 PM
daily expense log for gas, equipment, etc.

gogetter
02-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Last year someone had posted a copy of their "Daily Log Sheet". It has date, a box for each customer being cut that day, start time and end time for each customer (this is great for tracking how long a lawn actually takes), and at the bottom it has total # of cuts for that day, total time, average time.

And then there's the start and end mileage, total mileage, and fuel tracking.

It's a great and simple sheet. I wish I could recall which member made it and posted it here. I was able to copy and incorporate my company name into the top in place of his company name.
I didn't bother using it last year because I got it kinda late in the season. I look forward to using it this coming season so I can track everything for the whole year.

And unfortunately I'm computer stupid, and although I can scan it in, I can't figure out how to resize it so I can post it here. Hopefully that member will see this thread and post it again. Or try a search for "route sheet" or "daily log" or something along those lines.

This way you can track other stuff besides just mileage, and have it all on one sheet.

maelawncare
02-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Hopefully he can, im curious to see what it looks like. If you want to email the file to me, i can resize it for you

gogetter
02-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Okay, found the thread with the post. It's the post from sgallagar (sp?).

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=59049&highlight=route+sheet

For some reason, I can't open his attachment now. But I already had printed out one with my company name on it when I first saw it, so now I can just make as many copies as I need.

P.S. The sheet as it is now only has spaces for 9 customers for the day. It obviously could be customized for how ever many customers you generally do in a day.

macaw
02-05-2005, 09:13 AM
I use pocket Excell on my PDA then transfer to Excell on my decktop In Windows
mobile software 2003 there is a sample for mileage that would work well for both business and other use.