PDA

View Full Version : SCU PPSCU IBDU Longevity and ratios?

toxic man
02-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I am having a difficult time finding some relationship to the longevity of these compunds and the ratio of long acting to short acting nitrogen. Could some of you give some examples of real life timing on how long these last and the amount of slow release nitrogen? Some real life examples are very valuable.

I am in an area where everyone is on a sprinkler system and most if not all are cool season grasses.

Thank you

Lou
Weed Solutions inc

Neal Wolbert
02-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Like everything else, it all depends. High rates of water insoluble nitrogens like Nitroform can take a year or more to completely release. IBDU releases with moisture like a bar of soap. The bigger the granule the longer it will last. The more water, the faster the release. Coated solubles like S.C.U. and polycoats last a bit longer and are safer during warmer weather relating to phytotoxicity, of course they cost more. Blends of solubles and coated products are fairly predictable in their release. Solubles like amm. sulfate, amm. nitrate and urea release the quickest with 1#N from urea being all released with a month or so. There is an inexpensive way to treat urea or amm. sulfate to extend the release up to twice as long or more if you're going to spray it on. PM me for more info on that. Neal

timturf
02-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Ibdu is also effected by the size of prill

Scu is effect by thicknest of coating, and the quality of coating, and by how much it has been handled

Poly coated materials are also effect by the thickness of coating, at least this is true of polyon by pursells. Their product length of control is predicted by soil temperature, and at one time, they would tell you a precise time frame of release based on 1lbs of n/m, depending on which fert you spread, and the date applied. This release rate was determine on average soil temps!

Read up on each fertilizer, look at the label, and you can determine the release rate!

AlpineNaturescapes
02-08-2005, 02:15 AM
As a general rule scu is going to be the shortest lived - it is fragile. PSCU should last 3 months. IBDU large prill will last up to 5 months, and is the most expensive - we only use it for shrub fertilizing.