PDA

View Full Version : Dormant seeding

forgop
02-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Is this a good time to dormant seed in the midwest? Also, when should I put the crabgrass preventative down?

all ferris
02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
If you check out this guys other posts he rags on how people are not professional because they can't spell or something. IMO I might not be able to spell but I'm way more professional than you because I already know the answers to these questions.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=92442

SodKing
02-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Is this a good time to dormant seed in the midwest? Also, when should I put the crabgrass preventative down?

If you have to ask , you must not be licensed....

Turf Medic
02-05-2005, 07:51 PM
But he shurrr do spelll gud. :cool2:

gogetter
02-05-2005, 08:03 PM
You sure ask for a lot of advice from us bunch of illiterate dummies! LOL!

By the way, I love this line from one of your posts:

"IF I were a "professional", which I'm not...."

LOL! That cracks me up!

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
If you check out this guys other posts he rags on how people are not professional because they can't spell or something. IMO I might not be able to spell but I'm way more professional than you because I already know the answers to these questions.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=92442
yup, thanks for reminding me, post #27 (petrentz) warned him of this occassion coming along. and here he is. :p :D :p

forgop
02-06-2005, 01:21 AM
You can all be po'd all you want about it, but all I was doing was making a suggestion to improve the image a lot of people in this industry have. I didn't say anyone on here wasn't incapable of being successful in this business because of it. Being able to communicate professionally will set you apart even more than your competition. If you don't think that's true, you're just fooling yourself.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 12:20 PM
AS long as you dont criticize my spelling or grammar. Here is my take on dormant seeding. Mother nature places the seeds at the top of the grass stem for a reason. As the winter goes and the wind blows these seeds are distributed all winter long. The cold temperatures keep these seed from germinating before the time is right for the grass to survive or thrive. With that said. You can pretty much dormant seed all winter long. Yes, you will lose some seed because of eairly germination and freezing but the majority of the seed will not germinate until the weather stays warm enough for it all to germinate. Yes you might have to overseed in spring if your winter happended to contain a long warm spell causing the seed to germinate eairly. That is a chance you will be taking with dormant seeding.

Now for the crabgrass preventive. Since you are trying to be a professional LCO, MY answer as to when is the best time to apply the pre-emergent is never. The fact that you had to ask that question proves that you are not licensed and therefore should never apply any type of herbicide.

Running a LCO isnt rocket science so a Bachler degree in Areonautics isnt going to help. What will help is spending a little time doing research provided by various Universities in Lawn maintainance. Using your search engine and simply typing in pesticides, or fertilizer, or grass seed will get you access to all the information you can possibily digest on the subjects you are interested in. Once you have read this research you can then come here and get simple clarifications for the things you dont understand or need help with. Then when you ask a question you will have a general knowledge of what you are asking and, it wont seem as if you are a total jerk looking for shortcuts. And I hate spell check