PDA

View Full Version : Wanting it done now!

mownredneck
02-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I was just wondering how/or if yall ever get people who call and say- I need an estimate, when can u come? me- I will be in that area tommorrow them-can u not come now? I need it done today! I would love to have another customer but I mean, most of the time I have just gottin through working and am at home! Plus with gas so high I dont need to waste gas, I live out in the country. I was wonderin how yall would/or do handle things like this?

Kelly's Landscaping
02-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Honestly if they are that pushy let it go it only gets worse once you agree to work for them. Think of it as a major RED FLAG.

ChadA
02-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Honestly if they are that pushy let it go it only gets worse once you agree to work for them. Think of it as a major RED FLAG.

I agree. In past ecperiences most of the time its for a one time cut. No further service needed. Let someone else take that.

the scaper
02-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Just tell them when you can be there. If they cant wait then they didnt really need you that bad, which means you dont really need them either. If you rush over there thats a PITA waiting to happen.

mownredneck
02-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Thats what I mainly do. But i have had about 10 people call like that I got frustrated!

KINGjosh
02-05-2005, 12:16 AM
I say sure i will be right over after i am done with the days route. I know your in the country and that sucks but like someone said before, "hungry people get fed first".

the scaper
02-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Thats what I mainly do. But i have had about 10 people call like that I got frustrated! When they call just say hey , I really appreciate your call , I'm looking at my schedule right now and I can definitely be there .. uummm .... Tomorrow!

mownredneck
02-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I know when they call and say i need it cut today that they are a pita. I dont like like messin with them and dont try to but, I was just sittin here thinkin surely everybody around here aint a pita. It just seems like I got alot of them this year.

tiedeman
02-05-2005, 12:39 AM
The one major question that I always ask is, "Do you need to be there for the estimate or can I drop it off in your door or call you later with the prices?"

Then after that I ask them what dates are good for them (if they need to be there) and then I choose from those dates and times.

Now if they want me to come over right away you have to stick to your guns and tell them that sorry you are really busy right now and the day is tight, but you can come over first thing in the morning or something like that

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 12:40 AM
I had a lady call the other day for snowplowing and I informed her we were no longer taking new accounts for the season. She said, "oh ok, when is a good time to call and set up an account." I said early fall and she was happy and said "you'll here from me in the fall". Now if she calls, who knows but definately wasn't pushy lol.

Mo Green
02-05-2005, 09:48 AM

I agree. First impressions can sometimes predict future behavior.

lawnprosteveo
02-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I totally agree with this. How many painters or other contractors can just drop what they are doing and come right out? :cool:

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-05-2005, 12:22 PM
I totally agree with this. How many painters or other contractors can just drop what they are doing and come right out? :cool:

Good point but we're not painters. Most don't even consider us contractors. We're just lowly lawn boys.
I just tell them, "Sorry. I'm busy right now. I can try to work you into my schedule tomorrow. Thanks for your consideration."

traman
02-05-2005, 12:43 PM
always seems to happen around a holiday ,4 of july, lador day ect, oh sir can you come over and cut my lawn NOW!!! well would you like to start a lawn service?, no i just need a one time cut before company gets here !!!! well how long ago was it cut last ? 6 weeks !!! most of the time its the same old story just not worth it geee where is the neighborhood kid now that will mow it for 5 bucks

Woody82986
02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I normally don't meet with anyone the day they call. I'm normally too busy. If I do meet on the day they call it is normally after 6 or so when I have had a chance to go home and clean up. If it is for a one time mowing I will stop by at the end of the day, meet and if I can get them to agree to my outrageously high "its 7 o'clock on a Thursday evening, your grass is a foot tall, and Ill never see you again" price then I probably will go ahead and mow. Catch me on a bad day though and I just tell them I don't do one timers. I hate people who call saying they need their lawn mowed in an hour and a half b/c they have something important at their house. I don't know why they think I just sit around in my truck with the motor running waiting for them to call needing it done now.

Woody82986
02-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Traman, I hear ya. I always tell people who call on Holidays that my Holiday rates aren't my regular rates. I tell them right off the bat that the bill won't be $25 no matter what. If it is a holiday that I don't mind working for a while on, I don't mind going out and making a load of money off of people who need quick lawn care. I normally charge 2.5 to 3 times what the normal cut would cost on holidays.

sildoc
02-05-2005, 01:06 PM
If they need estimate right away I tell them I will be there and I have an estimate fee of 20.00, How ever If you choose my service I will credit you with the 20.00 on your first bill. It weeds them out fast if they are really price shopping. If I can come on my own time I don't charge a fee.

Woody82986
02-05-2005, 01:19 PM
I never thought about doing an estimate fee for people wanting the estimate right now when I don't have the time. That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Shawns Lawns
02-05-2005, 01:42 PM
If they need estimate right away I tell them I will be there and I have an estimate fee of 20.00, How ever If you choose my service I will credit you with the 20.00 on your first bill. It weeds them out fast if they are really price shopping. If I can come on my own time I don't charge a fee.

Good idea i think i will try that this year. :waving:

mownredneck
02-05-2005, 01:55 PM
All they are, are procrastinaters. Next time someone says I need my yard cut today Im goin to ask them how long have u known that your yard needs to be cut? How long have you known that u were goin to have company tommarrow? Hey! I know what to do know! if i see some one in the paper who cuts all yards for $25 this year im goin to keep his number and sub him out and then charge the customer $10 extra and keep the ten. Then if they want it done again I can get them into a schedule. Just thought of that! payup

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I like to keep my Friday's soft for myself, the other truck may still be out there but I take it easy. I have a Platinum Turf service this year for my Estate and large home clients. I have a 12 hour short notice service and since most want it for the weekend then Friday it is. Mind you they pay out a big premium to get it done though. Saturday and Sunday calls even higher. I work 7 days a week anywase with my Laundromat side of the business so an extra lawn here or there doesn't hurt if u charge right.

I like the imediate estimate fee however.

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 04:45 PM
EUREKA! :cool2:
this is a great idea, I like it and I think I will implement it this year. from what everyone on here is saying I think this will become a custom for a lot of LCOs. :D payup :D

jedMeister
02-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I dont care what the others have said about not taking that project.....Get there and bid it as soon as possible. PITA customer or not, it is up to you and your business to accept any customer regarding a bid. Dont judge a book by its cover. If they are bad people when you show up to do the bid, then walk away. Who the heck knows what kind of customer they are untill you speak with them face to face. Who knows, maybe her husband passed away two weeks ago and she is paralyzed???? Do it.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I dont care what the others have said about not taking that project.....Get there and bid it as soon as possible. PITA customer or not, it is up to you and your business to accept any customer regarding a bid. Dont judge a book by its cover. If they are bad people when you show up to do the bid, then walk away. Who the heck knows what kind of customer they are untill you speak with them face to face. Who knows, maybe her husband passed away two weeks ago and she is paralyzed???? Do it.

Work 60 hours a week then do another 20 hours of estimates and paper work and you will understand our most valuable commodity is our time. You could be right they may be a good customer but I have to play the averages I do not have time to do work for all the people that call me so I use tests and signs to lower my mistakes and time lost to dead end customers. Yes there are times some one good falls though the cracks but more often then not I saved myself a headache. Last year was only my second year on my own I had a 8-9 week back log on scheduled work for more then 3 months I know it will be even worse this season. What that means is I will not be getting to all my estimates or scheduled jobs itís a fact of life.

it is up to you and your business to accept any customer regarding a bid. No this is not my job my job is to run my business in the most profitable manor that I can if it means avoiding future problem customers then that is what I have to do. Its more important that I make payroll then it is to go out of my way to put myself in a thankless job that ends up costing me more then its makes. If you can avoid the money loser jobs your profits % can sore some here make 5-10% others see 30-50%, which would you, rather make.

derek1
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
always seems to happen around a holiday ,4 of july, lador day ect, oh sir can you come over and cut my lawn NOW!!! well would you like to start a lawn service?, no i just need a one time cut before company gets here !!!! well how long ago was it cut last ? 6 weeks !!! most of the time its the same old story just not worth it geee where is the neighborhood kid now that will mow it for 5 bucks

You guys may not agree with me in this aspect but if they are pushing you that much to do there lawn and you are there last resort double your price Hey time is money Lack of planning on there part does not constitute and emergency on my part. If you need me right now today pay me!!

tinman
02-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Work 60 hours a week then do another 20 hours of estimates and paper work and you will understand our most valuable commodity is our time. You could be right they may be a good customer but I have to play the averages I do not have time to do work for all the people that call me so I use tests and signs to lower my mistakes and time lost to dead end customers. Yes there are times some one good falls though the cracks but more often then not I saved myself a headache. Last year was only my second year on my own I had a 8-9 week back log on scheduled work for more then 3 months I know it will be even worse this season. What that means is I will not be getting to all my estimates or scheduled jobs itís a fact of life.

it is up to you and your business to accept any customer regarding a bid. No this is not my job my job is to run my business in the most profitable manor that I can if it means avoiding future problem customers then that is what I have to do. Its more important that I make payroll then it is to go out of my way to put myself in a thankless job that ends up costing me more then its makes. If you can avoid the money loser jobs your profits % can sore some here make 5-10% others see 30-50%, which would you, rather make.

Well said. 99% of clients who start out with ridiculous requests, are PITAS and I'll take my chances on missing out on the 1% who will be good customers. Sometimes its hard to sniff out the PITAS if they hint that they MAY want full time service. Either they do or do not. I gave a lady an estimate for full time service once & it was too high for her I guess so she asks me to do it once to see if she would really like to get the service full time. I declined & never regretted it.

the scaper
02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Kelly is right. Half of the art of estimating is is spotting that loser BEFORE you waste time on them. You have to weigh your potential loss against you potential gain and make a decision on what you're willing to put into it, if anything. After you've done enough estimates you start getting a gut feeling about the bad guys. If you have a bad feeling about it, sure , you could be wrong, but are you willing to waste an hour and some gas?