PDA

View Full Version : Windfoil enclosed boom

Dandylyin Slayer
02-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Has anybody used one of these? What are your thoughts about them?

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=577

shearbolt
02-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I have the prolawn attached to a Walker.

Grassmechanic
02-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Do a search on them. We had a discussion on them awhile back. Basically, if the chemical label states that you cannot apply when wind speeds are in excess of xx mph, then you cannot apply, with or without a windfoil. the label is the law.

Dandylyin Slayer
02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Yes, the label is the law! But the wind speed in an enclosed boom like this would be ZERO. It would be like applying in an enclosed building, (wouldn't it)?

Grassmechanic
02-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Yes, the label is the law! But the wind speed in an enclosed boom like this would be ZERO. It would be like applying in an enclosed building, (wouldn't it)?

Tell it to the Dept of Ag inspector while he is writing your ticket. While there is no wind inside the windfoil, as soon as you spray, the pesticide is subject to volitization and DRIFT!!!

Dandylyin Slayer
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Okay, thanks for your reply. I take it these enclosed booms are a rip-off.
I have never needed one on a still day, couldn't use one on a windy day, so why would these manufacturers want me to spend big bucks to buy one?
What a rip-off huh?

Grassmechanic
02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Okay, thanks for your reply. I take it these enclosed booms are a rip-off.
I have never needed one on a still day, couldn't use one on a windy day, so why would these manufacturers want me to spend big bucks to buy one?
What a rip-off huh?

Yep, pretty much a rip-off. Unless the chemical manufacturers state on the label that these type of devices can be used to apply the pesticide correctly, then they are in violation. I don't know of any label that states that these devices are ok. I was interested in one for the golf course I was at until I did some research on them. I called our state ag dept and was told that unless the label allowed for their use, they were in violation. I then asked if they are in violation, why are they allowed to be sold and manufactured. I was then told that they legally could be used to apply fert, but not pesticides. Govt. regs....geeesh.