PDA

View Full Version : Looky Looky Exmark 26"

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Who wants all the goods on the new Exmark 26"?

Give me 5 minues and I'll have it posted.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks to Dan from Exmark for getting me out the info...

brucec32
02-04-2005, 09:00 PM
It appears to be password protected

Jason Rose
02-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Ok, all I get is a page that says "welcome to the admin system" and wants a username and password.

thanks for the fix, I posted and then saw that it was now a pdf file. Awesome looking machine! I'm almost ready for a new 21" and didn't know wether to go john deere again or with a new honda they have coming out but I really like the 26 inch cut idea, it's just a little pricy for a machine that sits on my trailer most of the time. cool idea though!

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Sorry guys try again, I tried to link off my site but attached the file instead. Should work now.

Turf Dancer
02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey thanks for getting this up! I also got an email from Dan about this last week and posted what he had told me on another thread.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey thanks for getting this up! I also got an email from Dan about this last week and posted what he had told me on another thread.

Hey no problem, I just received it tonight. I guess they finalized their promo for it. Here is what Dan said:

Jeff,
Yes we will. In fact, we will be introducing it at the end of this month. Inventory at the dealer will not be present unitl mid to late March so I have attached a PDF file for you to review. Please keep your eye out for this machine and look for it to be added to our website March 1.

Thanks for your interest!
Dan

So there you go....a lawnsite exclusive I bet...

Turf Dancer
02-04-2005, 09:13 PM
I have one reserved from a local dealer who is saying the second week of April. They are being released at different areas of the country at different times according to the two dealers I do business with.

treemeat
02-04-2005, 09:14 PM
awesome, thanks Jeff.

:waving:

nitrotim
02-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey no problem, I just received it tonight. I guess they finalized their promo for it. Here is what Dan said:

Jeff,
Yes we will. In fact, we will be introducing it at the end of this month. Inventory at the dealer will not be present unitl mid to late March so I have attached a PDF file for you to review. Please keep your eye out for this machine and look for it to be added to our website March 1.

Thanks for your interest!
Dan

So there you go....a lawnsite exclusive I bet...

How much is going to run us?

treemeat
02-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I want one with 8 hp . . . :cry:

is that bag larger than a regular pro-line? it looks like it will dump a lot easier.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't remember if I mentioned my location to him or not. So release dates could vary.

I'll be thinking it over this weekend. I also looked at the Encore 26" which I posted on the other thread. 8.5hp b&s engine and 21" rear wheels. Encore does not really have a dealer network set up yet for us so it may be the Exmark.

Turf Dancer
02-04-2005, 09:17 PM
The price quotes I got from my dealers were $1399 from one dealer as a promo price and $1500 from the other.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I want one with 8 hp . . . :cry:

is that bag larger than a regular pro-line? it looks like it will dump a lot easier.

3 Bushels so that's up .5 over the Metro 21. I got quoted $1900 Canadian on the Encore and replied to Dan asking MSRP for us Canadians.

Turf Dancer
02-04-2005, 09:25 PM
The dealer I am getting on from had a prototype there the other day he said the bagger is like the bagger on a Honda. It is better than the type used on the Toro and Exmark 21"

Fareway Lawncare
02-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for Getting the Link Up.

Cnadian MSRP-26"Metro/6hp Kaw./BBC 1833.00 + tax.

The Encore 26" w/the Big Rear Wheels is A Large Piece of Crap.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for Getting the Link Up.

Cnadian MSRP-26"Metro/6hp Kaw./BBC 1833.00 + tax.

The Encore 26" w/the Big Rear Wheels is A Large Piece of Crap.

Haha, thanks Fareway.....

Cobra Jock
02-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Are they plastic wheels? ;)

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Are they plastic wheels? ;)

Diecast Alminium with bearing assembly.

treemeat
02-04-2005, 09:39 PM
the shape of the deck, the height adjustement castings, drive cable adjuster position and blade-clutch lever remind me of a john deere 21 . . . hmmm

and is that a new kaw engine design? anyone know the cc's?

brucec32
02-04-2005, 09:51 PM
concerned that it lacks enough power for mulching. I have the 6hp briggs on a 21" Toro and it bogs in heavy Bermuda. I assume the Kawi on this has more torque, but not sure how much.

Assuming one has trailer space, a pistol grip 32" wb might be a better investment if the prices mentioned are true. A 32" can mow medium sized areas with a velke when needed.

A lighter residential version might sell well, however. But a $1500 small mower is priced out of most residential's budget. They see $1200 Murry riders sitting at Home Depot. It'd be a hard sell to the inexperienced.

gogetter
02-04-2005, 09:53 PM
The price quotes I got from my dealers were $1399 from one dealer as a promo price and $1500 from the other.

Man, with all respect to Exmark, that's just too much money for a mower that size (from any brand).
I'd personally choose something like the 32" Bradley (Havener, or whatever name you want to buy it under) for under $1500.

I can't open the attachment, I'm assuming it's a self propelled mower? If so, what is the top speed? My guess would be that it's slower then the 32" Bradley.
So, faster mower, wider deck (but certainly not too wide to be used ANYWHERE), and the same or less money.
It just wouldn't make sense to go with the 26".

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Man, with all respect to Exmark, that's just too much money for a mower that size (from any brand).
I'd personally choose something like the 32" Bradley (Havener, or whatever name you want to buy it under) for under $1500.

I can't open the attachment, I'm assuming it's a self propelled mower? If so, what is the top speed? My guess would be that it's slower then the 32" Bradley.
So, faster mower, wider deck (but certainly not too wide to be used ANYWHERE), and the same or less money.
It just wouldn't make sense to go with the 26".

4.1mph.........

A 21" Metro is $1200 up here I believe so $600 more investment.

dishboy
02-04-2005, 10:00 PM
I could not make out the text very well, can anybody confirm, I thought they said operating R.P.M is 3900? If that is correct that engine will probably get the job done.

coonman
02-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I am with Bruce, I can't figure out why they did not put at least 8 hp on it. Paying 500 more for 5 inches and the same hp. This mower would be perfect for our small lawns, but I would like to see a little more power for the money.

Turf Dancer
02-04-2005, 10:02 PM
From what I got out of both dealers and Exmark they have no intention of making this a mulching mower. It is a bagging mower and that is the intention of it.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Dish...you can change the view on PDF files, just set it to actual size or zoom in on it with the magnafine glass????

It says 3600rpm

Fareway Lawncare
02-04-2005, 10:15 PM
You Kids and Your 32" Belt Drives....There's A Reason People Pay Big Bucks for Light Easy to Maneuver Commercial Trim Mowers....They'll Smoke a 32" Belt on Small Props.

I Can Have that Paid for In 3 Days.

What Investment ?

dishboy
02-04-2005, 10:19 PM
From what I got out of both dealers and Exmark they have no intention of making this a mulching mower. It is a bagging mower and that is the intention of it.

If you read the text under decks [Thanks Jeff] it says tri-vantage with option to mulch.

Fred from Exmark did a seminar here yesterday, and he said he did not know of a mulch kit yet. Hopefully they will listen to all of you guys who want to mulch and get one together. Hint Hint. Please include a WAVY blade.

RedWingsDet
02-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Just wait until next year and it'll be $900 once more people buy it.

More people buy it = Less money for us.

beransfixitinc
02-04-2005, 10:55 PM
The engine is governed to 3600. The sell sheet lists it as "Self Propelled BBC w/bag and Mulching system".

Mowingman
02-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Very few people bag on a regular basis, so where is the market for this thing. I will go out on a limb, (based on experience with a Kawi powered Metro 21), and state that this mower will not have enough power to mulch nice thick Bermuda and St. Augustine grasses.
I think you will see it later with a bigger engine. They just rushed it into production with the engines they already have on hand. This size mower could be a real asset to me, but I will pass on this thing.

gogetter
02-04-2005, 11:12 PM
.There's A Reason People Pay Big Bucks for Light Easy to Maneuver Commercial Trim Mowers..

Yeah, so dummies like you don't get them stuck at the bottom of the steps Casey!
:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and I'll take that challenge too!

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Be nice if they had a 8.5hp model. As far as dropping that much in price I doubt it. Would make it the same price as a 21" and I think that size is pretty popular now :rolleyes:

Turf Dancer
02-05-2005, 01:37 AM
I know that it says mulch kit on the specs but according to the people I have talked to it was intended for mainly for bagging and not mulching. Infact according to one of the people I talked, to the Exmark rep didn't think it would mulch well in all areas. As for a larger engine, time will tell. They claim by the design they are using it is as good as using a larger engine.

Turf Dancer
02-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Why would they bring the price down to $900? That would put a 26 $300 under the 21 price! That would be stupid.

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Ahhh.... just as I expected, a 26" version of the 21" mower, 6hp motor and all.

Too much money, not that much bigger, and not enough power.

But hey, they must have designed a little chute thingy attachment cause it says you can side discharge. They must have borrowed that from Murray's 21" Toro clone.

TClawn
02-05-2005, 03:42 AM
I definatly will not be in the market for one of those. I might be if they put castors and a 8 hp motor on it though. I would still pick a 32" any day.

leaflawnandlimb
02-05-2005, 08:38 AM
did anyone notice that the blade speed was 18,000 fpm vs the 21 that is only aroun 11,000 fpm.

PR Fect
02-05-2005, 08:49 AM
did anyone notice that the blade speed was 18,000 fpm vs the 21 that is only around 11,000 RPM.
WOW, thats a big jump. Should be night and day difference!

Mowingman
02-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Doesn't matter what the blade speed is, if you don't have enough power to turn the blade in thick grass.

Triple L
02-05-2005, 09:00 AM
anybody got the flyer on the navigator, there's one on the exmark thread but I can't get it, it some security thing. That sure looks like a machine to buy.

Mark McC
02-05-2005, 09:44 AM
did anyone notice that the blade speed was 18,000 fpm vs the 21 that is only aroun 11,000 fpm.

According to eXmark's Web site, the blade tip speed for the metro is 18,500 fpm. Where did you come up with 11,000? If you're right about that, I'd like to know.

See this hyperlink to examine the data eXmark offers.

http://www.exmark.com/metro21specs.htm

Fareway Lawncare
02-05-2005, 10:36 AM
eXmark's a Lot Smarter that You Think...

They Kept it Simple...No Casters Means it's Shorter And can Cut Hills & Ditches...& Yes Blade Tip Speed is the Same as the Metro 21".

They Didn't Design Some Monstrosity like the High Wheel Encore 26" or An Overdesigned, Heavy, 3 Chamber Unit Like the BillyGoat 33".

It's Still a Nice Light Easy to Maneuver Trim Mower.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I don't always like what Fareway says but I'll agree with him on this one. I'll end up buying one this year and trying it, probably like it as well. I can't see Exmark bringing a new product to the market without thoroughly testing it first.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Considering the 26 weighs only 29lbs more then the 21, it's still a light weight in my mind. Easier to handle and push around, still acts like a finishing mower should.

A Snapper Hydro 32" weighs 375lbs (lighter then the gear) that's 223lbs heavier...we're talking about a lighter mower that cuts more then a 21 here guys.

The billy goat FM3300 measures in at almost 40" width and weighs 119lbs more...that's not a finishing mower lol.

I need a machine to get through the tight gates we have up here and still be more efficient in the backyards with something I can still maneuver easily. The 26" if I'm right should come in with a total width of about 27.5" total.

coonman
02-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Considering the 26 weighs only 29lbs more then the 21, it's still a light weight in my mind. Easier to handle and push around, still acts like a finishing mower should.

A Snapper Hydro 32" weighs 375lbs (lighter then the gear) that's 223lbs heavier...we're talking about a lighter mower that cuts more then a 21 here guys.

The billy goat FM3300 measures in at almost 40" width and weighs 119lbs more...that's not a finishing mower lol.

I need a machine to get through the tight gates we have up here and still be more efficient in the backyards with something I can still maneuver easily. The 26" if I'm right should come in with a total width of about 27.5" total.
Agreed, All things being considered it will be more productive than the 21 without sacrificing maneuverability. We will probably give one a try. I just hope they add a few hp to it sooner than later.

beransfixitinc
02-05-2005, 12:50 PM
You know, why don't you fellas stop hacking this mower to death before you even get to try one out? I'm sure the well paid engineers at eXmark went through more than a few different designs before they released it with the design it has. Perhaps running the blade off a belt instead of directly on the crankshaft is allowing for a higher percentage of the engine horsepower to be applied to the blade than on the 21.

dishboy
02-05-2005, 02:25 PM
You know, why don't you fellas stop hacking this mower to death before you even get to try one out? I'm sure the well paid engineers at eXmark went through more than a few different designs before they released it with the design it has. Perhaps running the blade off a belt instead of directly on the crankshaft is allowing for a higher percentage of the engine horsepower to be applied to the blade than on the 21.

I am afraid it would work the opposite, horspower is always greater at the crankshaft. Horspower is only one issue, what makes a strong engine is torque and horspower. If that engine has the goods in the torque department, the six horse might be enough.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 02:59 PM

I don't know about you, but I don't carry my mowers around on my back! LOL! (sorry couldn't refuse). But seriously, if they're self propelled, the weight is almost inconsequential.

Also, I just want to add, that I'll bet it's a great mower! After all, it does have the Exmark name on it. My only complaint is the price! And when I factor in price, width of cut, top speed, and how often I would be using it, I would have to choose something else.
I'll say that if all I did was TINY lawns and only ever used a 21" mower anyway, then maybe this would be a good mower for me. But for most people, a 21" mower is essentially a trim mower. And that seems like a lot of money to spend on a trim mower.
If they ever get down to $900 or less, as someone suggested, I might look at them a little harder. :)

beransfixitinc
02-05-2005, 03:45 PM
If they ever get down to $900 or less, as someone suggested, I might look at them a little harder. :)

And even then, if you don't like it, you can take it back to Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

z_clark
02-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on one!

This mower, like others will be great for those that have applications that fit it. We mow many lawns where one 21" is as fast as the 36" due to the lawns size and the trimming needed. I feel that moving from the 21" to a 26" would cut time on many of my properties. I also like the idea of being able to fit another mower on my trucks without needing much space.

Thank you Exmark for filling a niche! Can't wait to give one a try!

gogetter
02-05-2005, 04:22 PM
And even then, if you don't like it, you can take it back to Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

I'm not following ya???

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm not following ya???

I think he was being funny....

Here is a question, what is the retail on a Metro 21"? Up here they are about $1200 Canadian.

Shadetree Ltd
02-05-2005, 04:45 PM
This mower, like others will be great for those that have applications that fit it.

I could not have said it better myself. A 31hp 2000 pound Cat diesel Ferris would never work on any of my properties, that does not make it a worth less machine. I wish that we didn't have to bag 70% of the time but our climate makes it a neccesary evil. This machine would be a huge time saver for some of our properties provided the 6 hp is truly enough for thick wet grass. Time will tell and I will anxiuosly wait to hear the verdict, especially since equipment is in the field for many months in the US before it hits the Canadian market.

Scott

BobR
02-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Did anyone notice that the BBC is no longer in the cutting chamber?? Looks like they have raised the engine enough to allow the BBC to fit above the deck. Just that modification alone will make the mower more desirable (IMHO)..

BobR

Turf Medic
02-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Looks to me that this mower coupled with a program like justmowit's would be golden.

khutch
02-05-2005, 05:55 PM
BBC is above the deck.
Belt drive allows a faster blade tip speed - really doesn't have anything to do w/HP

Mark McC
02-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Did anyone notice that the BBC is no longer in the cutting chamber?? Looks like they have raised the engine enough to allow the BBC to fit above the deck. Just that modification alone will make the mower more desirable (IMHO)..

BobR

How so? Less maintenance?

gogetter
02-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Here is a question, what is the retail on a Metro 21"? Up here they are about $1200 Canadian.

I believe I've seen them new on ebay for $800.

beransfixitinc
02-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Suggested Retail List on a Metro 21", (Pricing effective 02/01/05) depending on your engine choice and options is $1064-$1409.

And as to my comment about taking it back to Wal-Mart or Home Depot....

For it to be that cheap, it would have to be more produced, and cheapened, like your murrays, MTDs, etc.. and you'd probably loose most of the previously dedicated dealer support on the machines. So, if you don't like it at that point, you can take it back to the big box or discount store.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Suggested Retail List on a Metro 21", (Pricing effective 02/01/05) depending on your engine choice and options is $1064-$1409.

So what we are saying here is $1399 on promo or $1499 retail puts it smack dab at the price of a 21? Hmmmmmmm

TMlawncare
02-05-2005, 08:55 PM
I can see that unit saving us about 35-40 minutes two days a week without taking up much more trailer space. I always wondered why they haven't made this size of a machine before now. I am truly considering it if it $1400 or less. Anything to free up a little extra time.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll have at least one on the trailer this year if not 1 on each truck...depending on business. I won't be able to give feedback till may 1st though :P

dwc
02-05-2005, 10:42 PM
It looks like they have probably used the belt/pulley system to help out that 6hp. Just like if you had a 19hp on a 52" with no belts/pulleys it would not work nearly as well.
That looks like it would be a real time saver for guys like me that have those back yards with small gates to be able to use something besides a 21". I have wondered for many years why no one has ever came up with this.
Now if John Deere will just come out with one since we do not have a X dealer here!

Fareway Lawncare
02-06-2005, 12:55 AM
No Offence But Lets Hope They Keep the Price High...

That will Keep the Riffraff from Owning the GoodStuff.

mkirby
02-06-2005, 03:14 AM

yes i did, it will do the job with this engine 18,000 is what the ztrs run at

BobR
02-06-2005, 10:29 AM
How so? Less maintenance?

No - the BBC on the 21" occupied its own space IN the cutting chamber which IMHO interfered with the aerodynamics and ability of the mower to eject clippings cleanly (additional turbulence in the chamber) this would be OK for the folks who mulch but for us who catch or discharge the protrusion of that plastic guard creates an unwelcome obstruction.

BobR

dishboy
02-06-2005, 11:10 AM
No - the BBC on the 21" occupied its own space IN the cutting chamber which IMHO interfered with the aerodynamics and ability of the mower to eject clippings cleanly (additional turbulence in the chamber) this would be OK for the folks who mulch but for us who catch or discharge the protrusion of that plastic guard creates an unwelcome obstruction.
BobR

I doubt a obstuction as the BBC on the 21 could help mulching either. I have not done a comparison, but when I bought my 21 proline I was not willing to take a gamble. I like the idea of a clear path to the bag or to the center for mulching. You can always bolt in a obstruction if you think it would improve mulching, but you can't remove it if it is part of a BBC.

Mark McC
02-06-2005, 11:54 AM

BobR

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback.

Mark McC
02-06-2005, 11:57 AM
yes i did, it will do the job with this engine 18,000 is what the ztrs run at

I'm still trying to figure out why some think that blade tip speed for the Metro 21 is 11,000 f.p.m. According to eXmark's website, it's 18,500.

If there is substantive reason to disbelieve eXmark on this, I'd like to hear it. I'm about to buy one of these things and want to know what I'm getting into.

http://www.exmark.com/metro21specs.htm

Fareway Lawncare
02-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Mabe the Home Depot Model is 11,000fpm...Regardless the Kaw's come Set at Around 3350 RPM & I Put them Up to 3650 RPM So Tip Speed is Even Faster than 18,500fpm

What I don't Understand is Why They're Listing the Old 6hp Kaw...I Picked up a Couple @ the End of Last Season w/the 6.5hp..The 6hp's Came w/the Small Gas Tank....Same Engine Basically But Why Go Back to Listing it as a 6HP ?!?

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30033&stc=1

TMlawncare
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
We own 3 21" prolines w/suzuki 2 cycles all with BBC. The bbc does not create any obstuction for either bagging or mulching. Last year we had one account that is heavily fert/ irrig. and full of wet foxtail. Sprinklers go off at 8 a.m. account has to be done by 10a.m. Any of you that have worked in condition like these no its is about the worst. The wet foxtail blades do clog up the deck on the 21" when either bagging or mulching. The clippings always gather around the outside of the deck. Never around the bbc unit. The "kickers" on the prolines get clogged up first then all the area in the flow path. When I first bought the machine and flipped it over I though that bbc unit would be in the way and hinder performance. I was wrong.

dishboy
02-11-2005, 10:05 AM
So has anybody had a opportunity to Demo the 26 yet? Feedback we need feedback.

I am guessing, that between the new Honda HRC and the Exmark 26, the one who gets their machine to market first will capture the majority of the new machine sales for the year.

ironhead
02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I think the 6.5hp will be enough, by increasing the rpms of the motor you can bring it more into it's powerband. Then use the drive pulley ratio from the crank to the blade drive to make the torque favorable.

I think I read somewhere that Kawi was getting sued for misrepresentation of horsepower, maybe this is the reason for calling it a 6hp now. That maybe just rumor though.

Did anybody else notice that they're using the same spindles as the gear drive metro walk behinds?

lawnguyland
02-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey everybody, I just placed an order at a dealer, but he didn't even know about it yet and said he'd be talking to exmark rep soon. It was in his sales book though and hads been ordered. A honda dealer had the new mowers in the back, but I really hope that the 26 is a good machine so I put down a deposit. I'd love for it to be here by first week of march.
He did mention that it is possible that they are just testin the market to see who bites and may not even produce it, but he said that's just a chance and if no mower of course I get a refund.

What I'd like to know is.......does this mower actually exist? Or is it just in pictures? A little verification please....

dwc
02-11-2005, 02:33 PM
I talked to the Exmark dealer Tuesday and he said that there is definitely a 26" but it will not be released until the first of March. He did not know much else though.

beransfixitinc
02-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Our official pricing shows "Available April 2005". I would assume they figure you guys up north won't be starting your season until then.

lawnguyland
02-11-2005, 03:47 PM
thanks for the info guys
:waving:

leaflawnandlimb
02-11-2005, 05:46 PM
I beleive last year their brocure said that the 21 blade speed was 11,500, maybe I mis-spoke. Maybe that was when they ran the b&s at only 3000rpm?

beransfixitinc
02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
I beleive last year their brocure said that the 21 blade speed was 11,500, maybe I mis-spoke. Maybe that was when they ran the b&s at only 3000rpm?

B&S? Are you sure you are talking about the correct mower?

newbomb
02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I have a few concerns. It's a great concept but: How well made is it? Are the deck and wheels really commercial duty? I cant read the brochure when I open the file, what type of lubrication system does it have? With out an oil pump I wouldn't buy one. $1,300 is more than half way to a commercial 32" that we all ready know is strong and durable.
I would like to see one though. If it was good quality and durable I could see owning one. I have doubts about the power too.

-Paul

Kelly's Landscaping
02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
If you can open the file you can read it just zoom in.

beransfixitinc
02-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I have a few concerns....... $1,300 is more than half way to a commercial 32" that we all ready know is strong and durable.
I would like to see one though. If it was good quality and durable I could see owning one. I have doubts about the power too.
-Paul

I still fail to see the relation of price to mower that a few people keep making. You don't buy a semi truck to pull a jet ski around, because the use is not practical. If somebody has a number of yards where a 32" mower would tear up the ground, be a monster to manuver in the small spaces, or otherwise be impractical to use over a 26", then the fact that the 26" is halfway to a 32" has no bearing. If the 26" is what will effectively get the job done easier and faster, cost should not be a "con".

lawnguyland
02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
A new 21" commercial toro runs about $1000-$1100 so $1350 promo for a 26 that can also bag more grass will work for me (assuming it works for me!). And yes, sometimes bagging is necessary so don't even get started with the bagging. :nono:

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-12-2005, 01:06 AM
If I hadn't been so busy hanging doors *laundromat* I would of made it into my dealer by now. I'll try and head in on Monday as well.....I'll be ordering one to start.

Richard Martin
02-12-2005, 01:34 AM
I have doubts about the power too.

As long as Exmark put a small pulley on the engine and a larger pulley on the spindle then the power will be fine. If Exmark is using the same engine, spinning at the same RPM and both the 21 and 26 have the same BTS then this how they would have had to have done it.

leaflawnandlimb
02-12-2005, 08:15 AM
B&S? Are you sure you are talking about the correct mower?
When they were first released they had a 6 or 6.5 briggs.

beransfixitinc
02-12-2005, 10:20 AM
When they were first released they had a 6 or 6.5 briggs.

You mean the 21" eXmark started with a Briggs? What were the prices like at that time?

Fareway Lawncare
02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
The Proline/Metros came w/Briggs option as recently as 3 Years ago...They Started as a 6hp then went to 6.5hp....They Were Good Engines w/Great Torque but Very Heavy. You had to set the RPM @ 3500 to Get decent Tip Speed but they were Still Rated 1600fpm Factory. The Metro's Started w/the Briggs and Kaw...They Never Had the Mighty Suzuki.

Briggs Proline/Metro on the End...A Heavy Beast.

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27123&stc=1

leaflawnandlimb
02-12-2005, 10:50 AM
You mean the 21" eXmark started with a Briggs? What were the prices like at that time?
not much less than they are now.

Oldtimer
02-13-2005, 01:19 AM
The 26" is going to be a success. The wheels are CNC machined aluminum and the blade spindle assembly is a full sized Metro unit. The engine sits back and 2 or 3 inches higher than the 21" and has a very healthy belt to drive the blade. The engine is turned up to 3600 rpms and cuts very well. The grass the mower was cutting was lush St. Augustine and gave a very good cut plus it bagged quite well. I didn't operate the mower but watched it being used. It will come with a bag and a mulch plug. The side discharge chute will be optional. The transmission is the same as the 21" mower but has additional bearings outboard on the axles so there is no load on the transmission housing bearings. Both rear wheels adjust with one lever and are spring loaded to make the adjustment very easy. The front wheels adjust very easily also. The handles are smaller in diameter and thicker than the 21" mower and I believe they are made from the same stock as those on the Metro Midsize.

The MSRP will be $1349.00

Organix
02-13-2005, 06:58 AM
I asked my dealer to see if Toro was going to have the 26 too. He checked with his distributor who said they are but its being held up because of power and weight issues but did not know if Exmark was also being held up. But from what he said they can't just put an 8hp on there because of weight and cost.

I don't know if Exmark will release it's model as scheduled in April, but I won't be one of the first one's to buy one. I think if Toro is holding back there is a reason for it.

PMLAWN
02-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Was at a proday last Wed. and a Toro rep. was there. Asked him about the 26 and he said he knew nothing about Toro having one. Can take that many ways but for sure it means that the 26" is not tops on Toro's list.

empirepd
02-13-2005, 09:01 AM
How does Troy-Bilt's 33" walk-behind compare to Exmark in quality and reliability? I have never used Exmark, are they a good company?

beransfixitinc
02-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Both rear wheels adjust with one lever and are spring loaded to make the adjustment very easy. The front wheels adjust very easily also.

NO, DON'T TELL ME THAT! You can't adjust all 4 wheels to individual heights?
Man, if that's how it is, it sucks that they did that. Just killed my first prospective customer for it. They use 21"s currently because they can adjust one side of the mower higher than the other to be able to run one side on a sidewalk and the other side on the grass to be able to cut an even level without scalping the edge.

If Exmark took away the individual adjustments, I'm not even going to bother trying to order any in.. because it's highly likely I won't be able to move even one with the wheel heights controlled like that. :realmad:

Oldtimer
02-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Sounds kind of like the cows that are raised on hills and walk the same direction around the hills until their legs are shorter on one side. The cowboys drive them off the hills and when they are on the flat prairie they can't run. They are called side hill winders and are a great attraction at livestock shows.

dishboy
02-13-2005, 01:28 PM
NO, DON'T TELL ME THAT! You can't adjust all 4 wheels to individual heights?
Man, if that's how it is, it sucks that they did that. Just killed my first prospective customer for it. They use 21"s currently because they can adjust one side of the mower higher than the other to be able to run one side on a sidewalk and the other side on the grass to be able to cut an even level without scalping the edge.

If Exmark took away the individual adjustments, I'm not even going to bother trying to order any in.. because it's highly likely I won't be able to move even one with the wheel heights controlled like that. :realmad:

One does not need to adjust wheels at different heights to not scalp, one only needs to learn where to place mower to get the same result.

Oldtimer
02-13-2005, 01:32 PM
One needs to know how to set a grade and lay sod.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I'd much rather adjust both wheels together....I don't know I'm lazy I guess. As far as doing sidewalks, around here it's not an issue. If I use a sticker edger it works out very nicely just running the mower across it.

beransfixitinc
02-13-2005, 01:39 PM
One needs to know how to set a grade and lay sod.

The properties they cut is a "retirement" community out near Georgetown,TX. It's a DellWebb (sp?) Suncity community and all of the houses a like cookie cutter houses. Everything has to be the same at these places. Certain grade, and all. Man... why do they make something different, but take away something that had so much more function?

PMLAWN
02-13-2005, 02:03 PM
How does Troy-Bilt's 33" walk-behind compare to Exmark in quality and reliability? I have never used Exmark, are they a good company?

There is really no comparison. The Exmark is a commercial unit(and a very good one IMO) and the Troy-Built is more for homeowner use. Also if you get into the 32" /33" size than the Exmark is a lot different from the Troy.

Fareway Lawncare
05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
The eXmark Metro 26" Should have its Own Forum.

dishboy
05-25-2005, 09:31 PM
The eXmark Metro 26" Should have its Own Forum.

Why? It's too heavy, underpowered and won't mulch. It's also overpriced :)