PDA

View Full Version : Honda 24hp on Super Z surging help?

CharlieBingo
02-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Rebuilt the carb, changed plugs, fuel filter still surges any suggestions?

LLandscaping
02-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Our Scag usually start to surge when there is trash in the fuel filter. Have you changed the fuel filter?

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 06:16 PM
is this the newer model 24 (single bolt holding valve covers or 4 bolts)
I have a new model 24 on my stump grinder that does that (searching)
the motor is running lean, set half choke it should smooth out. if it does,
so far i cleaned my carb twice, changed filters twice, changed plugs and was told by a guy that really knows these motors to break the idle screw tab off so i could clean the jet. haven't tried it yet but i'm sure that if i do it will fix it.

DennisF
02-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Check the governor. It might be out of adjustment. I'm not familiar with Honda engines but the governor set-ups are pretty much the same on most Air-cooled engines.

Travis Followell
02-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Does it surge with a load on the engine like when your driving it or mowing with it or does it only do it when your sitting still?

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Does it surge with a load on the engine like when your driving it or mowing with it or does it only do it when your sitting still?
Travis, i don't know about charlie's motor but on mine it does it in all rpm ranges & under minor loads. when i put the grinding wheel into a stump and it goes full throttle it smooths out. the owner at the local rayco dealer (whom is very sharp with engines) said that i should remove the sealed jet & clean it. thing is when i had the carb out the bowl was clean as new.
I'm really didn't want to break that seal cause then my warranty is void.
If its fuel related it won't be covered by warranty, they got ya either way.
I'm open to suggestions too. :D

Travis Followell
02-06-2005, 05:09 PM
The reason i ask is we have a 25 hp Kohler that surges when it doesn't have a load on it. It runs good idling but any faster than that and it will surge but if you take off driving or start mowing it runs prefect. I don't know whats wrong with it. I'm thinking something to do with the govenor like a weak spring or something.

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 05:37 PM
The reason i ask is we have a 25 hp Kohler that surges when it doesn't have a load on it. It runs good idling but any faster than that and it will surge but if you take off driving or start mowing it runs prefect. I don't know whats wrong with it. I'm thinking something to do with the govenor like a weak spring or something.
my briggs did that turned out to be a bad spark plug. try giving a small amount of choke, thats how i determine if its a lean fuel mixture problem.
I never touch a govenor if I can help it.

Travis Followell
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I know what you mean. I hate fooling with govenors. If I remember correctly it will run better if you pull the choke out a little. We're gonna replace the plugs before we start mowing this year. I guess its running a little lean but i'm not sure if the carb is adjustable or not. I'll have to look at it or look it up in the manual.

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 05:59 PM
I know what you mean. I hate fooling with govenors. If I remember correctly it will run better if you pull the choke out a little. We're gonna replace the plugs before we start mowing this year. I guess its running a little lean but i'm not sure if the carb is adjustable or not. I'll have to look at it or look it up in the manual.
If its out of warranty, make it adjustible.
I think thats where these problems are developing is because of the sealed jets. I'm pretty sure mine is a spec of something in the jet, warranty is expired now so i'm gonna take the advice i recieved and adjust it.