PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Seeding

BobwithECLC
02-06-2005, 09:29 AM
I am considering adding Hydro Seeding to my mix of services this season, do any of you guys offer Hydro Seeding? Can you tell me some of the Pros and Cons. Any relevant information would be appreciated. How do you price this service as well? My interest was peaked after a few trade shows and the seeming simplicity of it. Thank you in advance for you help.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 10:26 AM
The percieved simplisity of hydroseeding is what had lead to the downfall of many would be hydroseeders. Sure it looks simple enough, just add seed fertilizer and mulch and spray on the ground and you will soon have a lovely lawn. Truth is, its not that simple. Learning how much seed, what type of fertilizer and how much to use, as well as the type and amount of mulch needed to insure success is the big equation that has to be figured out. Ask someone on a web forum how to do it and you will get as many different answers as there are people replying to your question. You will find that what works for Willie in Texas isnt going to work for Tom in Maine. To much difference in soil types and weather conditions, not to mention grass type used. The best source of hydroseeding information can be found at hydroseeding.org. Just add the www.

impactlandscaping
02-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Exactly what he said..... :D

MLI
02-06-2005, 11:49 AM
least around here.....finding water supply. If you try to pump form lake or pond youll have the town come down on your azz like a ton of bricks....little ole ladies calling the cops on you for pumping outta a stream, thinking your dumping toxic waste etc etc. It was a pain when I did it!

LawnsByJon
02-06-2005, 01:11 PM
One of my neighbors does hydro-seeding and I know for a fact that he fills his up illegally from the fire hydrant in front of his house. On numerous times, I've thought about reporting him for it, and several other things that he does illegally, but I don't want to ruin any future relations with him.

chevyryan01
02-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Not legal, it's a $300 fine here and they put it on your water bill, if you don't pay...guess what... lol, They allow you to rent a meter but works out to about $550 a year for that here which is just as ridiculous. I haven't had a meter for the last 3 years and haven't gotten caught so I'm money ahead. With my 1600 gal. hydroseeder I can be loaded in about 9 minutes so find a remote hydrant away from everything and load up... Just what works for us!!!

-Ryan-

jeffh1988
02-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Can someone give an explanation of hydro seeding?

LawnsByJon
02-06-2005, 01:33 PM

As far as I understand, it's basically special seed, and fertilizer mixed in with water that is then applied to the dirt with a sprayer.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by jeffh1988

As far as I understand, it's basically special seed, and fertilizer mixed in with water that is then applied to the dirt with a sprayer.

Hydroseeding is the process of mixing water and seed and appling to the soil for the purpose of grass establishment. Hydroseeding isnt limited to just grass but can also include wildflowers or just about any seed that can be mixedand sprayed thru the spray nozzle.

Hydroseeding was first introduced for the purpose of seeding critical areas where conventional seeding methods where not practical, ie, step road banks and areas susceptable to erosion. Hydroseeding has become an acceptable method of lawn establishment as well. Hydroseeding results in more even seed distribution and because of the ability to add fertilizers and other ingredients it can also result in less labor and faster application times.

mdb landscaping
02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
all of the responses above are correct. we got into it this past year, and while some of the above responses make it seem more negative than positive, we really have embraced hydroseeding and did a lot of work with ours. it does take some trial and error. each machine is different and finding the proper mixing technique is critical. i can remember one time this season we had to dump a full load cause it clogged the machine. you need to narrow down proper mix supplements as far as the fert, seed and wood are concerned. we have a 3000 gallon reinco unit and it does a good job. we usually fill out of ponds, streams etc, and this year we are putting a 3 inch water main in back of the shop to fill off of as well. the results from a hydroseeder look so much neater. we used to seed conventionally and then shoot straw over it. hydroseeding looks so much nicer when your done especially if it is a new constructed landscape. we have had great results and look forward to the upcoming year. it takes some trial and error to see what works for you and your machine, but once you get that squared away, its very simple.

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Article from grounds magazine

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Not legal, it's a $300 fine here and they put it on your water bill, if you don't pay...guess what... lol, They allow you to rent a meter but works out to about $550 a year for that here which is just as ridiculous. I haven't had a meter for the last 3 years and haven't gotten caught so I'm money ahead. With my 1600 gal. hydroseeder I can be loaded in about 9 minutes so find a remote hydrant away from everything and load up... Just what works for us!!!

-Ryan-
public forum, I wouldn't advertise things like that, now the world knows what you do in omaha, If i was in omahas water dept. you would have your name added to a watch list. :nono: :nono:

derek1
02-06-2005, 03:53 PM
What kinda of money are you guys charging for seeding? Is it pretty good?

muddstopper
02-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Derek, prices are going to vary around the country. In south georgia where you live you will be dealing with bermudas, centeped, zoyzia, and st agustine grassesThese seeds are higher priced than the fescues and ryes used further north. Also other material prices will differ. You area will probably require a higher mulch rate than someone in the north. All of this adds to your cost. Then you have to figure in overhead which could double you material cost. A pretty standard slurry will cost about .02cents persqft in materials. Add profit and overhead and your minimum price could easily be .06cents per sqft and at that price you are just making wages. Dont let anyone set your prices. Determine your cost based on materials, add you profit and your overhead and charge accordingly. And for info, my material prices have gone up approx 20% this year. If you price your services to low and then get an unexpected price increase on materials you dont have anyroom to absorb cost without raising your prices. This could mean raising prices everytime you order more materials. Make sure you add enough to your price to cover the usuall price increases that occur during the year. Seed prices fluctuate all year long. Fertilier will go up as fuel prices increase. Freight also follows fuel prices, the mulch manufacturers just raise prices because they can, or at least it seems that way.

impactlandscaping
02-07-2005, 12:10 AM
It helps to have more than one supplier as well for just these above reasons. I can't even set up a supply account with anyone in WV...Thee just aren't enough hydro companies in WV to warrant carrying large amounts of supplies, I guess...However,I deal with a company in Virginia , and two others in Pennsylvania. I call or fax for price updates weekly in the spring and early summer, and always know my current prices each week to adjust my costs if needed.

BobwithECLC
02-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Thank you to all for the input and advice. It looks as though I will be doing some more research before going in head over heals. Another thought I have had is to try and get a bunch of jobs pre-sold before I even got the unit to make sure I was going to be able to cover my initial investment. What are peoples thoughts on that Idea?