PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat ES218 Zero Turn

jacobsenlawncare
02-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I just bought a BobCat ES218 Zero Turn mower. It has a 52 inch deck. This thing looks like it's built like a tank. My only concern is the engine. It has a 18hp Briggs Intek Engine. I think this may be a bit under powered and I don't believe the Intek is as good of a engine as the Vanguard. Does anyone run one of these machines? What are everyones opions on Bobcats in General.
I previously ran a Simplicity Commercial Z. This was a good little mower, but not built nearly as solid as the bobcat. Last year I put 215 hours on my mower. If that helps.

ince8728
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
IMO for a 52" you would want something more along the lines of a 23HP. If you only put 215 hrs on it the ITEC is OK because it's not getting that much use compared to other machines but if it were me I would still want about 5 more ponies.

Green lawns
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
We have a ZT-125 Bob-cat 48" deck with the 25hp Kohler. Plenty of power for a 48" deck. You are probably under powered a few HP's. Thats a big deck (52) for 18HP.

If your mowing weekly lawns and not very wet, I think you will be all right. Remember, just slow down a little bit and you should cut with no problems. The Bob-cats have good ground speed when mowing.

Hope this helps a bit!

Travis Followell
02-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Its probibly a bit underpowered but just stay on top of the grass and don't let it get away from you and you should be fine.

mownredneck
02-06-2005, 07:06 PM
One of my buddies just bought one of these too. He likes it and says it has plenty of power. I havent driven it yet but he says he loves it. I have a 54" John Deere with an 18hp vangaurd and it has plenty of power. Yull do just fine!

Dave
02-06-2005, 09:16 PM
In my opinion the 18 hp has enough power to run the mower .at my shop I bought one for myself and put a pulley driven three bag system on it ,I used it and rented it out with no complaints.I had one guy cook the gov,and pulled the gov. shaft out of the block.If I remember right it had about 1200 hours on it.with very ,very poor maintence from the owner,and i mean very poor , as he would use it to cut brush with it along with doing his lawns.there is no short block from briggs so they sold him at half price a new 23 hp ,same block different jets in the carb.this same mower with a 19hp kawi is about 700.00 more,it is the same frame ,pumps and wheel motors ,but with a cheaper seat and untill 2004 units the same tires.keep the oil changed and the grass out of it and it should sure you well as it is a japan designed engine .hope this helps

jacobsenlawncare
02-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I didn't know the Intek engine was a Jap. design. I knew the Vanguard was.

What about the cut of the bobcat zero turn mowers? Do the cut as well as an Exmark?

Green lawns
02-07-2005, 01:03 AM
I have never used an Exmark mower but I can tell you that our Bob-cat ZT-125 leaves a very nice stripe without any roller or striping kit.

mkwl
02-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I have a Bob-Cat 48", belt drive WB mower w/15HP Kawi V-Twin engine and I love it!!!! It has a quality of cut and stripe that is far superior to all other brands IMO. It is built like a tank!!! In regard to the engine on your Bob-Cat zero turn, I have a 10HP Briggs Intek I/C engine on my Little Wonder blower and I haven't had any problems with the engine at all!!! I think that engine will do just fine for you! I love my Bob-Cat mower!!!

Travis Followell
02-07-2005, 07:40 PM
I didn't know the Intek engine was a Jap. design. I knew the Vanguard was.

What about the cut of the bobcat zero turn mowers? Do the cut as well as an Exmark?
The Intek is not a jap design, its an American designed engine most commonly used on consumer power equipment.

ince8728
02-08-2005, 04:37 PM
mkwl: blowers are not put under any type of load besides turning the fan where as mowers need the power to cut. He is asking if it has enough power to cut with a 52" and provide the power to drive the maching at the same time. Also the itec is a consumer engine, the vanguard is commercial.