PDA

View Full Version : Taking Full Advantage of Customers

JimLewis
01-31-2001, 12:29 PM
One thing a lot of us are guilty of is not taking full advantage of our existing or previous customers. I wanted to share some ideas that I use to do this and maybe others can too.

One thing I did last year was to send out a thank you letter and a $25 gift certificate (to be used for side jobs - mulching, pruning, clean-ups, planting, etc.) to all of the customers who had paid us on time every month during the previous year. I told them that because of their loyalty and excellent payment history they had become one of our "preferred customers". This was effective in two ways. One, the customers felt appreciated. And two, it gave them an incentive to call us for additional work.

Another thing I did early this month was I wrote a letter to all of the people who we had done a one time clean-up or side job for thanking them and I also enclosed a $25 gift certficate. In the letter I thanked them for their previous business, hoped they were satisfied with the service they received, and asked them to think of us when they needed landscape work again in the future. I also enclosed a few biz cards.

I should note too that in both of the above cases I mentioned in my letter that if they didn't have a need for the gift certificate they were always welcome to pass it on to someone who did.

Another thing I do from time to time is I go by all of my regular clients' houses and take a look around to see if there is any additional work that I can see needs done. Now, for some of you who are at your clients' houses every week already you can just do it then. But I don't really work in the yards much any more so I have to make a concerted effort to go out and check on them. If I can see they need a pruning job or could use some new mulch, I call them up and tell them I noticed it and I could do it for $xx.xx.

Just some thoughts. Anyone else?

Michael Fronczak
01-31-2001, 03:54 PM
Good ideas.

bob
01-31-2001, 04:01 PM
I like that $25 gift certifacate idea. Everyone will want to use it!

inside-out
01-31-2001, 05:01 PM
I really liked to gift certificate idea. It probably works great

Mueller Landscape Inc
01-31-2001, 07:17 PM
Hey Jim,

Have you heard of Marty Grunders "Winners Circle"? Marty is a marketing guru.

John

JimLewis
01-31-2001, 08:06 PM
No, but I am interested. I did several searched online and didn't come up with anything. Is it a rare book?

Mueller Landscape Inc
01-31-2001, 08:23 PM
Jim,

Take a look at Marty's site. He owns a landscaping company. He has put together a system that he has used for marketing his company. There is LOTS of great stuff in it. I have used a lot of his ideas.

http://www.grunderswinnerscircle.com/

John

Getmow
01-31-2001, 09:36 PM
Jim,
If you want that packet email me direct!!!