PDA

View Full Version : Corsaire is costing me customers!!!

DFW Area Landscaper
02-05-2005, 03:20 PM
This stuff is worthless. I've got a customer who had another LCO over seed her lawn last winter. This winter, we didn't over seed. Wild fescue all over the place.

So, just on account of this customer, I buy a bottle of Corsaire. We mixed it at the fescue rate, which makes it VERY expensive, and spot treated all poa annua and fescues in our customer's lawns.

Six weeks ago. Still no effect whatsoever.

So the customer with the fescue all over her lawn calls to cancel service today.

No more Corsaire for me ever again. If the stuff works, you sure can't tell it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

i_plant_art
02-05-2005, 04:16 PM
what type of grass were you spraying it in burmuda or zoysia? if either of those two why not just use roundup pro? it does the trick for us and wont harm the zoysia or burmuda *while* its dormant.

Luscious Lawns
02-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Revolver!! It's not cheap. But it's the silver bullet for cool season weeds.

Dallas Turf
02-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Go to Lesco and pick up some reward. It will burn off the fescue in a matter of days. If regrowth occurs respray in 2-3 weeks. Reward is a desiccant so it only burns off the top which means it won't cause any long term damage to the bermuda. After a couple of apps the fescue will go away. Better yet tank mix and spray with simiazene.

DFW Area Landscaper
02-06-2005, 12:53 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Revolver. I think I'll try Simizine next fall for pre-emergence and see if that works any better than Pre-M.

Never heard of reward. Does reward work in the winter?

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

Dallas Turf
02-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I have heard that corsair and revolver are both great products for removing cool season grasses from Bermuda. I think the problem that you are having with the corsair is because with cooler temperature's it is not being metabolized by the Fescue. I was told by my sales rep that corsair will take the cool season grasses out effectively but it would take at least a month and this was in April or May for poa. Go to www.greenbook.net and search for reward it is made by Syngenta. It has a quick response time even this time of year. It dehydrates the plant and fries it quickly. When you applied the corsair what rate did you use, how many gallons per 1msf were applied, and did you use any sticker.

DFW Area Landscaper
02-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Dallas Turf,

I applied Corsaire at the Fescue rate, which is like 5X stronger than the poa rate. It's hard to tell exactly how many gallons you're spraying per thousand when you're only spot treating. But we mixed .4 ounces per 3.5 gallon backpack. To fill five back packs, it costs about $75.

I was told by another LCO last week that the summer heat will kill poa before Corsaire will.

When customers still see green weeds in their lawn six weeks after you visit, they cancel. Can't really blame them, either.

I'm very interested in Revolver. I need a quick response rate. I'm just too scared to have an employee spraying glyphosphate on my customers lawns. I thought my bermuda was dormant four years ago, so I mixed up roundup and spot treated all weeds. That spring, my lawn looked like a friggin cheetah when the bermuda greened up.

How long does it take to see results with Revolver? Just a few days? Is it more or less expensive than Corsaire for the treatment of wild fescue?

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Luscious Lawns
02-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Revolver was used about 2 weeks ago on some goosegrass, poa and some fescue clumps we had in residential lawns. The initial results within 3 days were impressive but we had a cold snap and it seemed to stall the die off. I feel if the temp is below 40 deg. it severly impedes the action of any herbicide. Other than the cost I love Revolver. It will be a staple in my chemical locker.

sprayman73703
02-06-2005, 11:57 PM
I love corsair. I use it in my regular mix in the spring. I am using it to control broadleafs though. I agree it is the cooler weather that may be hurting you because i have seen corsair wipe out fescue before by accident in the spring. It is the best thing in the world on dandelions in bermuda. Long residual!!!
GO POKES!!!!!!!!!

DFW Area Landscaper
02-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Wow! I don't believe it. A pesticide applicator in Enid!!!

I was born in Enid. I went to school in Stillwater and between my Sophomore and Junior years I worked for Chemlawn. That would have been the summer of 1989 if my memory is right. The local manager's name was Danny Melrose. Very cool guy. I enjoyed working with him. He tought me almost everything I know about the lawn care business on the chemical side.

Back then, we were making some real jack for the owner. We'd almost never touch a back pack. We'd run two men, myself and Danny, from 7:00am til 3:00pm, and typically grossed $1,200 to $1,800 a day, five days a week. Thee was also a fireman (forgot his name) who would run the other truck on certain days. We did six apps a year. Only pushed a spreader on two of those apps too.

I guess you're having good luck with Corsaire. I can't figure out why you wouldn't just use 2-4D for broadleafs, though. It's almost free next to Corsaire.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

ThreeWide
02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Spot treat with Corsair??? That should only apply in the warm season.

If you need a blanket app, that is a different matter.

If the Bermuda is dormant, spot treat grassy weeds with glyphosate and/or diquat. Glyphosate is labeled for such use.

sprayman73703
02-08-2005, 01:06 AM
I use a small amount of 2-4,d I like the corsair for residiual control. It has a fairly long half life. Those pokes looked great tonight!!!!!!!!