PDA

View Full Version : Help me on this one! !

advancedlawnsolutions
02-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Hey guys I'm new to teh biz. I offer complete irrigation service and low voltage lighting and I also want to help customers solve the issues they have with turf & plant problems like insects, diseases, or infertility. I'm study trufgrass management (homestudy) through UGA and I'm about 3/4 the way through. I'm thinking on all granular applications except spot treat for weeds. I have limited funds that inhibit me from purchasing high $ spray equipment. Question to you guys is can I make a viable business through granular applications? And what should I charge? My irrigation service is $45/ hr. + supplies & .05% markup. How can I be competitive with granular?

advancedlawnsolutions
02-05-2005, 06:48 PM
The problem in this area with the competition seems to be who can spray the site the fastest. My concern is the actual turf or plant growth problem. But I want to make money too.

Luscious Lawns
02-05-2005, 08:04 PM
We use granular fert & Pre and a backpack for post emergent spot weed control. This has fit my biz plan well. However I only sell chem to mowing clients. The main advantage to large spray equipment is it allows you to move through applications faster, also they are very handy in case you are called to a location with many pre-existing weeds. We also have a 30 gal electric on a Z we use for "nightmare" lawns. With our only selling chem apps to full service clients our day to day work does not bring us into contact with many "nightmare" projects.

James Cormier
02-05-2005, 10:53 PM
#1Question to you guys is can I make a viable business through granular applications? #2And what should I charge? My irrigation service is $45/ hr. + supplies & .05% markup.#3 How can I be competitive with granular?

1. Yes, most companies do alot of granular treatments.
2. Why would you ask complete strangers what you should charge for your services? Where did you come up with the $45 +supplies+5% ( I assume you mean 5% not .05%) Did someone tell you that you need to charge that?
3. What good is being competitive if your not making money? You will not be around for long.

advancedlawnsolutions
02-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I did mean 5% mark up. The $45/ hr. was what I felt was a fair labor charge for just myself and what little equipment I have. But I don't want to be the cut throat man either. That's why I'm asking experienced applicators who have made a living at this type of service.
I know I don't know any of you personally- therefore you are strangers.
But sometimes you just have to put a little trust in some folks that are not strangers in what they are talking about and working with. Right now I'm a stranger to fert. applications but am studying hard to provide a quality service for the right price.

PR Fect
02-06-2005, 05:13 PM
How do you like the U GA corse? I'm on chapter 11

Williams Services
02-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Advanced,

Glad to see a neighbor in here! I won't go into pricing but until you get on your feet, we'd be happy to do your apps for you (we're licensed), esp. since apps are all that we do. Let me know if you're interested and we can talk on it sometime.

advancedlawnsolutions
02-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back PC got a virus.

The UGA course is great as far as I can tell -- I'm at the mercy of the course as far as accuracy. I'm on chp. 9 insect control.

ThreeWide
02-11-2005, 08:10 AM
I went through the entire UGA turfgrass management course that you have about 2 years ago. I thought the program was excellent.

You are currently where I stood about 18 months ago, trying to figure out how to get started in this biz. After you pass the CTP exams, then you need to prepare for the pesticide licensing exams.

If you apply any pesticide prior to getting your license, you are risking a big fine from the state. Take this from someone who has been there, if you pass the CTP the pesticide exams are relatively easy. I did self-study and had no problem passing. Much of the material will be review for you, with the exception of the ornamental section. They have the pesticide testing schedule on the web. You'll have to search for it.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

PR Fect
02-11-2005, 11:39 PM
TU, I did it the other way around, I was licensed two years ago by the state of Wisconsin. I'm taking the UG coarse now to be alittle more informed. Its great to have the review. Jan, the other half of PR-Fect is taking her state exam next month. It great to compair studies. I find that the UG coarse is a little outdated and there is some double speak and what I think are typo's. All and all it is good. If i would get off Lawnsite, I could read the last chapter. Final exam two weeks.