PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS 1500Z vs. Exmark HP

grassmeister
02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I want to see what people think about the difference between the Exmark HP and the new Ferris IS 1500z. I see very few Ferris' used down here in Atlanta, but that's probably just because there aren't many dealers here. I just assumed the Exmark was better since people really seem to like them and they're very popular with people around here, but when I compared the two side by side, I like the Ferris better and it's about $1000 less.

Here are my findings:
+ Ferris: Active suspension
+ Ferris: Cooling fans on pumps
+ Ferris: Maintainable, greaseable spindles
+ Ferris: Easier height adjustment setup
+ Ferris: Speed (10 mph vs. 8.1 for 44")
+ Ferris: $1000 less for 44" model

+ Exmark: More dealers to support it
+ Exmark: ROPS included
+ Exmark: Bigger gas tank (11.5 vs. 6 gallons)
+ Exmark: Slightly bigger tires (23" vs 22")

Draw: Same Kawasaki engine
Draw: Both have canister air filtration system
Draw: Similar deck configuration and strength

From what I see, Ferris comes out ahead even w/o the price difference. When factoring the price ($5200 vs $6200), the answer seems clear.

What are your opinions?

eclawn
02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
The answer is simple you have already seen all the differences. There is nothin the hp has that the 1500z doesnt, but the 1500z has suspension.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Yea but the 6 gal tank may not get you through a day of cutting the 11.5 gal tank will always go into your second day. Nothing worse then being on the farthest part of the lawn with the longest possible walk to the trailer and thatís when your tank goes dry. Ok one thing worse being on a hill side when it goes dry for those that do not know this when you run out of fuel then you are basically free falling with no control of the mower since you have lost all hydraulics and there is only a parking brake.

Travis Followell
02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
If I was you i'd get the Ferris. The suspension delivers a very smooth ride, the smoothest of any machine and that will make a big difference in how you feel at the end of the day and with the machine being $1000 less its pretty much clear what the best choice is. Hope that helps. :)

jayandlo
02-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I just went through the same delimna. I ended up purchasing the Ferris. I pick it up on the first week of March. I used a dealer in Conyers.

COLLINSVILLE
02-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Yea but the 6 gal tank may not get you through a day of cutting the 11.5 gal tank will always go into your second day. Nothing worse then being on the farthest part of the lawn with the longest possible walk to the trailer and thatís when your tank goes dry. Ok one thing worse being on a hill side when it goes dry for those that do not know this when you run out of fuel then you are basically free falling with no control of the mower since you have lost all hydraulics and there is only a parking brake.
Thats why there is a gas gauge.

brucec32
02-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I think I saw that the Ferris is about 100 lbs heavier, and that's with the rops on the exmark.

Not sure the suspension will matter as much on a 44", which I assume would be used on smaller properties.

Exmark is slightly more compact.

Check resale values in Atlanta on Ferris vs. Exmark. If you want to upgrade or make a change it might be a factor.

But it just goes to show you that Exmark could probably stand to lower their prices some.

026TB4U
02-08-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't see why the Exmark HP is so much more money than the Ferris. I looked at an Exmark HP this weekend and it seemed really overpriced. It was close to the same price as a comparable Hustler Super Mini Z but without all the extras.

I think the Hustler Super Mini Z is a better comparison to the Ferris, but again, it's more money like the Exmark. But the Hustler does have a suspension seat, goes the same speed, and has cooling fans.

I just spoke to my dealer and he finally got his 1500Z's in stock, so I'm going to test one out this week.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Thats why there is a gas gauge.

My 2003 did not come with one and my 2004 only has one on the left side, which has never worked accurately since the day we got it. Best way I find take your hand and tap the side you learn what full and empty feel like.

grassmeister
02-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm still waiting for the 44" to come out. Only the 48" and 52" are available now. The 44" won't be available until at least March.

Though the Hustler may be a great machine, it's still quite a bit more than the Ferris. For my usage (non-commercial), the difference in cost makes a difference since they're all pretty expensive. I just don't see why there would be such a price difference when Ferris seems to have all the important things I'm looking for.

ed2hess
02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
We are thinking about the Ferris instead of exmark or Scag because of price a and suspension. We are going with 48" and I am a little worried about cut since we mulch 95%. The Scag has all these baffles for mulching but if you want to do a non mulch job it would be a pain to pull the baffles?

grassmeister
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I have similar concerns because my plans are to mulch 100% of the time. I've asked about the mulch kit, but couldn't get any info from anybody, including Ferris. That's because they haven't been made yet because they re-did the design on their decks. They will likely include baffles too, but not sure yet. Some manufacturers tout the fact that they have individual cutting chambers and others say it's better to be open so that the grass can move freely from one part to another. Which is better? Who knows. Maybe it's more marketing than anything else. I have an old 21" Snapper with a regular blade and it mulches just fine just by blocking the chute.

My main concern is cut quality, but I've been told that it does a great job and that the suspension helps to give it a better cut than the competition. I've only driven it on concrete, so I can neither confirm nor deny this. A dealer by me has a 30 day money back guarantee w/no restocking fee, so I guess that's how I'll find out for sure.