PDA

View Full Version : Here we go

riches139
02-04-2005, 08:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4355620943&rd=1&tc=photo

How bout that price?

K&L Landscaping
02-04-2005, 08:03 PM
I sure hope they never catch on. Probably to pricey for most.

lqmustang
02-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I've seen that one before I think. I'll worry more when they design an affordable mower that guides itself without any user input.

Carolina Cutter
02-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Did you watch the video??

Heck....I could just sit in the truck with the AC going and still get paid....LOL

smlavin
02-04-2005, 11:33 PM
This I don't worry about. For half the price a homeowner could get a cheap rider that would last years, cut the yard in half the time or less, and be a whole lot more fun than sitting in a metal folding chair. If the homeowner is lazier than that they call someone like us.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Here's one that's being touted as a "commercial" mower:

http://www.selfguidedsystems.com/index.htm

This one was even in one of the trade magazines. Check out the video. It takes along time to load, but has more info then the website does.

I don't know the price. But I'll bet it's up there. It's funny, they list the people responsible for developing it and their credentials, and none of them have any experience in the green industry at all. Interestingly, many of them worked on the Segway together (that two wheeled scooter thing).

I guess the idea is that while you have the mower mowing, you would string trim, edge and blow. I dunno!
I would think you would finish before the mower though, then what?

Plus they made it with a 38" wide cutting deck, so it won't fit through many gates (showing they have no personal experience in the real commercial mowing world).

To further show that they have no real world experience in the commercial cutting industry, on the video they say you can cut a lawn for only $2.
I guess gas is the only costs we have huh?

Oh well, I know robotic mowers are nothing new, I just don't recall the others trying to claim they were a "commercial" mower.

jeffex
02-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Worry hell! When they perfect it I'll buy a bunch . They mow zones in the yard that is controlled by reflectors. I'll get 4 and they will be done mowing when I'm done trimming. Just like haveing an employee cutting while your trimming only with different headaches. I bet 4 will cost as much as a ZTR. If they are 38" cut it looks like you could lift it at an angle through a gate then start it up and get the trimmer. It would be like a whole crew of cutters without having to stop at 7-11 . I wouldn't worry just adapt to the technology. I would still carry a regular w/b because i bet they need lots of fixin". Little old ladies make up 75% of my customers and I still dont see them buying one of these .

op4_camper
02-05-2005, 08:30 AM
If they are 38" cut it looks like you could lift it at an angle through a gate then start it up .......

In till the first a s s does that while its running.

RedWingsDet
02-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Ive seen this before, I think it was posted a few weeks ago...

But...

I wonder what Osha would say if they caught a LCO using one!!!

I bet your ass would be grass!

Hell, if Osha catches you using a trimmer without a guard, you can be put out of business, or fined big time!

Mo Green
02-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I think the price is much higher than the demand for a mower like this.

Mark McC
02-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I think these are very interesting machines that will tumble on a slope and the homeowner will become ambulatory again. I also think it'll be very interesting to see the look on a homeowner's face when the widget starts devouring petunias.

There was a time when software companies tried to persuade computer users that a program could turn a person with no writing skills into a polished writer. Like mowing a lawn, though, the originator of the activity has yet to be duplicated, let alone surpassed.

Twenty years from now, check out one of those "time capsule" shows and see if these items don't show up on the roster of great ideas that weren't so great after all.

Besides, when you examine how long it'll take these machines to mow and add in the fact that the homeowner has to keep an eye on the brute the entire time, most will conclude that they might as well get off their duffs and mow it themselves. After all, it's faster and it may be the only exercise they get that weekend.