PDA

View Full Version : What size Stander do I get?

Lawnkeeper
02-05-2005, 02:49 PM
My mind is made that if I get a new mower it will be a Stander. The question is do I get it.

Got back from the dealer today with quotes:
52" 25 kaw. for 6899
52" 23 kaw. for 6699
48" 19 kaw. for 6399

Not much difference in price

I currently have a 36 belt walkbehind and a 21 honda. I am part time with 20 accounts. I will not be adding any other accounts due to time constraints. My average property is 12 - 17,000 square feet. I also 3 acres for myself and family members who live on the same street. Some of my customers have fences, and all but 2 have double gates to allow big equipment into the backyard.
I currently have a velke, but it doesn't solve all the problems: striping and tight corners are tough because I have to get off then throw it into reverse then throw it into a gear then jump on. I know it may not sound that bad but I am looking to be as effecient as possible.

1. Should I keep the 36 WB and add a 52 Stander? isn't it a pain to have to switch mowers on the same property for different situations?

2. Dump the 36 WB and replace it with a 36 or 42 Stander? This way one mower does it all, only one mower to do maintenance on, etc.

3. How much time should I expect to save on a property with a Stander? I am looking for percentage of time, I realize that the size of the property dictates the exact time. If a 15k property currently takes 25 minutes to cut with a 36wb, then a 36 stander should take x amount of time.

4. I feel that with only 20 lawns and none on the horizon, I can be somewhat picky and choose lawns where a 52 stander will fit and be most effecient. What do you think?

5. How about those prices? For 200 dollars more would have to get the 25 kawa.?

6. Is is unreasonable to think that I can get a 52 stander in the same places I currently get my 36 belt wb?

I have heard the pros and cons, many posts go into great detail. I cut kentucky bluegrass and tall fescue, so no need to change cutting height except at end of season. My 36 WB is a fixed deck so I allready have to do it now. There are no hills to worry about.

truenorthlandscaping
02-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Drive to Indiana & buy my 52" for $3000. 17HP Kawasaki, 500 hours, good condition. Have a Sentar for sale as well. Whatever you do though, you'll love the Stander. We're going to 60" decks on 2 more of them. They'll increase your productivity BIG TIME.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Selling my 61" Stander due to poor air flow and clumping problems. Getting a 52" / 23hp.......or possibly the 25hp.

This will make my fleet a 52", a 36" belt drive and 21".

I would go with the 52".......I don't find it a BIG deal to change mowers on a lawn, but I am also actually to the point where I pick lawns where I don't have to. 2 long time customers require it.

LawnMowerBoy48
02-05-2005, 05:41 PM
go with the 25hp

J.Gordon
02-05-2005, 06:06 PM
go with the 25hp

I agree, get the 25 horse.

nitrotim
02-05-2005, 06:19 PM
My mind is made that if I get a new mower it will be a Stander. The question is do I get it.

Got back from the dealer today with quotes:
52" 25 kaw. for 6899
52" 23 kaw. for 6699
48" 19 kaw. for 6399

Not much difference in price

I currently have a 36 belt walkbehind and a 21 honda. I am part time with 20 accounts. I will not be adding any other accounts due to time constraints. My average property is 12 - 17,000 square feet. I also 3 acres for myself and family members who live on the same street. Some of my customers have fences, and all but 2 have double gates to allow big equipment into the backyard.
I currently have a velke, but it doesn't solve all the problems: striping and tight corners are tough because I have to get off then throw it into reverse then throw it into a gear then jump on. I know it may not sound that bad but I am looking to be as effecient as possible.

1. Should I keep the 36 WB and add a 52 Stander? isn't it a pain to have to switch mowers on the same property for different situations?

2. Dump the 36 WB and replace it with a 36 or 42 Stander? This way one mower does it all, only one mower to do maintenance on, etc.

3. How much time should I expect to save on a property with a Stander? I am looking for percentage of time, I realize that the size of the property dictates the exact time. If a 15k property currently takes 25 minutes to cut with a 36wb, then a 36 stander should take x amount of time.

4. I feel that with only 20 lawns and none on the horizon, I can be somewhat picky and choose lawns where a 52 stander will fit and be most effecient. What do you think?

5. How about those prices? For 200 dollars more would have to get the 25 kawa.?

6. Is is unreasonable to think that I can get a 52 stander in the same places I currently get my 36 belt wb?

I have heard the pros and cons, many posts go into great detail. I cut kentucky bluegrass and tall fescue, so no need to change cutting height except at end of season. My 36 WB is a fixed deck so I allready have to do it now. There are no hills to worry about.

Those prices sound high to me. Check the Channel Program on the wright website. As long as your dealer participates you deal direct witht the factory and its delivered right to your dealer. He still gets his cut because he is a wright dealer. I just bought sentar sport 52/19 for 5769 and I think on the program the 5219 stander was 5569. Check because I think those prices are good until 2/19/ They change continually thruout the year as the season's change.

redoak77
02-05-2005, 06:28 PM
i am with nitrotim, those prices seem high. I ould go with the 52in, but there really shouldnt be too much difference between 48 and 52. I mean u can prob take the 52 anywhere u can take the 48 right?

MacLawnCo
02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
wait on your purchase of a stander. wright is aware of their discharge issue and JimV told me they are redesigning their deck to fix this isssue. He didnt give a time horizon but it will be worth the wait. If you are dead set on getting the unit now then get the 25

Kevin Mackenzie
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Did you check out the new Great Dane Super Surfer Gen 2 realised just this season before going down the Wright path?

Lux Lawn
02-07-2005, 11:21 AM
For the extra $200 I would got with the 25hp without a doubt.A 23hp will probably be enough for just about anything you are going to cut on a weekly basis but if it is available in a 25hp thats what I would get.

Lawnkeeper
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Did you check out the new Great Dane Super Surfer Gen 2 realised just this season before going down the Wright path?

Danes don't have a dealer worth anything around me. I asked them about their SS last year and they said they can't get one. No parts in stock anyway.

jpmako
02-07-2005, 12:07 PM
check out John Deere.
They make some very nice standers as well.
Going to get one this year to compliment my Z-Track.

VnDrWLawnCare
02-08-2005, 01:03 AM
I have really considered a stander, but have always wondered how you adjust the height on say a 48". I currently have a 48" WB that requires me to pick the deck up and change the height with spacers for the casters. I absolutely hate it. Grease on hands and back begins to hurt after a while. Would love to have a stander, but think the height situation is the same.

I know what you are thinking.--Just cut everyone at the same height.-- Well i cant due that, some lawns are much thicker than others.

So can someone clarify on how you go about changing the height.
Thanks
Eric

Itsgottobegreen
02-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I just got your PM and answered it for you. 52" is the deck size you want. The hp is up to you.

VnDrWLawnCare
02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Can anyone answer my question regarding changing the height on a stander?? I have considered buying one but was wondering if it is like a fixed deck WB.

Thanks
Eric

nitrotim
02-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Can anyone answer my question regarding changing the height on a stander?? I have considered buying one but was wondering if it is like a fixed deck WB.

Thanks
Eric

Eric you change the height on the deck of the stander the same way you would on your WB. If this is a problem take a look at the new Sentar Sport. I just bought a 52/19 and they increased the blade speed on it as well as bigger clutch and deck pulleys. You can adjust the deck easily without having to hang a wheel off you trailer gate. I will send IM you with some pics later today.

gogetter
02-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Grease on hands and back begins to hurt after a while.

Erie, as already stated, you change the Stander the same way you do on your WB. I also hate doing it this way for the same reasons you listed above.
Just a couple simple tips to make it a little easier:

1. Wear gloves.
2. Get one of the mower jacks that are on the market.

outsideimage1
02-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't buy another stander if I were you. I have used them in the past and have found that you can buy a much better quality mower than the Wright units. Try looking at a Toro or Exmark...even a Scag. If you have the means a Walker would even be a good choice.

Legacy
02-20-2005, 02:26 PM

I'm with Kevin...you should check out the new Great Dane Super Surfer before you buy...

it's all new for 2005 with a much better cutting deck, new pumps and wheel motors, wider stance for hills, faster and more durable

Demo one bofore you buy!

Lawnchoice
03-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Who has some information on the difference between the Sentar and the Sentar sport for me?

jpmako
03-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Check out this post
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88622&highlight=657
He has some very detailed pictures, including some of the deck height adjustment.

Jason

westwind
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
52,25 Kawi. is the only way to go. You will not regret owning a stander. This will reduce your time.