PDA

View Full Version : whats an H2b worker

atproperty
02-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I was reading previous threads. Whats an H2b. If its a good but cheap laborer where do I find one. Do they drive? I hope this is not a stupid question.

Venturewest
02-07-2005, 12:27 AM
I only know a little about H2B workers. You can do a search in yahoo and really learn alot. Basically they are workers from other countries, ie. Mexico, and they have legal visas. So, the beauty is, they are legal, and you don't have to pay them all year. You are supposed to pay them fair wage according to your market. I think it could be a good way to go.

JKOOPERS
02-07-2005, 01:08 AM
good idea send more work to people from other countries and then when your children grow up and cant get a job blame yourself :dizzy: :dizzy:

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-07-2005, 01:12 AM
good idea send more work to people from other countries and then when your children grow up and cant get a job blame yourself :dizzy: :dizzy:

I would hope my children would want to make more then minimum wage.

JKOOPERS
02-07-2005, 01:18 AM
i was just using it as a scenario . plus i think everyone makes over min wage in the us doing lawn care or landscaping . well at least in my state they do.

JKOOPERS
02-07-2005, 01:19 AM
one of the reasons this country is so F%cked up is because of H2B workers .

jimslawns
02-07-2005, 01:36 AM
I think as part of it you must provide them housing as well. I heard all of the Visas for this year are already used up.

promower
02-07-2005, 03:05 AM
I agree I am not for hiring from out of the country. The sad part is finding good help now days is like finding a 2 ct. diamond in your backyard. H2B workers come to work and they work hard or they know they're going back home. Maybe if some of the younger people just starting out in the work force knew if they didnt start learning some good work ethics that the future may not hold many jobs for them. To many kids just have everything handed to them.

gogetter
02-07-2005, 03:21 AM
one of the reasons this country is so F%cked up is because of H2B workers .

LOL!! Yeah, that's the reason! LOL!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gogetter
02-07-2005, 03:24 AM

Oh brother! Yeah, I want my kid to grow up and run a string trimmer all his life.
:rolleyes:
Damn! Those H2B's screwed up his chances. Now what will he do??? LOL!

P.S. That's if I had a kid.

promower
02-07-2005, 03:42 AM
LOL, yeah it's not like H2B's coming in and taking over CEO job's we are talikng about lawn care here for the most part it's a no brainer job.

lawnman_scott
02-07-2005, 07:03 AM
LOL, yeah it's not like H2B's coming in and taking over CEO job's we are talikng about lawn care here for the most part it's a no brainer job.
And thats why this country is so screwed up, we still have to go to another country to fill no brianer jobs.

Oldtimer
02-07-2005, 07:16 AM
The H2B visa is designated for individuals who will be employed in a nonagricultural positions which are seasonal, intermittent or a one time occurrence. Examples of qualifying positions include travel agents, restaurant workers, janitors, resort workers, amusement park workers and landscape workers.

As a company grows and takes on larger commercial contracts a stable source of labor becomes very important. The LCO with a few employees is often dealing with turnover during the busiest part of the season. The H2B visa program appear to be the best source for a stable force labor for larger companies.

All of the larger companies we deal with use H2B employees and praise their loyalty and dedication. They are always on time, eager and ready to work. One of my customers had a Hispanic worker for about 8 months who saved 18K which he claimed would sustain him and his family for 15 years in Mexico. The worker took the money back in cash. Just think how hard we would work if we had, what could be, a one time opportunity to earn more than a months pay every day.

marko
02-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I did a little research into the H2B program and discovered that it is expensive to put in the applications and if you don't get them you only get refunded half the amount back. I understand they only allowed 62,000 (or something close to this) this year and they were grabbed up quickly.

As far as them screwing up our country, that is a joke! From the people that I have talked to that have used them in the past, they are hard workers, don't miss work, dont ***** about having to do this or that, and are glad to go to work everyday. It seems the most people entering the workforce these days are above starting out in lawncare, have the worst work ethics, and are lazy. I would definatly hire a us citizen before hiring a foreign worker on a visa, but imagine it would be hard to get dependable help for the money.

atproperty
02-07-2005, 02:06 PM
When I first started employing I was the same way, lets support our country.
One kid ended up being a girly man, another guy was great but had no liscence because of drinking and I had to track him down after he got bombed the night b4, another was just not quick enough, a girl I hired claimed she had experience got behind the mower and turned in circles. Many experinces besides these as well.

Canned them all for lack of tolerance of bull****. I am actually a very patient person and fair. My first full time season with employees was discouraging.

What does H2b stand for and how do I inquire?

ed2hess
02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Do a search on H2B there is a lot of good information. We were told that we may not get our workers for this year. We started the paperwork in October and we gualified in December, but still looks like not soon enough. By the way you have to pay around $9/hr in our area for H2B even though it is not required. The advantage of an H2B guy is that they can get liscense and we can get insurance for driving.