PDA

View Full Version : Florida LCO's compared to every body else!

KINGjosh
02-05-2005, 03:07 AM
I read alot on this site about the prices up north and stop to ponder. ( If I could Charge that much I would be a millionaire) Prices on mowing down here consist of $20 mow and go. For the majority of us. I don't know if the snow has something to do with the price increase for yall, or whether its the off time you guys have in the winter.

But what would happen if a Floridian would to come into a town where it did not snow as much. And offer, slightly higher prices than previously before.

What i guess I trying to say is that, If you could survive in Florida and do well, then you could prabably reach great success in other states where the cost of living is not as great as South Florida.

We would probably be consider a lowballer in many other states

Mr. C
02-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Some of the pricing i have hear from guys up north does sound pretty spectacular. I guess you have to go by what the market will bare. I have a couple of properties that i charge a higher price for because it is in an exclusive area and the customer expects this.

aries
02-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Here in jersey the cost of living is very high but at the same time you have to keep your prices competitive or you go broke! the amount of LCO's is high also but their is plenty of work!

lawnman_scott
02-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Theres not many places where the cost of living will be that much lower, exept a few small southern towns (not big cities either). And dont just beleive what you read, there is a guy on here who has a $10/hour difference in his hourly rate depending on his mood that day, and some that post their hourly rate for extra things on their website, then tell how they make the big money on extras. It doesnt add up, work the #'s. You also have to realize they for the most part are the ones with the short seasons and higher costs of living.
I started a thread once a couple years ago about an account, mow, edge, trim and blow, thats it. Every week in summer, every other in winter. Said I charged $140 a month (works out to around the magic $60/hour), and asked if that was about right. Everyone, regaurdless of area said they couldnt get that. I let them say it, then explained it. I think they chose to pick on my spelling (a sure sign that I got them).
You just have to get out a calculater when people start talking money, and more times than not you can prove them wrong.

PMLAWN
02-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Just random thoughts, Does the age of the customer drive down prices? I have a few "fixed income"-"my grandson would do it for $5 but he is too busy" people that are not willing to pay a lot. I would think that it would be worse down there.
Also I would think that you have more of a problem with cheap labor than we do. (but that is changing)
From reading posts and threads on this site and working the business I think that we will be catching up (or down )with you as the pressure on the business seems to be downward.
The trend in manufacturing is to outsource or move the plant to another country where workers are cheap. The trend in service business is to bring the cheap labor to the job.
Is the future cloudly for the U.S.???

RedWingsDet
02-05-2005, 08:29 AM
What i guess I trying to say is that, If you could survive in Florida and do well, then you could prabably reach great success in other states where the cost of living is not as great as South Florida.

Not to be disrespectful, but.... From what I've seen and heard, Flordia has a very low cost of living. Well alot lower from Michigan and other northern states. Hence, maybe thats why the older people who live on fixed incomes flock to florida.

But for example, my grandpa bought a house in Flordia for $60k, without a basement, that SAME house with a basement would EASILY cost $150+ here.

But again, they have websites showing states, citys, and countys for the cost of living, check it out ;)

Again, im not trying to be disrespectful, just helping you out :)

Oh and the reason we can charge more is the same reason cars, plows, mowers, and everything else have different prices from state to state. Most of us charge more because again, cost of living is high.

The one thing that does piss me off are the elders on fixed incomes and expect us to do it for as stated above $5 as little johnny would. But theres only a few people like this. Most of my elderly people live in upwords of a million dollar homes right on the lake, and I dont think they are on fixed incomes ;) hehe. But then there is the people who are like 30 or so, they dont seem to mind as long as it looks good, and they dont even really care what you charge them and it looks good.

Its all about the area and how much you can charge.

Richard Martin
02-05-2005, 08:31 AM
But what would happen if a Floridian would to come into a town where it did not snow as much. And offer, slightly higher prices than previously before.

I would have to say that there aren't a whole lot of areas where the cost of living is lower then the Fort Lauderdale area and still have the population density that Fort Lauderdale has. Usually when you have a population like Fort Lauderdale the cost of housing and living in general is much higher particularly on the west and east coasts.

For example:

A starter home in a decent non-rural area anywhere from Washington DC to Boston is going to cost $300,000+. We're talking a 3 bedroom, 1/1.5 bath rancher. Just to qualify for this loan (based on 30%) you will need to make $5800 a month for 12 months or 69,600 a year. That would be as stated from line 12 of your 1040. Line 12 is the amount of money you made after deducting expenses. Just for the sake of arguement lets say that expenses run 20%. That would mean that you now have to gross $83,520 per year.

Now divide $83,520 by 28 cuts (my average) and you get $2982 that you would need to make per week. Divide that by $20 per cut and you will have to cut 149 lawns per week solo. Given the size of the lawns in my area you would never do it.

yamadooski
02-05-2005, 08:53 AM
NOt to rip on the Fort Lauderdale or WPB area but you guys I would venture to say are the cheapest LCO's in the state. But you have the highest population of millionairs and the highest cost of housing in the state.

I had a lady move to a sub Im in and I quoted her 115. a month. She tells me shes from WPB and for this same size yard she had down there she said she was paying 50.00 a month for full service. Thats basic plus hedges, palms, weeding.
I laughed and told her to move back. She eventually found someone for 70.00 a month. He's a local lowballer. The sad part he does nice work.

My price is for 115.00 month x 12 = 1380. divide that by 40 cuts = 34.50 per cut and we can do 4 yards per hour. Comes out to 138.00 per hour.

Dowm by F.Lauderdale you have a lot of Cubans working for almost free and they go to the Home Crapper and buy all their stuff.

I too have thought of moving back to Wi. for greener pastures.
It all depends on what area of the country you like to live in and deal with your current price issues.
Not all LCO's in Tampa get the price I get. I had to work at it.

muxx
02-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Also, not to be disrespectful, but I believe the cost is lower in Florida for 2 reasons. 1) It is more year round, and 2) you have way more foreign people willing to do the work alot cheaper, because the money they make is still alot better than it was in their home countries.

KINGjosh
02-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Yes the majority of the state is low cost, But I said South Florida. $300 homes and up here too. Property values here go up every month. I know customers who have done this, You could literally buy a house and then resale it right away and make a profit. Now you could go to central florida and probably buy 2 homes for that. Im really debating whether or not to move to central Florida or not. I dont want to leave this state. The weather is great.

DennisF
02-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm from Michigan where I cut grass part time for a lot of years. I moved to Florida after retiring and started a full time business. I can tell you from experience that lawn care prices here in Florida are ridiculously low compared to Michigan. And the cost of living is not that much lower than Michigan. Sure, housing is less expensive, but gasoline, food, clothing, utilities, insurance, etc are the same here as anywhere else. I really don't know how some of the larger LCO's with employees and multiple crews can stay in business. There is much more competition here than I seen in Michigan and the lawn care prices here are 30-40% lower. You have to be very efficient with your operation here or you will not last long. You also have to carry a lot of accounts to make a decent income.
I'm lucky in that income from my business is a supplement to my retirement pension. I really feel for the guys who have to support a family doing this.

Someone asked about older people and if they hold down prices. My answer is yes indeed they do! About 75% of my accounts are retired folks and they are very resistant to premium pricing for lawn care. They don't seem to be too resistant to higher pricing for things like mulch, gutter cleaning, yard clean-ups, and such, but when it comes to basic lawn mowing they draw the line. Trying to squeeze $25 out them for a 1/4 acre lawn is next to impossible. But they'll gladly pay $60-$75 for gutter cleaning that only takes an hour.
You can definitely make more money in a 28 week cutting season in Michigan than you can in 42 weeks here in Florida. But it's hard to beat this beautiful weather.

Norm Al
02-05-2005, 08:14 PM
based on the prices i have seen here in dallas and the prices my family sees and uses in michigan,,,,,i would say that the florida guys are just the ones telling the truth about their prices!

you know how them yankees can lie?

CharlieBingo
02-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Many lots in Florida are also smaller. In the northesat many lots are over an acre. We can't do as many as you guys, it therefore evens out.

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Not to be disrespectful, but.... From what I've seen and heard, Flordia has a very low cost of living. Well alot lower from Michigan and other northern states. Hence, maybe thats why the older people who live on fixed incomes flock to florida.

But for example, my grandpa bought a house in Flordia for $60k, without a basement, that SAME house with a basement would EASILY cost $150+ here.

But again, they have websites showing states, citys, and countys for the cost of living, check it out ;)

Oh and the reason we can charge more is the same reason cars, plows, mowers, and everything else have different prices from state to state. Most of us charge more because again, cost of living is high.

The one thing that does piss me off are the elders on fixed incomes and expect us to do it for as stated above $5 as little johnny would. But theres only a few people like this. Most of my elderly people live in upwords of a million dollar homes right on the lake, and I dont think they are on fixed incomes ;) hehe. But then there is the people who are like 30 or so, they dont seem to mind as long as it looks good, and they dont even really care what you charge them and it looks good.

excellent points premier,
also, florida has no income tax. all sales tax based. our fuel is more & i know my insurance is higher because of snow plowing (no claims either)

DennisF
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Many lots in Florida are also smaller. In the northesat many lots are over an acre. We can't do as many as you guys, it therefore evens out.

The best I can get for a 1/4 acre lawn is $22-$25. The most that I can get for 1 acre is $45. Do the math.

This business is based on time. You can't get as much money for your time here in Florida as you can in most other areas of the country. At least not in this business.

KINGjosh
02-05-2005, 08:31 PM
excellent points premier,
also, florida has no income tax. all sales tax based. our fuel is more & i know my insurance is higher because of snow plowing (no claims either)

Insurance rates are extremely high down here. Becuase of all the tourists, and the old poeple who like to crash into the local Wendy's every now and then.

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Insurance rates are extremely high down here. Becuase of all the tourists, and the old poeple who like to crash into the local Wendy's every now and then.
:blob3: ya I can relate with that, funny you say wendys, the wendys by me just had that happen last summer, new drive thru front counter service. :D :D :D
anyway, I was refering mainly to liability insurance around here don't take kindly to snow plowers. Then again you folks get to deal with major claims every year lately.
I don't honestly know why rates are where they are here but, with all the craftsman night riders near me mine are not that high anyway or i wouldn't have any work. :eek:

crosson lawn
02-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I live in central Florida and I try to charge 35 an hour.
I have a min. of 60/mo for flora tam and 50/mo for Baha'i. i would really like to have a bunch of min. because i can do 3 to 4 minimums in an hour and at 3 an hour at 20 a cut that is 60 an hour which makes more that my 2.5 acre job that takes me an hour flat and i get 200/mo for that one. Anyway anyone else think the small 10-15 min jobs are the best also??

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 10:09 PM
I have a min. of 60/mo for flora tam and 50/mo for Baha'i. i would really like to have a bunch of min. because i can do 3 to 4 minimums in an hour and at 3 an hour at 20 a cut that is 60 an hour which makes more that my 2.5 acre job that takes me an hour flat and i get 200/mo for that one. Anyway anyone else think the small 10-15 min jobs are the best also??

I'm leaning that way, this year i'm going to pound a few neighborhoods with smaller lawns, most all my jobs are 1 to 2 acres, too much time on one job & hard to bid very high. these are mostly farm lawns big and not perfectly manicured, mow,trim, blow & go. biggest problem is everybody owns a lawn tractor around here and they grab all the small ones cheap. small lawns work into the after hours better for them

LightningLawns
02-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey crosson, 50/month for bahai seems really cheap. what area are you in

KINGjosh
02-05-2005, 10:21 PM

This is what i specailize in.

atproperty
02-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Here in CT I do try to get $1 a minute for lawns for one guy. Add another guy making way less than that and your going twice as quick making more profit. Cutting is only 7 mths. On one end you can make enough in your season to take 4 mths off or so but thats working your ass off. Also doing more than lawns. People in my area do work hard but have alot of money. They can afford it. I have only been to orlando and kissimmee. From the lawns I have seen there it would take 2 guys 15 min. if that. At that rate the figures you mentioned are not so bad. Lawns are pretty big around my area and alot of them hilly. I think lawncare here is a different world. The grass is also thick. If I go 7 days out on some of my accounts its somewhat overgrown when I get there(lawns on steroids). Maybe it gives you an idea. I bet you work just as hard as I do and probably live an equal type of lifestyle. Does that make sense?

crosson lawn
02-06-2005, 08:08 AM
I live in Avon Park which is in Highlands County. Maybe you have heard of the Sebring Races. That is the adjoining town to Avon Park. I mow in Avon Park, and Sebring about a 30 mile radius. It is a very rual area. 1 hour south of Orlando on highway 27.
Right in the middle of the state 1hr to Tampa and 1hr to Vero Beach.
Bahia 30 cuts per year at 20 per = 600 \12 mo = 50 per month. not bad for 15 min of work

traman
02-06-2005, 08:42 AM
the only people that dont give you a hard time on prices are hands on busness people ,they know how hard it is to make a buck down here , suit and tie customers just dont relate you have 10k sitting in your trailer and how much your operating costs are, they see you for 15 min. and think hes only here for that short amount of time y does he want xxxx$$$$ sometimes you just want to knock knock knock them on the head and say hello mcfly anybody home mcfly !!! things are not that cheap down here anymore neighborhoods that were from $35,000 to $160,000 just 10 years ago are now going for $68,000 to $420,000 our wages to keep up also . heck its 2005 its the future already.

crosson lawn
02-06-2005, 08:59 AM
I sometimes ask complaining people if they have ever owned their own business or tried to run one. And the answer is allways NO. Then i ask them if they have health ins. and they say that they do and i tell them i can't even aford that with what i make. i usually don't hear anymore bitchin after that. But more times than that i have no patience and just tell them that is my price i am willing to do the work for take it or leave it.

traman
02-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I sometimes ask complaining people if they have ever owned their own business or tried to run one. And the answer is allways NO. Then i ask them if they have health ins. and they say that they do and i tell them i can't even aford that with what i make. i usually don't hear anymore bitchin after that. But more times than that i have no patience and just tell them that is my price i am willing to do the work for take it or leave it.
yep you can either take my price, and get 110% work from me ,or pay the guy who just wants beer money and then get hit by him later that night

atproperty
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
its true people do not realize that you have to pay for quality and reliability and that its important when you find a loyal LCO thats there when you need him.

lawnpro561
09-11-2007, 01:29 AM
I don't know about other south Florida LCO's but I live in tequesta. The cost of living in high. I don't put the key in the ingintion for less than $110 a month w/ an annual signed "CONTRACT". That's 36 total cuts per year. Services I render: mow, weed eat, edge and blow. Anything more is extra and requires a signature. Come on guys. CHARGE for your service. I am a educated young man that is clean cut and wants to PROFIT. If a customer haggles I lightly decline there offer. To much work not enough time to bargin. Just my 2 cents. LOL.....

delphied
09-11-2007, 06:47 AM
based on the prices i have seen here in dallas and the prices my family sees and uses in michigan,,,,,i would say that the florida guys are just the ones telling the truth about their prices!

you know how them yankees can lie?

I think you hit it on the head. We have so many lowballers, Im thinking its not worth the effort. If I wanted to buy something just to ride, woulda been a Harley, not a Zturn.

lawnpro561
09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Delphied. kudos. I couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact. I did by a harley to ride. 2006 FLHTI. And I don't pee blood after the day is over like I do riding a Zturn. On the other hand your life is in a little less danger on a mower. LOL.. I truely think we all make this industry what it is. If we as a whole make lawn care a respected profession we all can do less work for more income. Not to sound lazy. Just fair! In south Florida you will see LCO's with the name "all american" or "US lawn care" and not one person is american or speaks english. I believe in free enterprise and that anyone who works hard should paid well for it. Unless our industry demands that our sweat and blood is worth more we will continue to shead it for less. If you know anything about economics you know that the market value of our service is set by us. Not the home owner. The problem is new business owners have fear as we all did and are willing to sell there service short rather than sell themselves at a premium. Sorry I have been so long winded. I Just wanted to let you all know I know how hard it is in this business and I don't consider anyone competition. I have respect for anyone who desides to sweat to earn a dollar in this country.

topsites
09-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Why florida, why not any other state?
If I sell my services that cheap of course they will say yes, Florida is not the only state where 90% of folks want something for nothing. Once I lower my prices to meet their demands and ideas of how it should be am no longer selling my services.

If I try and meet the customer's idea of a fair price I might as well close my doors, there's no such thing as too cheap once I go down this road, there's folks out here who draw the line at $10 / hour, so why even charge more? No, selling is not about bending over backwards until the customer says yes, selling IS about quoting your prices and take it or leave it, yes or no, and thank you.

Always yes or no, and thank you.
It doesn't matter if they say no, that is their choice.
Then you say thank you, and walk away, you've done your job.

Because if you were getting paid regardless and it didn't matter if they said no, would you go lower or just quote whatever?
If it did not matter if 98 out of 100 said no, what would you quote?
Another way to say it is, what would you quote if they were not around, what is it you need to GET?
That's your price, what you need to get, then let the customers be and decide on their own.
You just blurt out that astronomical figure and watch, if they say no, thank them for their time, very kind, have a nice day.

brucec32
09-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Actually, te bulk of Florida's population lives along the coastal areas, where real estate prices are quite high relative to what you get. In the interior yes, it's miserable and land is cheap. But the traffic jams, good paying jobs, and population are mostly along the coasts with a few exceptions like Orlando(which is populated by large numbers of relatively lower wage entertainment industry workers). My 2400 ft 8 y/o home on a slab in S. Florida out in the swamps, 45 min from the beach, sold for $487,000. My new 3,000 ft one with a basement here in Atlanta, much closer in to things, was just $335,000. Both were on roughly 2 acre lots. Florida ain't cheap. Yet still, in that area, mowing rates were. And this was for a county with "Palm Beach" in its name.

Rates in Florida are much cheaper than here. Various reasons, but mostly it comes down to supply vs demand for the service. Go to any "white collar" city and the rates are higher. And past a point, high home prices may actually mean LESS demand for lawn care, since that portion of the disposable income is gobbled up with mortgage payments. In some areas of the nation, people live in expensive homes because they HAVE to , that's all there is. The income/home price ratio is probably more important than just the price of homes in an area.

GreenT
09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't know about other south Florida LCO's but I live in tequesta. The cost of living in high. I don't put the key in the ingintion for less than $110 a month w/ an annual signed "CONTRACT". That's 36 total cuts per year. Services I render: mow, weed eat, edge and blow. Anything more is extra and requires a signature. Come on guys. CHARGE for your service. I am a educated young man that is clean cut and wants to PROFIT. If a customer haggles I lightly decline there offer. To much work not enough time to bargin. Just my 2 cents. LOL.....

Lawnpro, it looks like you're new here. Welcome to the site.

FYI, when you do a search here all the posts have a date/time stamp on the top left corner.

I'm telling you this because you are responding to a thread that is 2 years old.

Now for the rest of you guys, you should know better.:nono:

South Florida Lawns
09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
I think alot of people up north have less than a 100 properties to maintain. In Florida its not uncommon to have over 200-300, and thats how we make our money in mass quantities.

lawnpro561
09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info on the time stamp. oops :rolleyes: Love the site. Learning a lot.

topsites
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Let me tell you a little story about one Lco in our town (no it ain't me lol).

This fellow charges exactly double what everyone else charges, that's right, $70 for a 1/4 acre grass cut and so on...
Sounds insane but his prices are consistent, everything he does is right at 2x what everyone else charges.

A customer asked this guy one time, say, won't you do my 1/4 acre for $35?
His answer: No, I am always the last guy everyone calls, by the time you call me you have already called everyone else and you can't find a single person to take care of you. Now I can help you, but my prices stand firm.

I used to think he was nuts and that he wouldn't last, probably sits around the house a lot (which, that's nothing new to me either).
And his profit from one job is like the profit from 8-10 of mine, the profit that is.
And he's been doing it for many years, and is still around.

So it just goes to prove you get in that corner, and so long you have your story straight there is no problem.
I couldn't do what he does, but he firmly believes in what he does, and the why of it.
So I always say, be yourself and do what you believe in.

Translation: Don't let THEM dictate your prices, if you pwn your business then YOU are in charge.

paponte
09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Not just the cost you can charge, but you summed it up in the first post exactly "blow and go". I can't speak for other companies, but we are in no way shape or form a blow and go service. We do alot of detail work, that I never see when I am in Florida. We also offer bagging clippings for alot of residential accounts as well, you will never see that in Florida.

privatelawn
09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Even with the low per cut rates I bet alot of florida lcos make as much or more per hour then in other states, everyone here is already used to the lower rates, in a way they get what they pay for, meaning pretty much, I mow your lawn and then im gone 15 minutes later. I have no problem doing detailed work if the customer pays for it but even if they did I do prefer the lower rate and on to the next house, I make more at the end of the day this way. A solo guy can cut 3 houses per hour at $25 all day long, thats $600 a day.

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Good thread. I'm doing pretty good with an average rate of 40 dollars per yard. Trust me, I have a few 30 & 35's out there! Only doing the LCO part time. I average about 40 yards a week with a few houses and driveways to pressure wash. Trying to see if this is what I want to do once I retire from the Navy. In my opinion, there is enough business here in J'ville for everybody! J'ville LCO's are the coolest. Everyone seems to waive and exchange cards when time allows. To break it down: lots of butchers, very few LCO's! October 19th will be one year for me. I'm loving it!!!
Jay

capelawncare.com
09-19-2007, 07:57 PM
You guys have some misconceptions about cost of living down here in the sunshine state. Between taxes and homeowners insurance I am paying almost 13K a yr. I dont think thats cheap.

As for the costs of my services, the average size lot in our city is 80 feet by 120 feet. I only do 12 month contracts for $100 plus per month. For basic blow, mow, edge and go service. Extras cost more.

Competition is very stiff down here, but there is tons of business. If I get a cheap skate, on to the next one.

If some of these trunk slammers want to work for free, let them. I'll pick up their accts after their home depot mower breaks and that wait a month to fix it.

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
The market here is 50-60 dollars per cut! But it is only for 25 weeks a season!

mattfromNY
09-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Up here in the great white north, we shovel all those old peoples' sidewalks all winter so the mailman can get to the mailbox, and the school kids can get to school, while the homeowners spend a few months 'down south'. Then, when the Q-tips come back up here, we get to listen to "Well, at my house down in Florida, I can get my lawn mowed for (Cheap, cheap, cheap)". All the while I'm thinking to myself "Yeah, Pedro is probably living it up in your house down in Florida, right now with his 13 cousins"

delphied
09-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Up here in the real white north, snow plowing is cheap and so is mowing. A 50 - 60 cut is for close to 2 acres. Small city lots are 30. This is by long established companies and not solos. Consequently the solos have to be at that price and offer better service to get business.