PDA

View Full Version : z-spray vs. permagreen magnum

bruinsfan
02-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Looking for input on which machine is the better buy.

GroundKprs
02-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Do a search and you'll get a lot more info than asking an old question again.

ForeverGreen
02-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Not much info to date on the PG "Magnum" but a ton on PG in general, Would like to get any response from anyone that has the new PG Magnum (Honda)and their experience to date. Thanks Ted

PermaGreen Supreme
02-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Detailed information on the 2005 Perma Green Magnum is available online at permagreen.com (http://www.permagreen.com). Areas of interest include an interactive cutaway model of the MAGNUMís burly power train. Visitors can discover the rock-solid engineering that has made Perma Green the most popular spreader sprayer in the world.

We also have representatives (owners) who can testify to its success and benefits. Feel free to call us anytime at the number below!

ForeverGreen
02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Detailed information on the 2005 Perma Green Magnum is available online at permagreen.com (http://www.permagreen.com). Areas of interest include an interactive cutaway model of the MAGNUMís burly power train. Visitors can discover the rock-solid engineering that has made Perma Green the most popular spreader sprayer in the world.

We also have representatives (owners) who can testify to its success and benefits. Feel free to call us anytime at the number below!
WE would all be interested in current findings by experienced "Magnum" owners, prefer with 50-100 hours on the Magnum in real world conditions, Ted

qps
02-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Bruinsfan,

I have a permagreen.
I replaced it with a z-spray last September.
It was money well spent.

Picked up my new z-max this morning.....did he say "rock solid enginnering" ;)

James Cormier
02-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Picked up my new z-max this morning.....did he say "rock solid enginnering" ;)

I dont understand your post, could you be a little more specific

qps
02-07-2005, 10:04 PM

This is what I mean :)

Pilgrims' Pride
02-07-2005, 10:50 PM
I think I put my z away with about 60 hrs on it.
Its been 60 awesome, trouble free, get the work done, no fiddle fartin around with broken down machines hours. PERIOD.

lawn king
02-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I think I put my z away with about 60 hrs on it.
Its been 60 awesome, trouble free, get the work done, no fiddle fartin around with broken down machines hours. PERIOD.
Bob, what's the deal on tight gates with the z ? The units i saw last week at the grows show wer'e wider than my tractor? Thankx in advance. Scott.

Pilgrims' Pride
02-08-2005, 03:52 PM
There are a few gates I dont fit through.
Very few though so the max was still a good choice.
The ones I cant get through get the lesco spreader

James Cormier
02-08-2005, 04:28 PM

Arron, can you provide a list of companies that have the magnum, and do you have any update for us guys that have the centri's and Ultra machines? To bring them up to the same level as the mag?

qps
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
There are a few gates I dont fit through.
Very few though so the max was still a good choice.
The ones I cant get through get the lesco spreader

Fellow z-spray owner...any tips on setting the hopper?? I haven't checked it myself yet but how many .oz per thou of water are you using as a carrier??

meets1
02-08-2005, 08:19 PM
I have a PG. Purchased last year. 150 hours - many buy some accounts, but to others that's many hours but that is what we used it for last summer.

I would like to upgrade to the mag. but not sure if PG company would be willing to take back the machine and "decent trade in" for the new one.

I did research the machine last year and it looked great. The new machine has some added benefits over mine.

If they (PG company) would be willing to upgrade our machines, that would be great as well. Is PG doing anything or addressing this issue?

ArchiesLawns
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't understand, if we have a problem with a piece of equipment that is a sponsor of this board, our post will be deleted. So, if someone comes to this board looking for advice on what type of equipment is best for there money, we cannot tell them our experience! mmmm! I guess when you pay money, you can hide the truth?

The above is my opinion and not influenced by anyone else on this board. And YES I am a PG owner!

meets1
02-08-2005, 08:37 PM
I can see your point of not bashing equipment but there is also anohter story and that is making your point that we has members, working with this equipment for x amount of hours should have a fair idea of what works and what doesn't.

As a PG owner - I don't like the brigs engine. Honda or Kaw would be my choice. That choice was not offered therefore........

Changing oil is not so bad, getting oil into the machine is another story. Poor design.

The spray nozzles I think should be located in a different place, which I see they are on the new machine.

I wish they had a bigger gas tank, always watching the time cuz after 1.25 - 1.5 hours of working, out of gas, which is also tough to fill up.

I wish the tank was bigger than 8 gallons. I see the new machine has a bigger tank.

That is my complaint, but I also own the machine, run the machine and in the end, it does a decent job for us, cuts down on all the walking we used to do, lowers my liability for having 1000 gallons of liquid in our tanks behind a truck and easier on my body at the end of the day.

PG should address a few of these issues or retro fit our machines with a few of the new ammenities!

sprayman73703
02-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Again I have to say I love my prolawn rig. Not just because you can run in a little more wind, but because you can run right up against flowers without problems. Plus it is a tough machine. Mine saw 13 million square feet (300 acres) and it is just like new. Again just my thoughts.

qps
02-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a PG. Purchased last year. 150 hours - many buy some accounts, but to others that's many hours but that is what we used it for last summer.

I would like to upgrade to the mag. but not sure if PG company would be willing to take back the machine and "decent trade in" for the new one.

I did research the machine last year and it looked great. The new machine has some added benefits over mine.

If they (PG company) would be willing to upgrade our machines, that would be great as well. Is PG doing anything or addressing this issue?

Upgrade our machines.....yeah its called buying a new one, did they upgrade all the parts they broke on the old ones...no just sold ya new ones and lots of them :)

Pilgrims' Pride
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
GPS,

To calibrate hopper I used the owners manual as a guide and adjusted from there.
As for spraying, I've got 2 x 20 gal tanks.
At 1/3 gal per thousand feet, thats 120,000 sqft.
At that rate you will be applying about 41 oz of water per 1000 sqft as carrier.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-08-2005, 08:51 PM
pro lawn? whats that

sprayman73703
02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I will admit that if you need to get through small gates the prolawn is a problem. You need at least 5' 6" to get through when it is folded up. That is why in small areas where you are generally going when you encounter small gates you can use the smaller prolawn rig that is a walk behind. but my small one will go through as small as 3' 4".

sprayman73703
02-08-2005, 08:55 PM
www.prolawnsprayshields.com check it out! I love mine!

qps
02-08-2005, 09:15 PM
GPS,

To calibrate hopper I used the owners manual as a guide and adjusted from there.
As for spraying, I've got 2 x 20 gal tanks.
At 1/3 gal per thousand feet, thats 120,000 sqft.
At that rate you will be applying about 41 oz of water per 1000 sqft as carrier.

I was just wandering how close the hopper figrures was, I'll double check the spray rate, I can't see going 5mph...that was too fast on the one I had to demo, I set it at 4mph, so I'll calibrate mine at that. Thanks

James Cormier
02-09-2005, 05:43 PM

When I bought my centri and had alot of complaints you guys talked me into buying the ultra, so I parked the centri with less than 200hrs. I was told how the ultra solved all the problems I was having with the centri.

Then I started having different problems with my ultra, and now your telling me the magnum solves all these problems, when will it stop?

And by problems I dont mean things breaking, I mean poor performance, questionable engineering, not quite meeting the expectations of what it was advertised as.

I gotta replace the ultra with something, Im just not sure if I can trust you guys that the magnum is all its billed up to be.

PR Fect
02-10-2005, 04:49 PM
www.prolawnsprayshields.com check it out! I love mine!
I'm with Sprayman. Prolawn gets my vote. We push ours on the small areas. ( 8K or less ) Hook it up to the mower on the large areas. Takes seconds. Low cost compared to getting a machine dedicated to just spraying.

Forever Green Lawn
02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
James,
I have been to the Perma-Green factory and seen the Magnum up close and on the assembly line. I also took one for a spin on the grounds there. It seems to be a well built product. The first thing I tested was the sprayer as I have had pump problems in the past. It does spray as far as advertised and climbs hill well too. Controls are well layed out and seem to function well. I think removing all electrical components was a step in the right direction as well as a beefer transaxle. I know you have had problems with them in the past as I have, but this new machine is worth looking into. I will be adding one in the future to the 5 I already own.

ForeverGreen
02-10-2005, 10:11 PM
It would still be great to hear from someone (anyone) that has some time on one. Since these machines were being shipped last fall I would think there to be some 50 hour machines in "real world" conditions. Thats only 10-5 hour days. Two weeks minimum of easy running.I requested this in a response to PermaGreens post a few days ago. I will call PermaGreen in the morning to request a list of owner operators since apparently none of them are active on LS. Ted Lea

Forever Green Lawn
02-10-2005, 10:16 PM
I think Spring-Green in Illinois may have been using them last fall. No one else in this area has one with any hours on it. PG may give a contact there or you'll have to wait 'till someone puts hours on this new machine.
Scott

sprayman73703
02-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey PR fect, Do you have the walk-behind version that has the lawn mower hook up?

PR Fect
02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Yes Sprayman we have the walk bhind and the tow bar. We are kind of spliting threads with the PG guys here, but I think the Prolawn should not be over looked. Compaired to the cost of a PG, and the work in draging a hose around, and of corse haveing a dripy back pack on, I would say the prolawn beats them all. If I sprayed everyday, all season, big areas, maybe the PG or the Z spray would be the way to go. But for part time use, low volume, fine mist coverage, no drift, and small investment, Prolawn rules!

sprayman73703
02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I think i would like the prolawn even every day! But I really haven't ever been around the others.

kalyeah
02-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Anyone know the price range on the prolawns? Are they easy to put on and take off of your mower?

PR Fect
02-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Anyone know the price range on the prolawns? Are they easy to put on and take off of your mower?
Paid around $1,400 for ours. its the 52 inch three wheel cart with the tow bar and spray wand. Tow bar comes off the mower just as fast as a trailer on your truck. And you can then take it off the sprayer just as easy.

sprayman73703
02-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I hve both the smaller and the 11 foot model. He is right on the price of the smaller one, but my 11 foot model was around $4000 plus the mower. It is worth that because you can cover some ground in a hurry. It is very easy to remove and put on the mower just 5 minutes or less. It is the best if you need a big area machine. The smaller one is great too.