PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Request

jpmako
02-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Got a call today from someone that said they have an appraiser coming Friday to asses the value of their house. They wanted an estimate for cleaning out the front beds and edging.
I almost fell out of my chair when he said that. They basically begged me saying that no other LCO would come out this time of year and that they were willing to pay top dollar. So I am sitting here thinking that this guy wants me to come out of hibernation un-winterize my equipment and actually work? :dizzy: So I went and looked at the house. Not too bad probably about 2 to 3 hours of work. I gave him an estimate for $300.00 figuring that I will need to make a couple of gallons of mix for my Redmax and take along two green barrels and some rakes. I am also writing up a contract for full maintenance for the guy for the spring.

Who else would do it?

Jason

grassyfras
02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I do it for $200.

promower
02-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Why would you want to make your house look nice for an appraiser. The more your homes worth the more taxes you pay on it.

Critical Care
02-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Heh heh, the edging could get a little rough if the ground is frozen. I'd probably do it for a third of that, providing you can do a simple edging without having to get out the jack hammer.

Randy Scott
02-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Great, one guy will do it for a $100 less, and one will do it for $200 less. Good job guys. Geez, no wonder everyone bitc hes about lowballers.

Somebody is begging you to do the work, and as stated, you would have to get equipment out of storage and winterizing, along with the fact that nobody else will do it for them. That's called premium service as far as I'm concerned and it better be worth it to me.

Besides, I wouldn't do it. It's fricken' winter and the ground is like rock.

grass-scapes
02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Why would you want to make your house look nice for an appraiser. The more your homes worth the more taxes you pay on it.
He probaby is getting ready to list the home for sale. the contract will probably be a moot point. LOL

MImowerkid
02-07-2005, 02:38 PM
why don't you quote him for 300 bucks 100 /hr. and then say anything above that is 100/ hour just to cover your butt in case the ground is "Rock Solid" I don't know, I don't have a bed edger , but that sounds like alot of work! Have fun, and hurry, you might have some rain/ snow on the way , I know here in MI It's pouring out right now! !

captaingreen
02-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I would consider asking for pre-payment. I did a $275 cleanup for this guy that was begging a few weeks ago, now he has dropped out of existence, my first collection problem since I started in this business. :realmad:

SpudsM15
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Yea... Watch out for people looking to sell the house... Had 2 problems in the past 2 years with those type of people... Def. get pre payment..

jpmako
02-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I would consider asking for pre-payment. I did a $275 cleanup for this guy that was begging a few weeks ago, now he has dropped out of existence, my first collection problem since I started in this business. :realmad:

Have a signed contract. That should alleviate those kind of problems to some extent. Hey Captain guess what came up again http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=95014

Jason

tiedeman
02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Yea... Watch out for people looking to sell the house... Had 2 problems in the past 2 years with those type of people... Def. get pre payment..

yup, I ran into a lady about 8 years ago with a similar situation. She sold the house and left. The realtor wouldn't even pay me

captaingreen
02-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Have a signed contract. That should alleviate those kind of problems to some extent. Hey Captain guess what came up again http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=95014

Jason
LOL Ya, I saw that and decided to leave it alone. I thought about suggesting a search, but yet again, I decided to leave that alone....... :cool:

rodfather
02-07-2005, 03:10 PM
"Thanks, but no thanks" would be my reply.

marko
02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I would get prepayment on this (the $300 or whatever you charge). I was an appraiser and i think he is probably desperate and doing a refi to get some equity out (trying to get a higher value than the house is worth) and his mortgage person has told him to do everything possible to make it look nice. The way people and finances are these days, I had numerous people buy a house in the $200,000's paint, put down new carpet, clean the house, then try to refi in the high $200,000's to get equity out. As an appraiser I would note the outside, but landscaping is rarely given much value (as far as what you must spend to get it). I always got a tour of the house of clients with the new ceiling fans that they installed @ $200 each, the new cabinet doors, the brand new sump pump, etc, etc, etc. All a waste of money other than for the selling owners use. He could be selling and this is why I would recommend to get the money up front, but I bet its a refi.

mtdman
02-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Jason

I'd still get prepayment. A signed contract is worth the paper and ink if the owner ups and leaves, sells the house before you know it, etc. From now on, I only do moving/for sale houses with a prepayment.

yamadooski
02-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Heh heh, the edging could get a little rough if the ground is frozen. I'd probably do it for a third of that, providing you can do a simple edging without having to get out the jack hammer.

Look even the lowballers post their cheap prices here...Geeeez someone :help: us.

jpmako
02-07-2005, 07:38 PM
The house is not for sale, he is refinancing.

Contract Signed it's a done deal.

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-07-2005, 08:43 PM
I do it for $200.

The guy is begging to have it done in the middle of winter. Nobody else will do it. It will probably be a pain because I would guess the ground is frozen in his part of the country and probably covered with snow. The LCO has to bring his equipment out of storage and then store it again. The man probably is having an appraisal for sale so a years maintenance contract probably won't happen and you're willing to lowball it by 1/3? Nice. Come to my area. I have some subcontracting I need done.

Critical Care
02-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Yamadooski, or whatever your name is, that's the first time I've ever been called a lowballer. Me, a lowballer, eh? Geeze, I'll have to pass that comment on to my clients who complain about my high prices.

Hey, if you can get $100 or $150 per hour cleaning up a bed and edging that's super, but out here those rates probably wouldn't fly. Why not try $400, and if the guy shines you off you can always go back to watching soap operas on the boob tube.

dwc
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I think $55-65 if it's 2-3 hours. Not much to a cleanup.

ALarsh
02-07-2005, 11:19 PM

lol. I will take that as a joke. Read your sig...

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-07-2005, 11:55 PM

How many of you have done cleanups when the ground and the plant debris was frozen rock hard and probably covered with snow? How big of an area and how long has it been neglected? How much time in taking equipment out of storage and then putting it back in? Why do the other LCO's refuse to even look at it?
I wouldn't do a 2 - 3 hour cleanup job for less than $100.00 in the best of conditions. I'd leave the business first.
Seems to me that it would be difficult at best to edge. Plus the wear and tear on the edger from concrete hard soil.

GetSomeGOJO
02-08-2005, 01:45 AM
That's what I'd call an hourly job. We've done some clean-up/property value prop-ups before and honestly, these folks will pay top dollar for very little actual work. In the case of a bed clean up, rather than cut an edge with two cycle equipment, use a spade. Also, fresh mulch will really make that neglected landscape look a little more cared for. Look on it as an opportunity to sell some extra services and enjoy your winter bonus bucks! (offer to sew annual ryegrass if the temp is over freezing for even a few days)

Kelly's Landscaping
02-08-2005, 02:37 AM
What is your time worth this is something everyone here has a different answer for. The higher your self worth the bigger that number. Some of you are sue happy make sure you got a signed contract then you can go to court and get your 200 dollars I wont even get out of bed for 200 dollars. Itís not worth the effort I am never going to court for under a grand and why because in my working season I bring in 1-3 grand every day of the week I choose to work. So no way would I give up a workday to go to court itís easier to just do another job. Itís why I have a collections agency but as high as I value myself during the on season I value my time in the off-season even higher. You want me to come out during my vacation that I earned with 60-90 hours weeks for 10 months LOL were talking 1000 plus a night with your daughter NO WAY would I accept the job. Yes I know what about the chance to make some money well I still got about 11k outstanding from fall next to that 300 dollars just doesnít seem to inspire me I guess.

moremowing4me
02-08-2005, 07:38 AM

Ah, but the more money that you can borrow against it, and I dont know about in this case but here they dont tax by the aprraisal value. I knkow because I thought the same thing when they appraised mine for like 150,000$

yamadooski
02-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Yamadooski, or whatever your name is, that's the first time I've ever been called a lowballer. Me, a lowballer, eh? Geeze, I'll have to pass that comment on to my clients who complain about my high prices.

Hey, if you can get $100 or $150 per hour cleaning up a bed and edging that's super, but out here those rates probably wouldn't fly. Why not try $400, and if the guy shines you off you can always go back to watching soap operas on the boob tube.

First of all you did to yourself by saying you charge that much less. I dont know you at all.
Second, ya thats my name, I sure wouldnt go posting my real name and business logo all over the web so anyone can see it.
There is some guy on here getting harrassing phone calls from others on here.

Third, with the price of gas and inflation ...I would have charged the guy 400.00 like you said the second time around. I dont care what area of the country he lived in.

gogetter
02-08-2005, 08:20 AM

Man, I hope you're joking!

As far as would I do it? Yes. But I won't get into pricing since there is so little information it would be foolish to try to give a price.
The only reason I don't work in the winter is because no one is calling. If the phone rings, I'm answering it.

jpmako
02-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Done,

It took approx 2 hours. It was not fun but hey I got a seasonal contract out of it. I think the hardest part was carrying barrels of leaves to the back yard.
Edging on the other hand did not go so well. The ground was partially frozen and I could not keep a straight line if life depended on it. Every time I pushed the edging shovel into the ground everything just fell apart. It was like trying to edge sand. I tried my best and explained to the guy that it was going to have to be touched up in the spring anyway. He was ecstatic, said I did a great job and that he was very appreciative of me coming to do the job.
I think the best part was watching people passing by and doing a double take as they saw me blowing frozen clumps of leaves with my redmax.
I can only imaging what they were thinking!
BTW got paid cash $300.00 payup

Jason

RedWingsDet
02-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Thats good you got it, and recived what you wanted.

However,
3 hours, I would have charged $450, no less. $250 up front, remaining balance upon completion of job. If it takes over 3 hours, $140 an hour after the 3 hours.

cleancutccl
02-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I had a lady call me to do a leaf cleanup as soon as possible, of course I say alright, I'll try to do it all with the blower and bags. supposed to do the job on thursday, going to have to postpone because right now we have about 2 inches or more of snow on the ground and it is still snowing ;) :help:

Critical Care
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey Jpmako, that ain't half bad for a couple hours of work, and I bet most guys on here aren't making $150 per hour. Keep that up all season and ol' Donnie Trump may just look you up to be his next apprentice.

dwc
02-08-2005, 05:42 PM
lol. I will take that as a joke. Read your sig...

Yes it is a joke! :) Someone usually chimes in with some ridiculously low price and since no one had done that yet I thought I would. LOL

I would have done it if I were sitting here with nothing to do right now. Nice thing about cleanups is that Joe Homeowner doesn't know what is the "right" price to pay for a cleanup. It's not just every day you have to have that done. Can't say the same about lawn mowing because they are all experts in that field and "anyone can do it you know". ;)