PDA

View Full Version : Moles

mike payne
02-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Some of my customers are getting moles. Has anyone tried Kaput to get rid of moles? Is there a better way to get rid of moles?

marko
02-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Mike, check gopher in the search function. They were just talking about this last week. The main ways I remember is: Unchewed chewing gum, propane gas, or a .22LR. I think propane was the favored. If you find the thread, I put a link on a different site that was dealing w/ moles, gophers, etc. Sorry but I dont remember it.

Turf Smart
02-07-2005, 03:28 PM
There is a relatively new product on the market called Talpirid. It actually looks like a fishing worm but it is baited. You have to put it in the tunnel like Kaput but they are more attracted to worms. I've heard about good success with this from the guys at Lesco.

pyrocare
02-07-2005, 03:49 PM
My dad's company has been using the worm type thing that is made from Bell Laboritories and they have had very good success with it. The only problem is the cost. It can be found at the following link Mole Bait from Bell Labs (http://www.talpirid.com/) . The box of 20 worms was almost $80 to $100 :eek: . They were charging almost $300 for a treatment since there is at least one call back. The product is the best out there though. The tests have shown almost a 95% to 99% success rate.

Turf Smart
02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I think you may be mistaken on that price. Here, the box of 20 worms is around $40. I'm not sure how many it takes per lawn though.

pyrocare
02-07-2005, 04:01 PM
The price I said may have been for the box of 40.

William J. L.
02-09-2005, 04:26 PM
We have been using Phoxtoxin for years (aluminum phosphide). You probe down as far as you can with a soil probe and drop a couple of pills down in the mounds (not the tunnels) and it gasses them out. Put as many around the lawn as you see mounds.
Get a fumigant license first ! (hold your breath too)

pyrocare
02-09-2005, 09:01 PM
A Phoxtoxin, I believe, is not a legal means of getting rid of moles. I know in South Dakota it is not. About two or three years ago there was a farmer that had moles in his yard and had some Phoxtoxin for fumigating a grain bin and put about an entire flask of the fumigant in a mound next to his house. He ended up killing some of his kids. Here is the article from a local news station. (http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=25,4298)

Russ
02-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Read this

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2005/mole29.htm

William J. L.
02-10-2005, 09:49 AM
A Phoxtoxin, I believe, is not a legal means of getting rid of moles. I know in South Dakota it is not. About two or three years ago there was a farmer that had moles in his yard and had some Phoxtoxin for fumigating a grain bin and put about an entire flask of the fumigant in a mound next to his house. He ended up killing some of his kids. Here is the article from a local news station. (http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=25,4298)
They shouldn't sell those things to just anybody...that's a sad story!
We stay 15 ft away from all houses and other buildings that have life. An unattached garage or a barn is ok to get right up to the wall...plus no more pills than 2 should go down in the hole. The three companies that I have worked for the past 15 years have all used this product so I am assuming that it's legal in Ohio. We buy it from our pesticide wholesaler.

airtractrdrivr
02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
I've had really good results with the Talpirid worms as well. Havent had a call back on any of the jobs I've used them on as of yet. I cant say that about Kaput.

pema
02-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Just got a call from a customer who started late last year. (She got 2 lawn treatments and requested Pesticide Free Programs because of her Dogs)

She has Moles and said it was because of the Organic Fertilzers I used which magically and spontaniously created Worms and Grubs for moles to feed upon. Somehow it is my fault she has moles and wants me to get ride of them at no charge.

Every attempt I made to poke holes in her argument was dismissed before I could even finish making my point.

I told her I would extend the courtesy of thinking about it for a day before I said no.

Does it ever end?

Lightningj33
02-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Put a chaw, preferably Red Man, down the hole. Sit by the hole in a lawn chair with a shovel. Wait until the moles come up to spit and whack them on the head w/ your shovel....

Can't take credit for this one, heard it at my Cat 3b training course the other day.
Miller

greenngrow
02-17-2005, 04:41 PM
good results with the Talpirid worms

I just came back from a pesticide training session.... The speaker spoke very highly about this product.... I have used Molexit. Will not do that again..... :angry:

Going to give this new bait a try.......

Williams Services
02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
The label for Fumitoxin includes moles ... but there's so much in that label! It looks as if you need to get separate training in phosphine gas before you can use it.

Garth
02-23-2005, 02:57 AM
I've got a devilishly clever way for you to get rid of any burrowing rodent. Contact me at gmcglasson@industrial-support.org and I'll tell you. It's inexpensive and exceptionally effective-Garth

430 boy
02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Has anyone try chewing gum. I was tell of mole eat he will be close for business
or at less stop up pretty good. :blob3:
forget said you can also flood there trech with propane and blow them sky high.
but you might not be able to use this the propane idea in town.

Garth
02-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Sounds like the Rodex 4000. The website is rodex4000.com,I think. It is used for extermination of large populations such as fields and orchards and is becoming popular for two reasons, i.e, animal right activist concluded that death was instantaneous and growers can still be construed as "organic farmers" because no chemicals are used. The sound is that of a cannon though so it's not something you can use in town. I found a device that has proven to be very effective. I use it alot for rodents that don't trap easily. Here's the website [url]http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/gopher/experimentaldevice.html. I've replaced the fan with a battery-operated leaf blower on the second unit for ground squirrels and rabbits.Good Luck-Garth

pasted again..did not take original address
http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/gopher/experimentaldevice.html.

Williams Services
02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Garth,
That's pretty neat but for $1800 you'd have to treat for a lot of moles.

Garth
02-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Garth,
That's pretty neat but for $1800 you'd have to treat for a lot of moles.
The product is very effective but as I stated before, not practical to use on residental properties. Check out the second link from the University of Arizona. I have constructed this device for under $20 and the results are excellent.-Garth

Williams Services
02-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Now that's interesting ... practical, even.

Garth
02-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Now that's interesting ... practical, even. I get the flares 2/$1.00 and it rarely takes more than two before the little buggers pop their clog. I either find them t!ts up or brain the little ba$t@rds when they come up choking for air. Either way,they meet the reaper. By using the battery operated leaf blower, I've had smoke come up 200 ft away in about 3 minutes. Just enough time to pray....