PDA

View Full Version : Fill er up please

Stinger
02-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Fueling our trucks and equipment is something we all face throughout the week. I find allot of time is lost jockeying for position at the pumps and then worrying how to manuver your way out of the convience store lot with a crew cab truck and 16' trailer just to find someone has blocked you in and then you get to play (reverse) the backing up game. So what do you guys do to gas up? Keep a fuel cell at the shop? Fill up all the little 1,2, and 5 gallon cans every Monday am while your looked at like a terrorist by the person at the pump next to you? I know there is a better way so let's here from you.

HOOLIE
02-06-2005, 11:36 AM
At my old job we ran 6 or 7 crews daily, what we ended up doing was, we bought a lot of extra 5-gallon gas cans, and someone would fill the empties during the day and when the crews got back they would switch their empties for full cans. Also they would top off all the mowers at night.

Each crew would fill their own trucks when on the road, preferably NOT first thing in the morning when it was a zoo at the pumps. Typically they would pass many gas stations during the week, they were told to fill up when it was convenient.

It didn't always run smoothly, but that seemed to work the best over anything else we had tried.

1grnlwn
02-06-2005, 12:58 PM
I always try to make sure that I am pointed out and away from the store. That way I can't be blocked by these lazy a$$ people that need cigs and soda, that park right in front of the door in areas that are suppose to be driving lanes. I always park so there is no space in front of the truck so someone can't back in front of me. I don't care if my trailer blocks a pump behind me. There are usually open pumps and the people that will block you off certainly don't care. I pay at the pump so I don't have to stand in line behind the beer,cig and lotto addicts. And I have no problem using a gas station bathroom and making absolutely no purchase. Sorry for the rant but people who have never pulled a trailer just don't understand and will park right in front of you. At lunch I always park across about 8 spaces and angle the truck pointing out towards the center drive. No matter how far out you are there is almost always a car parked in the very next spot in front of you when you come out.

Woody82986
02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I am a solo operator, so I gas up my truck at night most of the time, after I get done working. There is one gas station around here that doesn't get much business at all during the day so I use them when I need to fill up my mowers and gas cans. They are fairly convenient to pull in and out of.

ElitePM
02-06-2005, 03:00 PM
We have been looking at fuel transfer tanks as an alternative to having to make multiple trips to the station durring the week. We are just trying to determine if we will get a sufficent return on investment from the price/saved time. I don't know how many there are out there but a quick google search brought me to this site.

http://www.transferflow.com/html/refueling_tanks.html

Of course you still have to fill the trucks unless you get the 100 gallon tank :)

mtdman
02-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Don't usually have a problem. I've taken to bringing home the 5 gallon cans and filling up at night, so I don't have to take the trailer to a gas station to fill up.

MImowerkid
02-06-2005, 03:04 PM
does anyone use a extra gas tank in a pickup bed that is tied into the truck's fuel system to prolong the time in - between stopping?

Mark McC
02-06-2005, 03:06 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days and am seriously considering buying a sh*tload of five-gallon cans and filling them up on Sundays. Not sure how many I'd have to have to refill both the truck and the equipment for the week, but it'd cut down on time monkeying around at filling stations. I'm thinking maybe 80 gallons total per week.

To do this, I'd have to purchase some sort of container for the fuel. I will not keep that much gasoline in the garage, no way.

LawnsByJon
02-06-2005, 03:08 PM
How about your local Ag-Way or other similar commercial truck gas station. Most of the ones around here have diesel and regular gas, and they're generally set up to accomodate larger trucks.

Not always convenient based on where you're going, but it can be alot better than going to a normal gas station.

JB1
02-06-2005, 03:09 PM
We have 500 gallon tanks at the shop which makes it nice.

Mark McC
02-06-2005, 03:20 PM
How about your local Ag-Way or other similar commercial truck gas station. Most of the ones around here have diesel and regular gas, and they're generally set up to accomodate larger trucks.

Not always convenient based on where you're going, but it can be alot better than going to a normal gas station.

Nothing like that in the immediate vicinity. I've thought about driving to a point about 20 minutes west of here, but it would save me only about 10 cents a gallon. That's going to come to only about ten bucks a week. Hardly worth a forty-minute round trip.

It's not that gassing up is THAT big a deal, but you know how it is: a smart operation reduces miscellaneous time to a bare minimum. Every minute spent doing something other than making money is...well, time spent doing something other than making money!

Carino Property Services
02-06-2005, 03:33 PM
I have a 55 gallon custom made aluminum tank in the back of my Chevy crew cab dually, hooked up to my gas tank. Not for LCO, for when I hook-up to the 38' race trailer I haul around for my son to go Kart Racing. Have a generic fuel tank transfer switch hooked up so tank gravety feeds to truck tank. When gauge goes towards empty,I flip the switch and watch the gauge go up. That way I don't have to stop every 10 minutes to fill up, now only have to stop every 20 minutes.

Eddie B
02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm not too crazy about having a bunch of gas tanks on my trailer out in the open... I keep em in a vented tool box on the trailer. The last thing I want is for someone to throw a cig out the window and ignite my trailer and equipment.

paponte
02-06-2005, 05:51 PM
The answer is DIESEL!! hehe. All kidding aside, our maintenance truck is diesel, and a tank will last all week. We carry 30 gal of fuel in the trailer, plus all the machines full. At 45' long, our maintenance setup has no problems at gas stations, being that we take up most of the lot anyway, and block out anyone we need.

I would have to agree that you don't want too many cans of fuel hanging around in the back of your truck. DOT tends to frown upon things like that. :)

Mark McC
02-06-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm not proposing driving around all bloody day every day with 50 gallons of gas on board. The whole bunch of 'em would only be on the truck for the 20 minutes or so it takes me to get them to the storage bin.

I wasn't terriby clear, but the idea is to fill up on the weekend and put the cans away immediately, not tote 'em around.

prizeprop
02-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm not proposing driving around all bloody day every day with 50 gallons of gas on board. The whole bunch of 'em would only be on the truck for the 20 minutes or so it takes me to get them to the storage bin.

I wasn't terriby clear, but the idea is to fill up on the weekend and put the cans away immediately, not tote 'em around.Thats what I do, when were almost out I'll bring about 8 five gallon cans home and fill em on the way to work at 6am. The GMC C4500 deisel usually lasts all week on a tank.

Roger
02-06-2005, 09:51 PM
From the comments made, I gather that most of you are using 5 gal cans for refueling mowers, and other power equipment. Does anybody use any larger container, such as a Gas Caddy (see Northern Tool)? Perhaps it is not possible to transport in the Caddy -- only to store and dispense if filled from another source.

I use several 5 gallon cans, plus two six gallon marine steel cans. Somebody gave the marine cans to me, but I must siphon out the fuel. They were never made to pour, rather have a hose connection.

But, I'm tired of all the fuss with the cans, so am looking for an alternative. I use only about 25-30 gallon per week. I make a special trip with cans on my trailer, fill them, then transport home, back to the barn -- I never carry them any further than the simple to/from trip.

Is the tried and proven five-gallon can method still the best?

Mark McC
02-06-2005, 10:27 PM
From the comments made, I gather that most of you are using 5 gal cans for refueling mowers, and other power equipment. Does anybody use any larger container, such as a Gas Caddy (see Northern Tool)? Perhaps it is not possible to transport in the Caddy -- only to store and dispense if filled from another source.

I use several 5 gallon cans, plus two six gallon marine steel cans. Somebody gave the marine cans to me, but I must siphon out the fuel. They were never made to pour, rather have a hose connection.

But, I'm tired of all the fuss with the cans, so am looking for an alternative. I use only about 25-30 gallon per week. I make a special trip with cans on my trailer, fill them, then transport home, back to the barn -- I never carry them any further than the simple to/from trip.

Is the tried and proven five-gallon can method still the best?

$400 for the Caddy? I just can't spring multiple hundreds of dollars for every last thing I could make use of. I saw that item earlier today somplace else on the Web. No dice.

I still think the weekend fill-up is the least obnoxious of the choices unless you're a five-crew operation and can rationalize a hundred-gallon gas tank. Of course, you'd need a 3/4-ton pickup to haul that much gas.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-07-2005, 12:21 AM
What do I do I pick the most trailer friendly gas station I can find. Price is important but I feel the ease of getting in and out is more so. Also is it just me or does it always seem the stations with double pumps that allow you to fill the truck and the trailer at the same time are always 10-20 cents more then the cheapest stations.

Albemarle Lawn
02-07-2005, 01:36 AM
We rent a building ON THE PREMISIS of a commericial, card activated commercial fuel station. The building is owned by the oil company.

They sell us fuel AT COST, and there is on road, off road, and gas.

All I have to do is pay the rent (minimal, well worth it, right in town), mow the grass, push the snow, and take out the trash from outdoor cans.

The value of having flex-space positioned right in town is priceless. The fuel is dirt-cheap, got my last bill and off-road diesel was $1.42, on road $1.79.

The beauty of it is I don't have any headaches over fuel, don't have responsibility over tanks, and monthly bill itemizes everything.

I have been in there 4 seasons now. I noticed the vacant building and approached the oil dealer with my idea, and they liked it.

KB

sildoc
02-07-2005, 02:42 AM
I have been filling up at the same station for over 2 years now. I have them pretty much trained when I go fill up. They block off either the pump in front or the pump behind so that I am able to get out.
Took a bad situation for them to figure out how much I spend at there establisment, however it worked out.

gogetter
02-07-2005, 04:49 AM
There's this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200269574&R=200269574

Which is nice because it is DOT approved, buuuuuut, it only holds 10 gallons. If they made one that was 20-25 gallons, I'd be interested in that.

That would be good to have on the trailer, like in a basket on the front. Easy to fill at the station, then easy to fill equipment from at job sites.
But again, just too small.

Dstosh
02-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I am thinkin about getting a Transfer tank for the Back of my truck. I was just wondering though, Are they ok for gas? I know alot of people have diesel in them..Maybe just because it stays better longer. If I did get one and put gas in it, Obviously some type of additive would be used.

justgeorge
02-07-2005, 05:57 PM
I wasn't terriby clear, but the idea is to fill up on the weekend and put the cans away immediately, not tote 'em around.

Around Ohio you'd have to fill up on Wednesdays, because every Thursday they jack the price 15-20 cents per gallon to gouge the people who get paid (and fill up) on Fridays.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Im not sure exactly the reason, but gas is more explosive or the flash point is alot different from diesel fuel. Almost all the tanks you see for the bodies of trucks are approved for diesel and not gas. Before you stick one in the body you might want to check with your local rules and laws to be sure

Mark McC
02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Around Ohio you'd have to fill up on Wednesdays, because every Thursday they jack the price 15-20 cents per gallon to gouge the people who get paid (and fill up) on Fridays.

Crooks. Time for the local television stations to report on these slimeballs.