PDA

View Full Version : Where to get blade height gauge?

PR0 TURF
02-05-2005, 09:59 AM
I am looking for a blade height gauge. We bought one over the summer from Simplicity, but the overall design of it wasn't very easy to use. Does anyone know of a place to get them online or anywhere else? Im looking to check the height from the ground to the blade tip.
THANKS!

1grnlwn
02-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I just took some pieces of oak flooring and cut several pieces a 1/4" different in length starting at 2" up to 3 1/2". I did this so I could compair the cutting height to the scale on adjustment and between different mowers. I drilled a small hole in each block and strung them together with a cord. I carry them in the trailer box.

Mark

dishboy
02-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I am looking for a blade height gauge. We bought one over the summer from Simplicity, but the overall design of it wasn't very easy to use. Does anyone know of a place to get them online or anywhere else? Im looking to check the height from the ground to the blade tip.
THANKS!

John Deere sells a plastic one that is satisfactory for about eight dollars.

A snap gauge for measuring cylinder bore diameter would work also.

Richard Martin
02-05-2005, 12:37 PM
You can buy it here:

http://www.greenfunstore.com/browseproducts/AM130907-Leveling-Gauge-for-Mower-Deck-Blade-Height.HTML

PR0 TURF
02-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Richard Martin....thanks for the link to the gauge. That is exactly what I was looking for!

PR0 TURF
02-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Speaking of blade height/deck leveling....when you adjust the blade height do you strive for a perfectly even cut across the length & width of the deck. If i am not mistaken I think i remember hearing to try to get the rear of the deck either a 1/4" higher or lower than the front...or maybe an 1/8"..something minimal. Anyone have any experience with this to achieve the best cut.

Richard Martin
02-05-2005, 04:41 PM
The recommended pitch is normally around 1/8" to 1/4". Rear higher than the front.

all ferris
02-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I just park the mower on concrete, lower the deck and check the height with a tape measure. I don't think it could be much easier.

Turf Medic
02-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I just park the mower on concrete, lower the deck and check the height with a tape measure. I don't think it could be much easier.

Sounds workable but you miss the opportunity to add a cool new gadget to your tool box. :D Where's the fun in that.

all ferris
02-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Sounds workable but you miss the opportunity to add a cool new gadget to your tool box. :D Where's the fun in that.

I guess it is neat to have all sorts of "gizmos" :p

MJB
08-28-2006, 01:09 AM
So, accuracy of the height indicator is the real problem. On a Bad Boy you can check it with a tape measure periodically and then reposition the pointer to the correct number, all in about three minutes. One set screw to loosen and retighten and then you are done.

Mark

Can you show us some pics of the badboy mowing to see how it cuts???

Precision
08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
I cut a block of wood to the height I want the blade to be set to then adjust to the block of wood.

or for check ups. Ihave a 3 metered blocks of wood. one for each blade. No big deal. took 3 minutes to make and takes 10 seconds to place them all.

TLS
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
One of these....

6'7 330
08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
One of these....

We have a couple of the Deere deck level gauge's around to, as well as this one given to me by my dealer. It is of a wee bit heavier duty construction, and the pointer ,height measurement are on both sides of the gauge.

sperho
08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Better yet, where do you find a flat surface that varies less than 1/8" over the width and length of your mower's cut??? Check a flat surface with a straightedge if you are going to sweat setting a pitch to ~1/8" tolerances. Not all garage floors are created equal (truly level).

Tharrell
08-29-2006, 05:31 AM
Use a 4x6 index card.

Daner
08-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I Use small steel dowels...They are ground to 3.5"...where I set the side to side. Then I have 2 more...For front to back to get the right deck pitch.
Its almost like using a feeler Gage...Colour code them with tape or paint.
This way you can get the deck bang on.