PDA

View Full Version : Lettered trailer parked at my residence?

newbomb
02-05-2005, 10:28 PM
There has been a discussion here the last week or so about trailers and lettering them. I have all but decided to letter mine. A business owner friend of mine and I were discussing it and he wondered if having a lettered trailer parked at my residence would cause complaints from neighbors. I have off street parking but the trailer is visible from the road. I have had the enclosed trailer for several years with no complaints but I wonder if lettering it would make a difference. I am sure there are some type of zoning regs about commericial vehicles in residential areas here. I guess a call to the county zoning office might be a good start.

Any one have any thoughts or experiences to share?

-Paul

lawnman_scott
02-05-2005, 10:35 PM
call the town or city you live in. There are different laws everywhere. Here it just has to be at least 20 feet from the street.

NEUSWEDE
02-05-2005, 10:37 PM
What would be the difference in parking a lettered truck or a lettered trailer. Same difference to me. I say no problem go for it. What about a guy who drives a van for a company all painted and lettred up who brings it home. I say don't worry about it. No one is going to harass you about it. They will understand it is your business and you don't have a shop.
Just my $0.01 not good enough to be $0.02
Show us pictures once lettered

Grass Gator
02-05-2005, 10:40 PM
It will depend on the Covenants from your Homeowners Association. Many do not allow such parking. Check yours if you live in a control community.

traman
02-05-2005, 11:26 PM
it all depends if your neighborhood is deed restricted ,meaning no commercial vehicals on property . if no name or phone numbers are on trailer or on the truck it is personal ,once you put company name or phone numbers on it, it becomes commercial . each sub-division has there own rules ,need to check with the county

Turf Medic
02-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Check with the city or county, I have seen some areas that people have to use magnetic signs so they can remove them while the vehicle is parked at their residence.

Bull
02-06-2005, 01:07 AM
I know placing the call may save some headaches down the road but this reminds me of the time I called some years ago to ask about bow hunting in the city limits where I live. I knew that you could not discharge a firearm in the city limits but at the time I called bow hunting had not been addressed. Two months after my call an ordinance was passed that made it illegal to discharge anything that delivered a projectile. Since a city police officer lives right behind me this put a stop to shooting my bow in my backyard and now even made a slingshot illegal.

ALarsh
02-06-2005, 01:30 AM
it all depends if your neighborhood is deed restricted ,meaning no commercial vehicals on property . if no name or phone numbers are on trailer or on the truck it is personal ,once you put company name or phone numbers on it, it becomes commercial . each sub-division has there own rules ,need to check with the county

Ditto. :) :)

i_plant_art
02-06-2005, 01:57 AM
is your truck registered as a commercial vehicle? if not then there is no problem. even if so since it is your source of employment, is parked on your property, and is owned by you then there should be no problem even if it is registered commercially. its not like you parking a semi with a 53' foot trailer in front of your home. sure you might not want to make the neighbors mad, but in the end who pays your bills? im sure they dont so who cares what they think they can get over it.

Groundcover Solutions
02-06-2005, 02:04 AM
You need to check your local ordances. For example in our comunity you can only have one letter vechical on your property. also i know in our community that you can not store your trailer or other equipment in your drive way, or where it can be seen. These are all local ordances. As far as homeowners associations go, they do not have a huge say in this aspect. It is all local code they have no athority to inforce rules of this type. they would have to resort to local code. homeowners associations can not trump local code.

mtdman
02-06-2005, 03:18 AM
What would be the difference in parking a lettered truck or a lettered trailer. Same difference to me. I say no problem go for it. What about a guy who drives a van for a company all painted and lettred up who brings it home. I say don't worry about it. No one is going to harass you about it. They will understand it is your business and you don't have a shop.
Just my $0.01 not good enough to be $0.02
Show us pictures once lettered

Well, I don't keep my stuff at my house, but I do bring it back with me every so often. One night I had it out front for a few hours, and sure enough two days later I get a visit from the county. Some neighbor complained about me running a business from my house, which was not true, and they inspected the grounds. After he found nothing he took off and stopped bothering me, but he did explain that if someone complains they have to investigate. If you live in an area zoned for residential, you can't run a business from your house. At least around here. And really, I pretty much agree with this.

wissel_landscaping
02-06-2005, 06:22 AM
I took my truck and trailer home a couple of times last year (i lived 1/2 mile from the city hall) and they sent a letter to my house saying i could not have a commercial vehical parked at a residential dwelling. if there was no lettering on the truck and trailer it would have been fine, they wouldnt have known it was commercial. my drive way was also over 400' long. you could see it from the street so i'm sure that was also part of the problem.

ealbertson
02-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't rock the boat. If it is not allowed and someone complains you would probably not be able to keep it there anymore even if you painted over the lettering. Also, no one may care now but what if someone moves in that does.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I feel for you folks that live in a world where everything that you chose to do is regulated for the convience of others. What every happened to the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. What is even worse, the people that are moving into my area seem to think that restrictions on my freedoms should be put in place just so they can protect what they see as the proper way of life. Personally, I think that a lot of these laws and regulation should be outlawed. If I buy a piece of land and pay for it with my money, I should be able to use that land for whatever purpose I see fit. If it pee's off the neighbors tuff sh!t. They dont pay my bill's or contribute to my welfare and I am not asking them to.

cgland
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Groundcover - I hate to burst your bubble, but HOA's can tighten the reigns on local codes. HOA's are private communities and the can set their own rules and regs. In my area you can have 1 commercial vehicle at your residence before having to park elsewhere. In the HOA's that we maintain you CANNOT have any commercial vehicles on your property. Just another example, If you want you can own 6 cars and park them on your property or on the street. In HOA's you can have double the capacity of your garage (2 car garage = 4 cars on the property) Theses cars must be parked in YOUR driveway. See, HOA's must abide by local codes, but they can tweak the codes to fit their needs and requirements. That's why HOA roads are not dedicated. Consider them like a private club. What they say goes.

Chris

HOOLIE
02-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Where I live I can have one commercial vehicle at home, but they don't allow you to keep a trailer at home (either on property or on the street). So I'm not supposed to keep a trailer in the driveway, but the guy around the corner from me is allowed to take his dump truck home every night, which looks much worse, IMO.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-06-2005, 11:30 AM
...on any trailer in our area. My father had is 30" travel trailer in the driveway for a stretch of 4 days when they were getting it ready for the summer and the next door neighbour called and had him cautioned. Only lived beside the guy for 20 plus years.

James Cormier
02-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I feel for you folks that live in a world where everything that you chose to do is regulated for the convience of others. What every happened to the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. What is even worse, the people that are moving into my area seem to think that restrictions on my freedoms should be put in place just so they can protect what they see as the proper way of life. Personally, I think that a lot of these laws and regulation should be outlawed. If I buy a piece of land and pay for it with my money, I should be able to use that land for whatever purpose I see fit. If it pee's off the neighbors tuff sh!t. They dont pay my bill's or contribute to my welfare and I am not asking them to.

Mudd, here is a good example of why your wrong.

I live in a nice residential area, Ive worked very hard to get my property and enjoy it with my wife and kids. Ive been a business owner now for 10 years and NEVER ran my business out of my home.

Couple house down from me, A landscpaper buys a home, small but big wooded lot, (Turns out parents bought it for them from what I hear) they tear down almost every tree in the back yard, even take down some trees on the abutters property , and drops them on their land!! Starts running his landscpaing business out of there, employees showing up at 7am starting trucks, running equipment. One neighbor goes over and ask them if they could keep it down so early in the morning, the response was " Fu#k you, My property I can do as I please"

Turns out he never got a permit to run the business out of the home, I turned him in, He applied to do this after the fact, but because he pissed off so many people, they gave him a cease and desist, and a $100 a day fine for every day he has his trucks there.

I guess he complained he couldn't afford a shop, but I saw several new truck, a huge loader, back hoe, bobcat, and hydro seeder. If you have all that equipment and cant afford a shop then you dont know how to run a business, and when Im swimming with my kids in my pool on Sunday afternoon, I dont want to listen to some clown loading mulch in his dump trucks!

ALarsh
02-06-2005, 12:15 PM

You don't own your land, the government does. You bought the right to use it and decide how you want to change it, within the governments laws. Read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki.

If you truly owned it, you wouldn't have to pay property taxes each year and you would be able to do what you wish with it.

Hamons
02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
whether your trailer is lettered or not -- does not make it commercial. If it is used for your business it is commercial.

However neighbor's perception might change that.

One thing I do is provide very cheap fertilizer and weedcontrol to m entire block -- up and down -- 16 houses.

Takes me just a few hours of time. Everyone pays = just discounted. Not only do I have a nice looking block -- no weeds to blow in my yad -- I get a lot of referrals from their friends and they don't complain about me for any reason - although I try very hard to keep my business invisible to them. AND I break no city codes

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Mudd, here is a good example of why your wrong.

I live in a nice residential area, Ive worked very hard to get my property and enjoy it with my wife and kids. Ive been a business owner now for 10 years and NEVER ran my business out of my home.

Couple house down from me, A landscpaper buys a home, small but big wooded lot, (Turns out parents bought it for them from what I hear) they tear down almost every tree in the back yard, even take down some trees on the abutters property , and drops them on their land!! Starts running his landscpaing business out of there, employees showing up at 7am starting trucks, running equipment. One neighbor goes over and ask them if they could keep it down so early in the morning, the response was " Fu#k you, My property I can do as I please"

Turns out he never got a permit to run the business out of the home, I turned him in, He applied to do this after the fact, but because he pissed off so many people, they gave him a cease and desist, and a $100 a day fine for every day he has his trucks there.

I guess he complained he couldn't afford a shop, but I saw several new truck, a huge loader, back hoe, bobcat, and hydro seeder. If you have all that equipment and cant afford a shop then you dont know how to run a business, and when Im swimming with my kids in my pool on Sunday afternoon, I dont want to listen to some clown loading mulch in his dump trucks!

James, I see where you are coming from. I too have a neighbor that isnt exactly neighborly. He keeps goats, dogs, chickens and generaly trashes his residence. My point is , why should my wants and needs outweigh his wants and needs. Do I like that I have to drive by his place and see all the trash, certainly not but, it is his place and he seems to enjoy his living conditions. I know for a fact if he was to come to my house and tell me I couldnt keep my trucks or equipment parked on my property he would going back home talking to himself. Why, because I believe he has as many rights as I do. And I dont think my infringeing on his rights is what this country was set up to be about. I might not like the way he lives but, I dont have the right to dictate how he lives. When one buys a home in an area that has these restricitons then they have chosen to abide by the rules set forth before they bought the home. They should abide by those rules because they chosen to be govern by them. My problem stems from the fact that people from other areas move into my area and then want to dictate how I should live and conduct my business. They want to conform my community into what they think is acceptable and what I want doesnt matter anymore because I dont conform to what they think is acceptable. To me they are not acceptable because they cant accept me, or the people around me, for what we are. If they dont like it here and are not willing to accept the way of life here then, they should just move somewhere else. I mean, its pretty obvious they dont like it here or not happy here or they wouldnt be trying to change everything. It's basicly a different type of cultures. One culture trying to change the other culture.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 01:14 PM
You don't own your land, the government does. You bought the right to use it and decide how you want to change it, within the governments laws. Read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki.

If you truly owned it, you wouldn't have to pay property taxes each year and you would be able to do what you wish with it.

Article [V]
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

ALarsh
02-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Stop paying your taxes and see what the government does with "your" land.

MMLawn
02-06-2005, 01:44 PM

Very moronic statement there kid. You pay the property taxes on it for the SERVICES you receive such as Fire and Police Protection, Garbage Pickup, Streets and the maintentance of those, infrastructure, etc,etc.

Plus BTW at 15 years old just exactly how much "land" do YOU OWN and PAY PROPERTY TAXES on there young Mr. Larsh? I bet you don't even pay the taxes you make on cutting grass do you?

ALarsh
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Can't read your post mm. I have put you on IGNORE. I will teach you how to use this function, ok?

1) Click on my name

2) Go to "View Public Profile"

3) Click on "Add ALarsh to your ignore list"

I have even provided a picture because it is so difficult to find.

DIRTRACING20
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
ok heres my take we live in a free country but we are as free as the money we make with alot of money u can get away with murder just look at the news. i personly am not going to live where some one is going to say hey you live there and you work for what u have but im going to tell you that you can not park your work truck at your house that you are paying for please what kind of life is that. does not sound like much to me i bet those of u who like that kind of thing would change your mind when those same houseing areas start to say we need a law becouse the lawn guy is comeing to work in my area at 12.00 clock and i cant sleep,look at tv this is the kind of people who have nothing in life but to sit and see if they can dectate what you or some one elses is doing people are cazy this day and time i know there are some thangs u just dont do but to tell me that i can not park what i pay for or use to feed my family in my drive way not for me those people can live like that if they want to but im not. you can say that your personal car is a problem for that matter becouse its not there likeing tell me what is the big deal i mean guy are say they parked there over night and someone has to say something crazy

GrassBustersLawn
02-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Pretty much same situation as MTDMAN posted.

I took my trailer home 2 nughts (because we worked late). Parked in at end of my driveway, in my backyard, where NO ONE could see it. The next FRIDAY I see a CITY car slowly cruising in front of my house. About a week later I got a letter from the city...You can't operate a business from your house...you have 2 weeks from date of letter, which was 6 days prior to when I received it...or else you get fined $2,500 A DAY!

On the 14th day (also a Friday) I see the city car cruising again. I went out and talked to the guy (they can't bother getting out of the car!). I told him I have a warehouse, do you want to see the receipt? No, he didn't need it. He did say I needed to park my PU truck somewhere else. I said WHAT? Yes, you can't have signs on your truck that is parked in your drive. I had a "discussion" with him for a few minutes over that one. He said I needed to take them off. I said I didn't. Haven't heard anymore from him on that. Bottom line - check your CITY rules. Mine were on the COMPUTER and I down loaded them and read them prior to the inspector coming. I knew that he was full of SH!T when he was talking to me. BUT WHAT YOUR CITY/SUBDIVISION SAYS IS WHAT GOES!

Mike

mtdman
02-06-2005, 03:00 PM
I have no problem with zoning laws, and if I lived in an hoa, I would abide by those as well. I keep my business seperate from my home, and I don't want my neighbors being loud and running businesses out of their houses. The neighborhood I moved to prevents that. If I didn't mind, I'd move to a neighborhood that was zoned differently, or buy a piece of land in the country somewhere.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I have no problem with zoning laws, and if I lived in an hoa, I would abide by those as well. I keep my business seperate from my home, and I don't want my neighbors being loud and running businesses out of their houses. The neighborhood I moved to prevents that. If I didn't mind, I'd move to a neighborhood that was zoned differently, or buy a piece of land in the country somewhere.

You are where you want to be by choice. Nothing wrong with that and in fact one should choose to live where they are most comfortable. My problem stems from the new neighbor that moves in and then wants me to conform to their way of thinking. I have lived within about a 3 mile radius of where I was born and raised all my life. The new developments that are being built are now putting in place all kinds of rules and regulations. Thats fine and well but these same developments are being built next to other properties that dont have all those nonsense rules. The probelm arises when the ones that are governed by the rules expect those that are not governed by those rules, to comply with the same rules. Those are the ones that tick me off. I actully had on fellow from florida try to run me off my own property. Boy did he get a rude awaking. He thought that just because he bought a lot on top of the mopuntain that he owned the whole mountain. When I showed him my property corner, which he had planted grass on and was mowing, and told him I expected him to revert the property back to wood land he had a fit. When I took him to court and charged him $600 per tree for every tree he had removed he almost had a heart attact. When the judge made him pay he sold out and left. Good riddance.

James Cormier
02-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Mudd, I see your point, but usually its the other way around, the person that has lived there the longest thinks there exempt from following the rules.

Now my problem is only with people trying to run a business out of there home without going thru the right channels, then when they get caught they start crying the " this land is mine " game.

There is a HUGE difference between someone driving a company truck home every day ( I do most of the time ) to someone running a landscaping business out of there house. My town is pretty lax on that, they draw the line when you either have employees or customers showing up everyday. And the golden rule if your gonna try to skirt the law, dont piss off your neighbors by being rude.

Having employees or customers show up every day creates a nuisance, and no one has the " right " to create nuisance's without suffering some kind of consequence

newbomb
02-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank you all for weighing in. I will check the county code and see. I am a solo operator with no employees or retail operation. Out at about 7 am and back by dark. I will be full time this year so I hope to be able to spruce up the place a little. I hope this will help keep the peace. The property is kept residential looking with no equpment visible, unless Im mowing here. Usually very quiet. I would like a pole barn but thats going to be a tough sell on 6/10 acre spread. I WILL PROBABLY NOT LETTER THE TRAILER UNLESS THE COUNTY SAYS IT"S COOL.
I have reached my limit on a**holes and I don't know what would happen if I had to answer to one more.

Thanks

-Paul

afftandem
02-06-2005, 05:19 PM
skrew them...... its a free country.. your trailer sits there.. might as well have letters on them... if your trailer can sit there, then you can put letters on them.. since when is the alphabet illegal????? if you get a notice to remove, then go and tear down any and all signs at the local public schools that are around residential housing... theyre illegal also... what goes in on zoning should be just to keep heavier equip out... not to remove a truck (thats normally okay) but with letters, it has to go!.. B.S. ......

think about this..... Who has given them authority over you??? Do other people have the right to put another person over you??? Or are you in control of yourself and your property???

Im sick of being told what to do! Never do I wake up in the morning and think to myself, "Man!, I really need to control other peoples rights"... this country gets more and more controling by the day. All we do is roll are tails between our legs, sit, and take it. Nobody fights, or complains anymore. Thought we were in charge.

Put the damn letters on your trailer!!!!!! Dont ask for permission!!!!!!

LIBERTARIAN ALL THE WAY

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 06:30 PM
I agree James, if you buy a property that already has rules in place, then you should be willing to abide by those rules.

Having employees or customers show up every day creates a nuisance, and no one has the " right " to create nuisance's without suffering some kind of consequence

And just who has the "right" to denie someone the opportunity to make a living?

As I said, if you purchase a piece of property that is restricted against running a business then you shouldnt run a business there. You had that choice when you bought the property. But if you bought a property next to a business you should expect that business to continue doing business. And as long as that business is operating legitimatly then stay home and keep quite. In your situation the business isnt being run legit because it is being operated on a peice of property that is restricted against businesses. The owner should know that and you have a legitimate reason to defend you solitude. For me its just the other way around. My property is free of restrictions and protected by the Constitution of the United States and I intend to keep it that way. In the case of my agressive neighbor trying to run me off my property, if he had of just been reasonable, I couldnt have cared less if he had cut a few trees to make his lawn a little bigger. His attitude cost him. I have been met at gunpoint by people that have bought a small lot and think they own the entire country. They have tried to run me off of US Forest Service property because they dont think I should be there. Its alright if they use public property as long as no one else does. I have people that own lake lots try to prevent me from fishing from a boat in front of their property, even tho they dont even own all the way down to the water. This is the type of people whose ideals of restictions p!ss me off. And dont ask how I know where there property ends and the lakes or forest service property starts. Its clearly marked.

newbomb
02-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I seem to have sparked a debate on freedom in the US. All I wanted is a sign. Any way I surfed the Baltimore County web site and heres what I have found.

1 My F350 is a pickup truck and therefore is exempt from commercial parking proceedures even if it is used in a business venture.

2 The only ordinance trailer parking states that Any unmotorized vehicle may not be parked ON THE STREET for more than 48 hours and then only if it has business there. Off street parking is OK.
I could not find any reference to lettering of vehicles I might call Monday to be sure.

I am not a member of a HOA and I think the neighborhood association is not a formal registered entitiy, I might be in good shape. We'll see.

Thanks to all

-Paul

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Newbomb, I apologuise for hijacking your thread. I didnt mean to start a personal rant.

ed2hess
02-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you will be okay...just don't block sidewalks if you have them. We plant a lot of flowers and use winter rye to make our property look good all the time, compared to neighbors.

James Cormier
02-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Paul, The only reason why I got into this post was to point out if you don't live in a commercial zoned property it is most likely not alright to run a business out of your house.

Having lettering on your truck trailer and parking it in your driveway just implies that you are running a business out of your house.

The reason we have this laws is not to restrict personal freedoms or right to make a living, come on, you guys are smarter than that. The laws are there to protect you and me, from someone coming into a residential neighborhood and putting up a Store 24 in there garage, Chinese restaurant on there back porch or used car dealer in there front yard. OR a landscaping business in there back yard. You cant expect the law to distinguish between every type of business's out there. Especially when there are plenty of commercial area to run your businesses, so get off your rumps, charge appropriately so you make enough money and get out of your dad's garage, and rent space!!!!

James Cormier
02-07-2005, 09:23 AM
And just who has the "right" to denie someone the opportunity to make a living?

Nobody does,and making someone follow rules in place doesn't deny anyone there right, It just says you gotta do things correctly.

As I said, if you purchase a piece of property that is restricted against running a business then you shouldnt run a business there. You had that choice when you bought the property. But if you bought a property next to a business you should expect that business to continue doing business. And as long as that business is operating legitimatly then stay home and keep quite. In your situation the business isnt being run legit because it is being operated on a peice of property that is restricted against businesses. The owner should know that and you have a legitimate reason to defend you solitude. For me its just the other way around. My property is free of restrictions and protected by the Constitution of the United States and I intend to keep it that way. In the case of my agressive neighbor trying to run me off my property, if he had of just been reasonable, I couldnt have cared less if he had cut a few trees to make his lawn a little bigger. His attitude cost him. I have been met at gunpoint by people that have bought a small lot and think they own the entire country. They have tried to run me off of US Forest Service property because they dont think I should be there. Its alright if they use public property as long as no one else does. I have people that own lake lots try to prevent me from fishing from a boat in front of their property, even tho they dont even own all the way down to the water. This is the type of people whose ideals of restictions p!ss me off. And dont ask how I know where there property ends and the lakes or forest service property starts. Its clearly marked.

We are in total agreement on above paragraph

LB1234
02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Go to your public library and look up the zoning laws for your street/address. This should answer your question. Or call your townships zoning office. IMO, people on-line can't give you the correct answer unless they live next door to you...I'm willing to bet they don't.

mtdman
02-07-2005, 12:59 PM
You are where you want to be by choice. Nothing wrong with that and in fact one should choose to live where they are most comfortable. My problem stems from the new neighbor that moves in and then wants me to conform to their way of thinking. I have lived within about a 3 mile radius of where I was born and raised all my life. The new developments that are being built are now putting in place all kinds of rules and regulations. Thats fine and well but these same developments are being built next to other properties that dont have all those nonsense rules. The probelm arises when the ones that are governed by the rules expect those that are not governed by those rules, to comply with the same rules. Those are the ones that tick me off. I actully had on fellow from florida try to run me off my own property. Boy did he get a rude awaking. He thought that just because he bought a lot on top of the mopuntain that he owned the whole mountain. When I showed him my property corner, which he had planted grass on and was mowing, and told him I expected him to revert the property back to wood land he had a fit. When I took him to court and charged him $600 per tree for every tree he had removed he almost had a heart attact. When the judge made him pay he sold out and left. Good riddance.

I got no problem with this at all.

It's the people who think that owning a home gives them a right to do whatever they please on their property without respect to others in their neighborhood that bother me. Owning a home, owning property does not give one the right to do whatever and say screw the neighbors.