PDA

View Full Version : How Far?

LawnsByJon
02-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I'll admit to being a techno-geek. I can't mow without my MP3 player, and I always have a digital camera with me, be it my cell phone or my real phone.

I also have a GPS unit. I use it for various purposes, including as an odometer, which it can be very useful as.

I was wondering if anyone's every used a GPS or any other device to measure how far they actually go in a day of mowing, not measuring drive time, only working time.

I'm figuring it has to be a lot.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 09:45 PM
...but I'd sure like to know how far I've walked in a day when I do 26 soccer fields (various sizes) for lining and markings...

LawnsByJon
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
...but I'd sure like to know how far I've walked in a day when I do 26 soccer fields (various sizes) for lining and markings...

Go to the local sporting goods store, and pick up a $99 GPS. Depending on what you get, you'll be able to find out exactly how far you go, and some units even have information like average speeds and stuff like that.

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I'll admit to being a techno-geek. I can't mow without my MP3 player, and I always have a digital camera with me, be it my cell phone or my real phone.

I also have a GPS unit. I use it for various purposes, including as an odometer, which it can be very useful as.

I was wondering if anyone's every used a GPS or any other device to measure how far they actually go in a day of mowing, not measuring drive time, only working time.

I'm figuring it has to be a lot.
i don't know about measuring miles a day or per job. but i did chat with a guy last week said he uses his to measure lots. starts at 1 corner and walks the yard to get sq ft. could also use it to walk off triming and see how far it is. i think.
I tried to PM you the other day from your other post about putting down scotts, you need to turn on your PM and i will send you some info.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Go to the local sporting goods store, and pick up a $99 GPS. Depending on what you get, you'll be able to find out exactly how far you go, and some units even have information like average speeds and stuff like that.

Now that would intale me getting off the computer and going to the store... :eek:

Honestly though, I think I'll pick one up this year. Anyone ever advertise the fact they use GPS to measure lawn sizes? U know promote the accuracy thing.

stumper1620
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Now that would intale me getting off the computer and going to the store... :eek:

Honestly though, I think I'll pick one up this year. Anyone ever advertise the fact they use GPS to measure lawn sizes? U know promote the accuracy thing.
I don't think he advertised it. that just came up in conversing about lot sizes,
I use my laser range finder and a calculator. My wife measured the neighbors with a wheel & I measured with my range finder. exactly the same figure. :D

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-05-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't think he advertised it. that just came up in conversing about lot sizes,
I use my laser range finder and a calculator. My wife measured the neighbors with a wheel & I measured with my range finder. exactly the same figure. :D

I meant the question as a seperate aside as in "Has anyone here used it as a marketing tool?"