PDA

View Full Version : When do you trim Litrope?

Carolina Cutter
02-06-2005, 06:00 PM
I think that is the correct name......around here we call it monkeygrass.

I have some that has brown edges due to winter burn and I was wondering when the optimal time was to trim it back so it has the good spring growth.

Gautreaux's LNG
02-06-2005, 06:01 PM
We always trimmed it in Late January/ Early February in S. Louisiana.

paponte
02-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I believe you mean Liriope? :confused:

Carolina Cutter
02-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Yep...thats the name.....just went and checked my plant glossary from that 3D Landscape Designer program I bought and saw that I had said it wrong. Dang, I like that program....it even has a pronunciation feature if you do not know how to say a nam of plant.

I was thinking it needed trimming soon, so the spring growth would kick in. This stuff just fills right in and makes quite a nice border and I knwo from my parents having it for years that you can divide it and it will fill right back in and well, if you don't keep after it it takes over.

Thanks for the correction and I will try and get my facts straight before I post next time....... :D

Gene $immons
02-06-2005, 06:08 PM
North Carolina is about on the same latitude as Oklahoma City. I always trim it short in the early spring, and have great results. Usually we trim it in March.

Carolina Cutter
02-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Yea, I'm in Zone 7

paponte
02-06-2005, 06:19 PM
If the brown foliage is from winter burn, the best time to trim it back would be in spring, primarily when you are doing spring cleanups. The only other time I have found brown foliage, are when they are impropery planted in full sun. Liriope, dwarf mondo, or "monkey grass" is best in part sun or shade depending of the variety, this way it maintains its green foliage.

When trimming, don't cut too close to the crowns of the plants or you may hurt new foliage. :)

wojo23323
02-06-2005, 06:38 PM
You can do it now.

Fishin LCO
02-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I cut some back today.

j fisher
02-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Late Feb, early March. Don't wait till Spring. You don't want to interrupt the new growth by waiting to long.

Carolina Cutter
02-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Late Feb, early March. Don't wait till Spring. You don't want to interrupt the new growth by waiting to long.

Yea...walked by it today and well, I am soooo eager to get started that it crossed my mind. I think its getting chopped tomorrow...LOL

matthew horner
02-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Hey Merlin, I've always trimmed it in late feb. I've used the trimmer or taken a clump in my hand and cut with sharp scissors with great success.
We took care of that super bowl thing. Also, I'd love to chat with you about your website, I'll be needing one soon I guess.
Thanks a bunch.
Matt

GarPA
02-07-2005, 05:46 AM
we have a couple of properties with lots of it, on one, theres about 300 feet of it. We try to get it done by mid March at the latest. Last year we used string trimmers on this stuff and it saved us a huge amount of time. I forget exactly which size line we used but it was real thick stuff that will do a number on your shins if it hits you. THe stuff never looked better once it grew back ofter its severe haircut

Fishin LCO
02-07-2005, 10:43 AM
The best thing to use I have found is the sthil metal blade for the weed eater. The blade is basically 3 sharpened triangles that cut right through the stuff. I works great.

captaingreen
02-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I use my Stihl hedge trimmers....goes really fast!

Carolina Cutter
02-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey Merlin, I've always trimmed it in late feb. I've used the trimmer or taken a clump in my hand and cut with sharp scissors with great success.
We took care of that super bowl thing. Also, I'd love to chat with you about your website, I'll be needing one soon I guess.
Thanks a bunch.
Matt

Matt,

Good to hear.....NOW WHERE'S MY REFERRAL FEE????? I think I passed you Saturday morning. I was heading to Sanford again for the pup.

Shoot me an email and I wll give you the info on how to setup one of those sites. I don't know if it is gonna do any good but I am including it on all my advertising this year.....you know everyone is going hi-tech these days.

exmarkmetro36@yahoo.com

GarPA
02-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I use my Stihl hedge trimmers....goes really fast!
Captain...that is how we used to do it....until...someone told me to try the thick trimmer line..and I'm not bs-ing you when I say we cut the time by at least 50 % compared to using the gas shears. Try it sometime...you might find it works well particularly when you have it in very long rows. (we still use the gas shears when theres not much of it or its too close other perennials that we dont want to damage) Aside from the time it saves, there is almost no bending over holding that heavy 2 cycle for an hour at a time (and if theres one grunt task in this business that I absolutely detest at my old age, its bending over for anything longer than about 5 minutes!)

Mycannon
02-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Captain...that is how we used to do it....until...someone told me to try the thick trimmer line..and I'm not bs-ing you when I say we cut the time by at least 50 % compared to using the gas shears. Try it sometime...you might find it works well particularly when you have it in very long rows. (we still use the gas shears when theres not much of it or its too close other perennials that we dont want to damage) Aside from the time it saves, there is almost no bending over holding that heavy 2 cycle for an hour at a time (and if theres one grunt task in this business that I absolutely detest at my old age, its bending over for anything longer than about 5 minutes!)

The problem with using a weed eater is the cleanup after you mascre the plant it throws leaves everywhere

nt1
02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Some locations you can use 21 inch mower with bagger. As long as there is no steele edging, sprinkler heads or other obstructions. I use a mower on the bigger sections and a trimmer around the edges.