PDA

View Full Version : accounts

touhey33
02-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Here is a question, i currently have one account from last season that i know about, this is my first serious year of mowing, and i want to get as many accounts as possible what do you think is realistic, 10,20,30,40,50? I live in northern Indianapolis area and there are plenty of housing subdivisions and alot of money in the are i am in. I need to make between 500 to 1000 a week in order to make it, my fiance also works and i need to prover to her that i can do this. So what is realistic and what is the best approach to aquire these customers, I know in time i will aquire the through word of mouth, but i will take anything right now. Please any advice will help.

Green Envy Lawn Care
2001 Ford F150
32" Great Dane WB
21" push mower
cub cadet trimmer
ryobi blower

Carolina Cutter
02-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Here is a question, i currently have one account from last season that i know about, this is my first serious year of mowing, and i want to get as many accounts as possible what do you think is realistic, 10,20,30,40,50? I live in northern Indianapolis area and there are plenty of housing subdivisions and alot of money in the are i am in. I need to make between 500 to 1000 a week in order to make it, my fiance also works and i need to prover to her that i can do this. So what is realistic and what is the best approach to aquire these customers, I know in time i will aquire the through word of mouth, but i will take anything right now. Please any advice will help.

The number of accounts really depends on you and your working style, ethics, determination, etc. Only you can really determine how many you need or will get. Remember, advertising and marketing, play a HUGE part in this business.....so get your name out there and get known. If you sit at home and wait for the phone to ring you are going to have a tough go at it so get active.

For instance....I just went to the grocery store where I do my shopping and they have a post-it board. I posted 2 flyers, some business cards, and a few of my newsletters. I watched the board from a distance for a few minutes before I left to try and determine what was the eye cather. My newsletters got about 3 looks in 5 minutes. Not bad. People love to feel like they have new information and they will read things if they are interesting enough.

So GET OUT THERE NOW and get to work....or there will be no work.

Oh.....and as a side note....I know you are new here so remember you only need to post your question in one area. Posting it over and over in every forum is taboo....so pick a forum and stick it in there...IT WILL GET READ!!

stumper1620
02-06-2005, 05:31 PM
The number of accounts really depends on you and your working style, ethics, determination, etc. Only you can really determine how many you need or will get. Remember, advertising and marketing, play a HUGE part in this business.....so get your name out there and get known. If you sit at home and wait for the phone to ring you are going to have a tough go at it so get active.

For instance....I just went to the grocery store where I do my shopping and they have a post-it board. I posted 2 flyers, some business cards, and a few of my newsletters. I watched the board from a distance for a few minutes before I left to try and determine what was the eye cather. My newsletters got about 3 looks in 5 minutes. Not bad. People love to feel like they have new information and they will read things if they are interesting enough.

So GET OUT THERE NOW and get to work....or there will be no work.

Oh.....and as a side note....I know you are new here so remember you only need to post your question in one area. Posting it over and over in every forum is taboo....so pick a forum and stick it in there...IT WILL GET READ!!
what he said,
that was really nice of you merlin to save him from himself on the poster boards. :angel: :D

jcr4au
02-06-2005, 06:40 PM
I think 500-1000/wk is definetly do-able. Problem is, your fixed expense will be that much/month. Last year was my first year and I brought in about 5k in Aug. I put an ad in our local paper from March-June.

carbon737
02-06-2005, 07:54 PM
It also depends on haw competitive you are. If you are a low baller you'll work your ass off to get by on what you need. If you bid too high you'll sit on your ass cause people willl go elsewhere. figure an area ( 5 sq mi) for example and figure out how much people are paying in that area. That will be your target. You don't want to go much over or under that amount or you'll lose clientele
That goes for how much you want to make. If your expenses are 1000 a month and you wish for 1000 a week you need at least 25 acounts that pay 20 bucks eack a week. If you have bi weeklys then that # will change. U also have to consider if you wish to do any landscaping of side jobs. You'll have to budget time for those as well.
I work a full time job as well as maintain 35 accounts. I also get about 5 side jobs a year. I try only to work 12 to 14 hrs per day but it varies. I just depends on how big you want to be and how much sweat you want to put into your business
Always remember less sweat is smaller company more is bigger
Good Luck

touhey33
02-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I appreciate your advise, you guys have been really helpful. I do expect to do side jobs, and i believe i can get more accounts if i work hard. This is something that i know i want to do, and that makes me want to go out and work harder than anyone else. Again Thanks for your help.

Green Envy Lawn Mowing
Ford F150
Great Dane 32 inch Wb
21 inch push mower
cub cadet trimmer
ryobi blower