PDA

View Full Version : Would you advertise in this??

Gautreaux's LNG
02-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I want to start a landscaping newsletter. It would be a 4 page publication, with articles regarding landscaping and lawn care. It would run March - August (6) months. There would be advertisement sold to local nurseries, landscape companies and lawn maintenance companies.

There would be a "Landscape of the Month", the landscape's can be nominated by the companies who perform the work or HOA's or anyone.

Also a Business of the Month, basically if you bought a display ad (6) total display ads in each issue you would get a Business of the Month article written about you with a picture.

There would be a Landscape Services Directory on the back cover. The back cover would also contain a continuation of an article from the front cover. The Landscape Services Directory would have space for 9 companies to list their name, description of services and phone number / website if any.

The Newsletter will be sent as an insert in a local newspaper, once a month for six months. Their circulation is 30,000 papers. I would also drop off copies of the newsletter to each advertiser.

I am looking for no financial gain, just a way to get some affordable advertisment for me and some of the other small businesses in the area. I can get the publication printed (light green paper included), folded and inserted into the newspaper (30,000 copies) for $1500.00 (and change) a month.

I would have to sell ads as below:
(1) Front cover ad: (3" x 4" display ad) $350.00 a month
(2) Inside pages ad: (3"x4" display ad) $250.00 a month
(2) Inside pages ad: (business card size) $100.00 a month
(2) Back cover ad: ( business card size) $75.00 a month
(9) Landscape services directory: $50.00 a month ($250.00 is paid upfront)

My thinking: People who are interested in the services we provide will be the one's reading the newsletter, so you're reaching your target audience. And you get in 30,000 homes every month!!! You would only be paying for the advertisement in the busiest months of our season. It would require the a full six month agreement because to get the price down I have to guarantee the paper 6 months of inserts.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

LLCO
02-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Interesting concept. I actually know of a group from where I am at that is actually trying to create a distribution channel very similar as a means to deliver advertising for thier businesses. They would not allow for advertising for similar services. The concept is great and truely out of the box but if I am understanding you correctly, your company would be mixed in with your competition. It might be worth trying to sell the space to similar service businesses in the area (i.e. Day Spa, Maids, Doctors, Dry Cleaners, Alarm Companies, Arborists - if it is no one of your services, etc.)

Also, are you sure that you can get a 4 page glossy newsletter produced and distributed for $.50 per piece at a quantity of 30K? I have done one page double sided 4/4 inserted for about $.15 per at a quantity of about 200K. The best we could do for production was $.08 per and there was no binding, stapling or production (we used inhouse) labor needed.

Good Luck.. I would love to know how this one works out.. get out of the box thinking.