PDA

View Full Version : Trading skid loaders

Tree Farmer
02-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Wow! What a lot of information on this site.
I currently have a Case 1840 which I originally bought to mow 16 acres of trees with a 5 ft mower. Itís a little small for the terrain and lacks the hydraulic oil capacity to stay cool. Iíve been dealing on an 1845 with the local Case dealer in the area. Well today I thought it might be smart to check the JD dealer to see if he had a Case on his lot he would want to get rid of. Currently he does not. He said that the JD 250 is a better machine than the Case 1845. Looking at the forum I donít know which way to go, Iím a strong JD enthusiast buy have always been partial to Case when it came to skid steers. I have 17 years of experience operating them from past employment, renting to finally owning one of my own. The 1845 is an 88 with 3700 hrs at $10,500. The JD is 00 with 900 hrs at $14,500.

Some of the other uses I have are moving hay, fencing, wood splitter, and general farm.

Tree Farmer
02-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I guess what I need help deciding is should I stay with the Case name or consider switching to JD?

Tigerotor77W
02-06-2005, 10:28 AM
See which one runs and "feels" better to you. If you test the Case and it seems to make weird noises or if the salesman dogs your questions, I'd probably go with the Deere. It's not that easy a judgment to make... the Case has 3,700 hours on it which is quite a bit. This could mean it's ready or going to be ready for overhaul. (Not saying that it won't last, but you won't know immediately.) The Deere *should* be all right, but if it only has 900 hours and is from '00, it probably means no one wants it badly. Early Deeres had some hystat troubles, but these issues were addressed. I think you'll find the Deere a more capable machine for your tasks, but if it isn't high-flow, well, you might not be getting much more productivity out of it to begin with.

In short: either one is okay but in this case you really have to test them both out, and perhaps even consider trying to find a use HF machine.

ksss
02-06-2005, 05:13 PM
My thoughts would be that 10,500 for a 1988 1845 with that many hours is way too much. The 1845C is one of those benchmark machines in the skid steer industry. Very dependable, great resale (evident by the relatively small price difference between the CASE and the much newer DEERE) and it is the all time highest volume selling skid steer model in the industry. That said the C model brought some comforts such as the "pull down seat restraint". The "flip over restraints" of the 93' and previous machines sucks bad. The hydrualics received much needed attention in the C model. I would definetely find a newer C model with high flow if you want to stay with an 1845. CASE has one here a 2000 model with cab and high flow for $17,500. With the shear numbers of these machines out there you can find a deal if you look (internet). The newer CASE machines are much quieter, better controls, much more power. The reliability of the new machines is about equal to that of 1800 series.

shanaqua
02-14-2005, 04:04 PM
I have a 2000 1845 with 419 hrs and cab that is in excellent shape. I am located in eastern Ia. Let me know if you are interested.

MowingisMaddness
02-15-2005, 08:36 PM
I am interested in your 1845. Got info and photos?

Thanks,aj

email adamjeanann@yahoo.com

ProLandscapes
02-16-2005, 02:10 AM
I am also interested in your 1845 let me know what you want.