PDA

View Full Version : THRIPS In The Greenhouse.......

Garden Panzer
02-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I just brought some cuttings in to my greenhouse and now it seems like I have THRIPS, all stages of life.....

What does everyone use? I'm growing vegatables so I'm looking for something labeled for human consumption, pre harvest interval low....

Any advice would really help! I've had the famous spider mites but thrips are new to me and I've been told they are real tough to be rid of...

:)

Turf Medic
02-05-2005, 12:20 PM
This is a website that you might want to check out, ton of information about the thrips. Appears that you do have your work cut out for you, good luck.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/gh-thrips.html

HayBay
02-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Keep the grow area cool, below 60 degrees at night. As cool as possible in the day. This slows their life cycle down.

Try the Sticky Traps, they suggest Hot Pink or Blue, Ive used the Yellow ones with success.

You mentioned cuttings, are they rooted? If so and the plants are not that big you can hand wash plants to remove thrips of all stages.

synthetic pyrethroids: Danitol®, Mavrik®, Pounce®, Talstar®, formetanate: Carzol®*

Good luck.

Garden Panzer
02-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I can't control the below 60 temp as the plants are under lights... the thrips are in rockwool.... I did 100/oz to 100 gallon h2o of GNATROL- but with no real improvement... where's NEAL WORBERT on this one???

:)

Ric
02-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Pansy

If you are too cheap to buy Insecticidal Soap and Ultra Fine oil, then use the following. Lemon Dish soap and liquid vegetable oil. Mix a 1 % solution of each in a sprayer of some kind, that is 1.25 oz of each per gallon. Be sure to spray the underside of all the leafs. Repeat the process every 3 to 4 days until control is achieved.

Spray in the evening and let it sit over night. Irrigate in the morning with over head sprinklers to reduce chance of burn.

BTW If you are 12 on and 12 off, the soap & oil may hurt the flavor of your crop. If you are selling and not using it yourself, then use Dursban if you can find any. It will increase the High.

HayBay
02-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Oh that kind of Vegetables....

Garden Panzer
02-05-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm gonna wait a few days then apply Conserve @ 80% max label rate....
plus I put up pink box traps

Ric
02-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Oh that kind of Vegetables....

Haybay

Pansy is famous for the Mushrooms he grows. However I believe in this case He is growing "BC :rolleyes:"Tomatoes"" They are a popular ""Tomato"" that are grown just North of Pansy over the Canadian Boarder. They are imported to this country where they sell for Big Bucks.

Now the truth is Soap and Oil will not effect the flavor of Pansy's ""Tomatoes"". I just said That to pimp him a little.:D