PDA

View Full Version : plant?

klink34
02-06-2005, 02:58 AM
looking for some help here. I don't know what the name of this plant is, and how would I trim this up? cut it at the base? not cut it at all? looking for some input

o-so-n-so
02-06-2005, 07:24 AM
This might help....

http://www.hostas.com/grasses/spring-cleanup.html

mdb landscaping
02-06-2005, 01:27 PM
a little trick i learned on here too.......before you cut it, wrap a bungee or piece of string around the foliage. that way when you cut it at the base, the grass doesnt go everywhere. nice easy cleanup

D Felix
02-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Duct tape works probably as well or better than string/bungee.

Also, for the really big ones, I've got a toy carabiner on one end of a piece of rope. I take the rope around the grass, pick up the carabiner, clip it onto the rope, then pull tight. Much easier to wrap with tape then.

One more hint (all this I've posted before)- I've found that a chainsaw works best for cutting the grasses, as opposed to hedge shears. The only consideration is you must be a little more careful, and you have to use the top side of the bar. If you go into it like you are cutting down a tree (bottom side), you will clog the sprocket.

Oh, that appears to be a maiden grass. You'll want to cut it 6-12" up from the ground. The lower you can go, the better. Make sure you rake as much out of the center as you can, otherwise the center will die out over time. We usually start cutting back ornamental grasses around the end of this month.

Dan

YardPro
02-06-2005, 05:54 PM
man, i could not disagree more with the chainsaw....
we cut 3000+ LARGE pampas grass per year. i've been cutting the stuff every year for what seems like eternity.

you don't want to cut down past the "crown" the thick center ball.

the grass gets sucked into the sprocket and can ruin a chain saw.

we don't have to hual ours to a landfill. the condo's provide a 40 yard construction dumpster.
3 guys can cut, clean up, and load into the dumpster, about 200 a day with one on a hedge trimmer, and 2 cleaning/hualing.
what's funny is that even packed ( wh fill it then get in and jump up and dowm. It will pack it half way down, then we repeat the process., the dumpster usually has less than a ton in it.

klink34
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your input guys!! It was surely helpful!

D Felix
02-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I know that: the grass gets sucked into the sprocket Which is why I said: you have to use the top side of the bar

The ones we cut down, get burned. Makes a nice HOT fire for about 1/2 hour, then they're all gone.:) They don't get composted, as the seeds will still be viable, and could cause problems if we used the compost...

Dan

tiedeman
02-08-2005, 02:34 AM
ahhhh how I hate ornamental grass. They can be so picky at times.