PDA

View Full Version : A walk behind Stander.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 02:27 AM
OK, it's late and maybe I'm just getting loopy. But I just shot this e-mail off to Wright about their Stander mower. I was sitting here looking at an older brochure of theirs.
Tell me what you think of the idea. Think it's do-able? And if so, think it can really work the way I'm imagining it? I do. This is the e-mail to Wright:

"I just wanted to throw a thought out to you guys (Jim in particular) and see what you (he) thought.

It's a little out there, but hear me out.

I'm looking for a mower for next year. So many choices as you know, walk behinds, riders, standers, and your in-between mower the Sentar.

The biggest problem is one mower may be perfect for a certain type of lawn, but not so great for another.

I currently use WB's. But I'd like something I can ride on. The problem is, there are those lawns, or parts of lawns with slopes where a ZTR just won't do.
If it's the whole lawn, then I could use a wb on that particular lawn. But if it's just parts of the lawn, then I'd hate to have to walk the whole thing just for those sloped areas.
And I sure don't want to switch mowers on one lawn.

So I'm sitting here looking at your Stander thinking, boy, I like the idea of that mower! It would be so great for most of my lawns.
But what will I do when I get to that sloped part? If only there were a way to step off and walk behind it on that part, then jump back on when I get to flat land.
Hmmm. If only!

So, here goes. What if your Stander had a way that the controls could rotate backwards just a bit? Just enough so you could walk behind it for a short time, then push them forward and hop back on!
Something that could be done quickly, almost on the fly. Pull a handle, or flip a switch or something.

In the end, it wouldn't look much different, if at all. Keep it clean and simple. Not like that monstrosity the Rich Convertible mower! ;-)
That is obviously different because it's a "sit down" ZTR that converts to a WB.

I would think yours is do-able since it's a stander and not a sit down. You're controls are already almost there.
Just figure a way to rotate them back and forth cleanly and easily.

I see that as having the potential to be one of the most versatile mowers on the market. A Stander/WB. Truly the best of both worlds!
People could do away with the WB's that they are forced to keep on their trailers just for those few areas a ZTR is a problem.

I really look forward to hear what you think of all this. Thanks for your time."

So, what do you guys think? Is it too out there?

Envy Lawn Service
02-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Easily do-able, already thought of that one and sketched it out on paper. I'm just lousy at the mechanics of the control linkages.

All that would need to happen is for the whole control tower to rotate back on it's current arc to a position where it could be acessed from the ground. Pull a pin, step off and pull back, the controls arc out to you and the spring loaded pin snaps down into place in the next hole at your pre-set height adjustment.

I thought this could be done on the stander or sentar, I just didn't figure Bill would go for it because it would kill the Velkie Mower.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 03:48 AM
I just didn't figure Bill would go for it because it would kill the Velkie Mower.

LOL! I forgot they made a walk behind now LOL! That could be a problem! I hope not though.
But ya know what, so what if it does. It just means they will sell more Stand-OR-Walks (I went ahead and named it for them!LOL).

JoeinJasper
02-05-2005, 08:10 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. If only JD would mate this idea with their mulch on demand deck...

Fareway Lawncare
02-05-2005, 10:38 AM
They Won't Do it....They Had the Design but Chickened out at the Added Cost.

impactlandscaping
02-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Jonathan, have you ever demoed a Stander before? I have taken ours everywhere we took 36 + 48" WBs before. I have never needed to jump off the back and walk or "bail out". The way the current controls are set, you would need to be at least 6'2" or taller to comfortably and safely try any such thing with a Stander. I have since sold our wb's last summer, as they were not needed anymore once we switched to Wrights.

CharlieBingo
02-05-2005, 10:52 AM
First they need a floating deck. Seems Great Dane owns that patent.Shame, it's a great machine but that fixed deck is useless to me.

traman
02-05-2005, 01:04 PM
thats y they invented the pro slide if things start getting out of control near water or slops you just hop off, do your thing , and when its safe again hop on again

Del9175
02-05-2005, 01:34 PM
I agree with Impact. I can't see myself ever needing another walkbehind. My stander goes everywhere my walkbehind went.

jim dailey
02-05-2005, 01:52 PM
OK, it's late and maybe I'm just getting loopy. But I just shot this e-mail off to Wright about their Stander mower. I was sitting here looking at an older brochure of theirs.
Tell me what you think of the idea. Think it's do-able? And if so, think it can really work the way I'm imagining it? I do. This is the e-mail to Wright:

"I just wanted to throw a thought out to you guys (Jim in particular) and see what you (he) thought.

It's a little out there, but hear me out.

I'm looking for a mower for next year. So many choices as you know, walk behinds, riders, standers, and your in-between mower the Sentar.

The biggest problem is one mower may be perfect for a certain type of lawn, but not so great for another.

I currently use WB's. But I'd like something I can ride on. The problem is, there are those lawns, or parts of lawns with slopes where a ZTR just won't do.
If it's the whole lawn, then I could use a wb on that particular lawn. But if it's just parts of the lawn, then I'd hate to have to walk the whole thing just for those sloped areas.
And I sure don't want to switch mowers on one lawn.

So I'm sitting here looking at your Stander thinking, boy, I like the idea of that mower! It would be so great for most of my lawns.
But what will I do when I get to that sloped part? If only there were a way to step off and walk behind it on that part, then jump back on when I get to flat land.
Hmmm. If only!

So, here goes. What if your Stander had a way that the controls could rotate backwards just a bit? Just enough so you could walk behind it for a short time, then push them forward and hop back on!
Something that could be done quickly, almost on the fly. Pull a handle, or flip a switch or something.

In the end, it wouldn't look much different, if at all. Keep it clean and simple. Not like that monstrosity the Rich Convertible mower! ;-)
That is obviously different because it's a "sit down" ZTR that converts to a WB.

I would think yours is do-able since it's a stander and not a sit down. You're controls are already almost there.
Just figure a way to rotate them back and forth cleanly and easily.

I see that as having the potential to be one of the most versatile mowers on the market. A Stander/WB. Truly the best of both worlds!
People could do away with the WB's that they are forced to keep on their trailers just for those few areas a ZTR is a problem.

I really look forward to hear what you think of all this. Thanks for your time."

So, what do you guys think? Is it too out there?

I already invented what you are talking about..........kind of by mistake. First, when I put the new Kohler on my GD Stander, I mistakenly disconnected the "kill" that is then to shut the mower down if you get or fall off of the step. It doesn't work anymore. Before everyone starts screaming at me...hear me out. I have a half-dozen lawns with certain areas that apply to the situation you are describing. I had all intentions of going back to the wiring on this machine and straightening it out, but before I had the chance to, I ran into these 6 or so "difficult areas". I am 6' 3" tall with LONG arms and legs. I hopped-off of the machine and ended-up doing exactly what you are describing. I can see, exactly, how if you could swing the control area down and to the rear, how the average sized person would be able to accomplish the "walking behind" manuever. Let us know what you hear back on your e-mail.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 02:03 PM
No I haven't demoed one. And I also don't buy that they will go anywhere that a WB will. I'll buy that they will go "most" places a WB will, but not "any" place.

I have some lawns that have short, but steep slopes. My WB's barely handle them without sliding. If I was on a ZTR, or Stander type mower it would certainly slide, tearing the turf (especially if it was at all damp from dew or a previous rain).

Not sure I understand the comment about having to be tall for this to work. When they rotate back, they will be lower to compensate for stepping down off the mower.

traman, you do understand that a pro-slide is for a walk behind mower, right? WB's with sulkies are a whole different animal. We're talking about a Stander type mower. Compact!

As Envy said, I think it would be fairly easy for the engineers at Wright (or GD/JD) to come up with something like this. And if it could be sold for only a few hundred more, then it would be a nice option for those that feel they need or want it. And those that don't can stick with a regular Stander. Simple as that.

gogetter
02-05-2005, 02:38 PM
I have a half-dozen lawns with certain areas that apply to the situation you are describing. I ran into these 6 or so "difficult areas". I am 6' 3" tall with LONG arms and legs. I hopped-off of the machine and ended-up doing exactly what you are describing.

This is part of why I got thinking about it. I had read of others "occasionally" stepping off or even just hanging one foot off the back on certain areas of a lawn with their stander type mowers.
Not everybody needs to do this, and those that do aren't doing it ALL the time. BUT, it would be nice to have the option to do it if need be, and if it was only going to add a couple or few hundred bucks to the price of the mower, I'd say it's something worth the manufacturers looking into.

We're talking about a mower evolving, and getting better and more user friendly. Isn't that why the traditional WB w/sulky evolved into the Stander type mower?
Isn't that why traditional pistol grips evolved into various levers and loops and ECS controls?
Too often people want to squash an idea because it's "not for them". Well plenty of guys prefer their old pistol grips over the newer ECS controls on their Exmarks. But I'll bet there are a LOT of people that are happy that ECS controls came along!

Itsgottobegreen
02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
?

The very first prototype of the stander did that. But there was a patent infringement. So they redesigned it.

gogetter
02-08-2005, 03:33 PM
The very first prototype of the stander did that. But there was a patent infringement. So they redesigned it.

Yeah, I just got that info in an e-mail from Jim. He didn't mention the patent infringement, he just said they didn't think there was enough interest in it.
So looks like he's giving it a big thumbs down, unless in the future they find there is enough interest for it he said (so if anyone wants to see this idea come to fruition, send an e-mail to Jim at Wright Mfg,!).

He did say they have a lot of new stuff that they're working on, so It will be interesting to see what's coming.

Fareway Lawncare
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Here's What Jim V. From Wright Said About the Walkbehind Option Last Year when I Said I wouldn't Buy Stander's Until they had the Walkbehind Option

"The patent issue was minor and easily avoidable. The main reason we didn't do the foldback thing was that the cost of doing it outweighed the benefits you get. You rarely (if ever) need to walk unless you just need the exercise. If you're in the business for the exercise, get a walkbehind but if you're in business to make money, don't walk.

Jim V"

He's Wrong of course....You Need the WB Option Not only on Slopes but to Avoid Rutting Soft Turf & On Very Small Lots Where there's Lots of Turning.

gogetter
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Heeeey! Look at that, Fareway finally posted something I can agree with!! See, you're not such a bad guy. LOL!
Just messing with ya!

You actually brought up a good point too, about the soft ground after a lot of rain. If I can get my fat 210 lb butt off the mower, I may do less rutting.

Again, If anyone IS interested in seeing something like this on the market, e-mail, write, or call Jim at Wright Mfg.
They're under the impression there isn't a big enough need for this, let's show them they're wrong.

If their prototype had this, there was a reason. They apparently thought it was a good idea then!

Legacy
02-20-2005, 02:29 PM
First they need a floating deck. Seems Great Dane owns that patent.Shame, it's a great machine but that fixed deck is useless to me.

The floating deck on the Great Dane Super Surfer makes all the difference in the world....now they have an all new deck design for 2005 as well

TMlawncare
02-20-2005, 05:14 PM
I have been wondering about this also for a while now. A stander/wb would be great for most of our accounts. The desigh would be so easy. All you really need is a platform on a walkbehind to stand on, move the gas tank to the side and make the control move forward like a traditional stander. The linkage might be a little tricky however. Just imagine an exmark turf tracer wb/stander. Now that would be the ticket.

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Just imagine an exmark turf tracer wb/stander. Now that would be the ticket.
Yup! 27hp 60" with a flip down seat like the Sentar.

Oh wait, how do you say that in spanish... J/K eXmark... :jester:

dmc456
02-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Check out the Convertible Mower.

www.convertiblemower.com

Top speed of 12MPH with the new pump motor setup. I have one that is 5 years old and no problems. My only complaint is it only goes 7.5 MPH but the 2004 and later models top out at 12MPH. You can also get a 48" with a 25HP Kohler. Lots of power to go through th thick stuff at high speed. I'm picking up a new 48" w/ a 25HP Kohler in about 2 weeks.

I'm also considering adding a sulky for large hilly properties so I don't have to ever walk.

I pursonally think this is the most versitile 48" / 52" mower on the market. Their 61" does need a little work. They just took the small chassis and slapped a 61" deck on it.

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2005, 08:36 PM
dmc456,

They should add a foot wedge to the operator platform also.
Being able to 'wedge in' the seat makes the ride much more comfortable.

dmc456
02-21-2005, 09:24 AM
absolutely agree, it is a little tough going down hills or making very quick stop turns when conditions allow.