PDA

View Full Version : WB mowers

big_country
02-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I am in need of a smaller WB such as a 36" for fenced and smaller areas I can't get my 61" ZTR in. I was wanting some input on some of the best brands on the market, never have dealt with WB. Also which is the way to go belt or hydro? It will not get used that much, just a few hours a week if that helps with any opinions.
Thanks

The landscaper
02-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Seems like your best bet would be to just find a goood used belt drive one. I am sure you can find a good one priced fairly cheap.

atproperty
02-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I would usually say hydro but if you will barely use it save the money and buy belt unless there is potential for growth where you may use the walk behind more. Runon sentence but its's okay i'm a landscaper not a professor. Hydros are awesome and a pleasure to use. Maybe go with a used hydro, ecspecially if you will be mowing on a hill. If its flat you are fine with a belt. Belts suck in the rain and you can get into messy situations. Hope I helped.

newbomb
02-06-2005, 04:19 PM
You can pick up a good used exmark metro almost any where. Get a 36" or even a 32" just be sure you get one with the right motor. You want a kohler or kawasaki with at least 12 hp. These motors have oil pumps that keep them lubricated on hills. Other motors like B/S and Tecumseh use splash oil systems and will fry quickly on hills. Also a belt drive is just fine especially if you are going to use it occasionally. Easy to repair and cheaper too. New these units are around $2,500 but you could find a clean used one for $1,500 any where. If you have cash who knows what a deal you could make. If gates are the issue I would look for a 32" some gates here are even too tight for 36".

-Paul

TURF DOCTOR
02-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Just bought a simplicity 34 inch cut wb

big_country
02-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the input. Does the exmark metro strip good and have a good quality cut? Also what is the difference in the floating and fixed deck?

gogetter
02-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Big Country, sounds like the Better Quick 36 mower ight be a good option for you to look at.

It's sort of in betwen a belt drive and a hydro, but it costs about the same as a belt drive. It's a single hydro, but operates easier then a belt drive.
Yet costs a good bit less then a regular full on, dual hydro.

Click on their banner at the top of the page.

tfilbert
02-07-2005, 04:37 AM
BC,
I use a 32" metro for small areas and have been very happy with the cut and quality. I bought a sulky and mulch kit for it and have been amazed at how well it does. Stripes nice but then again it doesn't have a roller behind it. Only complaint is the belts loose a lot of grip in heavy rain. Exmark has been good to me. My only other comment is when you have a 36" or 32" mower you will use it much more than you think. I have sent it out for the day as a primary mower often and the production is pretty good. I would recommend to anyone.
Tim

big_country
02-07-2005, 03:09 PM
About the decks, is it hard and time consuming to adjust the height on the fix deck? What is the price and cut difference? What is the price range for a exmark metro?
Thanks

rlong97150
02-07-2005, 03:45 PM
If you are still interested, I have a John Deere GS30 that I will be selling. 36 inch gear drive WB. Like new condition, low hours.New never used Jungle Jim Sulky. Extra blades, mulch kit, bagger kit. Delivery possible as my job takes me from Illinois to Virignia every month. I am not a commercial mower, just mow a large lawn. I will take some pics of everything when I am home next.

You can contact me at rlong@cell1net.net

Thanks

Bob

rlong97150
02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Found some pics I took when I got my new ZTR

big_country
02-07-2005, 08:23 PM
What kind of engine does it have on it? I've never heard anything on the john deere WBs, does it have a good quality cut and stripe?

rlong97150
02-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I want to say it has a 13 or 14 HP Kohler. I know its a Kohler, I just cant remember if its a 13 or 14 HP. I think it does a fine job mowing but not sure how well it stripes in stock form. I didnt even know about stripes until I started reading this site and by that time, I had my John Deere zero turn. I am picking up a couple of extra yards (one is 4.5 acres and the other is right at 3.5 acres) and the wife says if I want a second ZTR, the little one has to go. The John Deere may not be the best performer in its class, but they are a high quality machine with very good dealer support.

In its current form, I have the mulch kit on (with the chute off) so its got a narrow footprint.

Thanks

Bob

Mark McC
02-07-2005, 10:02 PM
eXmark is offering a 26" mower this year. They're not the first to do it, but if you have only a smattering of these back yards, a high-end 26 might make more sense than dropping $2300 on a 36".

The Better Quick offers a single-hydro, 36" walk-behind at $2,000, but you need to ask around about durability. I have no idea how well it's built.

brucec32
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
A belt drive is fine for occasional back yard type use. I would highly recommend the Toro T bar belt drive mowers. The steering is the best belt steering out there I think. They have 36" floating and fixed deck sizes. Never had a problem with the cut quality either discharging or mulching on any of the 5 or so I've owned.

lwcmattlifter
02-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a 1995 36" Exmark Merto with over 2500 hours on the original 12.5 Kawasaki engine. The mower stripes good and cut quality is excellent. Mine has required minimal repairs compared to other belt drives I have owned. Deck adjustment is done with spacers on the front casters. It takes 30 seconds to adjust.

big_country
02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Can anybody tell me how much a exmark 36" metro belt driven fixed deck would run me?

tfilbert
02-08-2005, 04:37 AM
About the decks, is it hard and time consuming to adjust the height on the fix deck? What is the price and cut difference? What is the price range for a exmark metro?
Thanks
BC,
Moving spacer on the front adjusts the height. If you want major change you can move the rear wheels but that's a pain. I got mine at end of year last year for about 2200 new. They gave me mulch kit and extra set of blades to make the deal. If I was doing it again I would make the same purchase.
Tim

meathead1134
02-08-2005, 09:24 AM
What kind of engine does it have on it? I've never heard anything on the john deere WBs, does it have a good quality cut and stripe?

I'm running A JD GS45 and it cuts great. Mine has a 14 kawi on it, JD dosen't make a striping kit for it but I'm sure that bigleague lawns will have something. It stripes pretty well for not having a one. There are a few guys on here that have made their own chain striping kits. Hopefully this helps a little

big_country
02-08-2005, 06:01 PM
tfilbert, where did you get your metro? That seems like a pretty good deal.
Also does anybody know how much the JD GS45 runs? What about Bunton and Bobcat, are they good quality mowers?
Thanks