PDA

View Full Version : Toro to Phase Out Exmark?

Lee Homan
05-16-2000, 06:14 PM
Talked to a mechanic for a Toro dealer the other day and told him my interest in purchasing an exmark walk behind and he said that toro would be phasing out Exmark in a few years. Anybody heard anything on this?

Lazer
05-16-2000, 06:37 PM
He worked for a Toro dealership? Oh, okay.

mowerconsultant
05-16-2000, 07:56 PM
i doubt it will happen<br>the exmark unit is more popular than the toro version.<br>it would not be wise to.<br>but this is toro we are speaking of.

Keith
05-16-2000, 08:58 PM
We often here about things before even the dealers do. If this were true, I believe you would have heard from another source :) Hell, Toro kept Lawnboy around, it would be a dumbass move to get rid of Exmark. It is much better to have two brands to compete with the rest of the market. I'll bet over 50% of the people who buy Exmarks, don't even know Toro owns them. Some would not buy a mower with the Toro name, why eliminate any sales due to consolidation that would really have no positive impact on sales for Toro?<p><br>Hey Toro, Toro, Toro....I mean Lazer :) How are those Toro's doin?<p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith

Lee Homan
05-16-2000, 09:33 PM
I didn't take it as written in stone but thought maybe he heard something through the grapevine.....guess thats how rumors get started.

Toroguy
05-16-2000, 10:22 PM
Only news with Toro and eXmark I have heard was the settlement of patent infringement suit between eXmark and Ransome(march 22)

Richard Martin
05-17-2000, 05:36 AM
Hmm... I guess you guys don't get the same newsletters that I do. Toro has announced that it will be scaleing back it's product line very soon in an effort to make the company more profitable. While they aren't specific about what they will do I have to agree that the removal of the Exmark line is unlikely anytime soon. But, perhaps soon you will start to see &quot;Exmark By Toro&quot; or a Toro &quot;Exmark&quot; line of mowers. Although the two brands of mowers share the same parent company and Toro is using the Exmark ZTR plans for the Toro ZTRs there are still huge differences in the walkbehind mowers of which Exmark seems to be selling the most of. Now if the Exmark brand name starts to slip in sales, that might be a different story.

MDSMAN
05-17-2000, 10:26 PM
Toro bought out exmark about a year ago and what they mean is that they are changing both machines into one better machine

Lazer
05-17-2000, 10:28 PM
The buyout was in 1997.

Richard Martin
05-18-2000, 07:44 PM
MDSMAN wrote:<p>{what they mean is that they are changing both machines into one better machine )<p>That would be insane. A close look at the Toro and Exmark walk behinds would reveal one huge difference. Toro has T-bar steering and Exmark uses pistol grips. The Toro parent group would not want to alienate potential purchasers of either system. A more likely scenario would be the one I wrote above.

Toroguy
05-18-2000, 10:24 PM
Richard Martin,<br>I agree your scenario makes sense. I am unsure of the newsletters that indicate a scale down of the exmark division. Is this a from an annual report? A company insider?<p>Just wondering...

Richard Martin
05-19-2000, 05:03 AM
Well, Toro is being a little more specific now. The Toro and Exmark line of commercial mowers will not be eliminated. Toro is experiencing increased profits due in part to Toro and Exmark ZTR sales. Read the article at &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.lawnandlandscape.com&quot;&gt;www.lawnandlandscape.com&lt;/a&gt; entitled &quot;Toro Announces Profit Rise, New Profitability Campaign&quot;.