PDA

View Full Version : Degrees

LawnsByJon
02-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Even though I'm still only a sophomore in high school, my counselor is recomending that I start looking at my possible career choices, and what I would need to do to secure a good job in those different businesses.

I was wondering what degrees or majors you guys had in college?

Anyone start out wanting to be something else, and change into landscaping?

Eddie B
02-06-2005, 03:11 PM
I took up computer network administration. I now work at Radio Shack full time and switch to part time when the grass grows. I do grass and general landscape.

SodKing
02-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Started out in the engineering school at UNH then switched to the School of life Sciences and Agriculture. I aquired a Bachelors degree in Plant Biology and a Minor in Agribusiness Finance.

MImowerkid
02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I am also a sophmore in high school and I will most likely be going to Michigan state for a turf managment degree . their are alot of options including buisness degrees , landscsape design , the possabilties are pretty much endless good luck in your search!

rodfather
02-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Bachelor of Science in Economics
Bachelor of Science in Marketing
Masters of Business Administration in Industrial Relations

How I found the Green Industry I will never know...actually I do, but it's a secret.

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I am also a sophmore in high school and I will most likely be going to Michigan state for a turf managment degree . their are alot of options including buisness degrees , landscsape design , the possabilties are pretty much endless good luck in your search!
excellent turf school, great choice and good luck to you.
Ive worked under 2 golf course supers that went to state. very well educated.

be sure to throw in a business class & record keeping.

mike payne
02-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Bachelor of Science in Economics Masters of Science in Economics

LawnMowerBoy48
02-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm in Stockbridge School of Agriculture in the landscape contracting major.

PTP
02-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I am a certified auto mechanic and a commercial pilot.

I would recommend deciding what you want to do and then go from there. Do you want to be a business man who happens to be in the green industry or do you want to be a green industry professional and may own your own business. There is a big difference.

If you love landscaping and such things and don't want to do any other type of job, then get a degree that specializes in that. You then have the option to either work for a company or you could be self employed.

If your primary goal is to run a business, then go for the business degree. It doesn't matter if you don't know everything. That is what books are for and you can also hire an employee that knows the specialized things.

Try to work things out backwards. As yourself where you want to end up. What is the best way to get there? Once you have this figured out, all of your other decisions will be a lot easier.

rodfather
02-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I am a certified auto mechanic and a commercial pilot.

I would recommend deciding what you want to do and then go from there. Do you want to be a business man who happens to be in the green industry or do you want to be a green industry professional and may own your own business. There is a big difference.

If you love landscaping and such things and don't want to do any other type of job, then get a degree that specializes in that. You then have the option to either work for a company or you could be self employed.

If your primary goal is to run a business, then go for the business degree. It doesn't matter if you don't know everything. That is what books are for and you can also hire an employee that knows the specialized things.

Try to work things out backwards. As yourself where you want to end up. What is the best way to get there? Once you have this figured out, all of your other decisions will be a lot easier.

Good advice, I liked that...wish I had thought of that 30 years ago.

derek1
02-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Degree In Criminal Justice working as a loan guy for a bank and going into landscaping full time

PLM-1
02-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I have an associates degree in human biology...working on my bachelors. I'm always changing my mind on what to do. A good thing to do is to atleast get an associates degree while you are working toward your bachelors. that way you can quit school if you have/want to and you have something to show for all the work you did. It takes more time but in my eyes it's worth it.

out4now
02-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Started out going for turf degree and changed to business admin. More opportunities, I may go back and finish the turf degree later but the general knowledge of business can be applied to many types of businesses. Part of my choice was prompted by my dad when he said he may have been a more successful business owner than he already was if he hadn't had to learn from the school of hard knocks. Right now they are really pushing testing at ASU to get you into the right fields of study so they have fewer students changing majors. They give you several batteries of tests and see where your strengths and weaknesses are academically and personality wise. Mine came out very much on the management end even more so than I really expected. My instructors didn't seem surprised though. Learned a lot about myself through those tests. You may want to consider the same. Your counselors should be able to point you in the right direction. If you are a good student take the CLEP exam and test out of the general areas, no sense paying for them and chancing letting them hurt your GPA. It will save you time and money in the long run. I wish I had been told that before I registered. jmy.02

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Started out going for turf degree and changed to business admin. More opportunities, I may go back and finish the turf degree later but the general knowledge of business can be applied to many types of businesses. Part of my choice was prompted by my dad when he said he may have been a more successful business owner than he already was if he hadn't had to learn from the school of hard knocks. Right now they are really pushing testing at ASU to get you into the right fields of study so they have fewer students changing majors. They give you several batteries of tests and see where your strengths and weaknesses are academically and personality wise. Mine came out very much on the management end even more so than I really expected. My instructors didn't seem surprised though. Learned a lot about myself through those tests. You may want to consider the same. Your counselors should be able to point you in the right direction. If you are a good student take the CLEP exam and test out of the general areas, no sense paying for them and chancing letting them hurt your GPA. It will save you time and money in the long run. I wish I had been told that before I registered. jmy.02

try this one out, I was amazed with how accurate it was with me.http://www.assessment.com/MAPPInfo/FreeAnalysis.asp

YardPro
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Even though I'm still only a sophomore in high school, my counselor is recomending that I start looking at my possible career choices, and what I would need to do to secure a good job in those different businesses.

I was wondering what degrees or majors you guys had in college?

Anyone start out wanting to be something else, and change into landscaping?

LOL yea, a doctor....
i have a degree in biology with a minor in physice (and one class shy of a minor in psychology).
was an emt for a while in college. thought i wanted to be a doctor. After doing a lot of voulinteer work i realized that was not the job for me. they have NO LIFE! lots of money, but no life!!!!!!!!.

so i decided to pursue the glamorous high paying job of landscaper.. LOL

i had done this work since i was 15. I liked the work. the instant gratification is what hooked me.
now i am drifting towards more design/build than maintenance. not as monotonus.

LawnsByJon
02-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Okay, a question to all of you guys with the business degrees.

Did you go into college actually wanting to start a landscaping business?

Or did you just want to have a business? or whaT?

Woody82986
02-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I am a criminal justice major and a psychology minor in my junior year. After that, I am planning on law school, so I can have a 6 figure income to fall back on in case I get hurt and am unable to keep mowing grass.

red raider04
02-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I earned my degree in Turf Management from Texas Tech. The plan was to work my way up in sports turf (preferably baseball), but now I'm planning on my own business in lawn care. My suggestion is that when you get into school, try to get a part-time gig (if time allows) related to your major so that you find out a little about how things work in that field, whether it be in law or golf courses. You do have to enjoy what little time you have in college, but at the very least get some kind of internship in the summers.....the pay stinks, but you'll learn so much more as an intern than you will sitting through a lecture. Above all, if college is the direction you go, follow your passion, not the dollar signs. Good Luck!

DennisF
02-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. Totally useless degree since all the software development and computer programming jobs have been outsourced to India, Pakistan, China and elsewhere.

Markf
02-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Associates of Applied Science (Rockland Community College)
Bachelor of Engineering Mechanical Engineering (Manhattan College)
Juris Doctorate (Fordham University, School of Law)

Get a degree and if you want work corporate for awhile. Get benefits and build a nest egg. Do the lawn part time. Otherwise, make sure that you have a hell of a business plan. Good Luck.

stumper1620
02-07-2005, 12:04 AM
I earned my degree in Turf Management from Texas Tech. The plan was to work my way up in sports turf (preferably baseball), but now I'm planning on my own business in lawn care. My suggestion is that when you get into school, try to get a part-time gig (if time allows) related to your major so that you find out a little about how things work in that field, whether it be in law or golf courses. You do have to enjoy what little time you have in college, but at the very least get some kind of internship in the summers.....the pay stinks, but you'll learn so much more as an intern than you will sitting through a lecture. Above all, if college is the direction you go, follow your passion, not the dollar signs. Good Luck!
Thats a good combination you came up with and probly didn't even know it.
I highlighted it for you, studing law or turf, get something related to your major for part time. perfect law and golf courses go together like coffee & cookies, cops & doughnuts, lawyers & golf courses, judges & golf courses
prosecutes & golf courses. I think most out of court settlements take place on the golf course. ( win this hole you win this case) :D