PDA

View Full Version : 21" push mower reccomendations

MarcSmith
02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I have been slowly trying to purchase new equipment for my department, and the next purchase will be some new 21" machines. Based on what the mechanic says and the guy above me a 2 stroke lawnboy is the way to go....we have 10 of them dating back to late 80's.....I have inherited many problems with the department, lack of accountability/enforcement of rules are the biggest issues, the Union is the other one, but I can't control that...

Inthe past they have tried self propelled mowers-the guys are hard on the equipment and the gears woudl break. 4 stroke equipment- won't check oil, and they routinely mow on hill sides so I would worry about oil starvatoin.

Tools are held in a common garage and tools are not assigned(yet) to a particular crew. I working towards full tool assignment, except for the big stuff.

So I am looking for a good two stroke 21 inch mower....What's out there...

cush
02-07-2005, 02:41 PM
If they won't put oil in the 4 strokes what makes you think they will put oil in the gas?

MarcSmith
02-07-2005, 03:06 PM
The senior gardeners mix the fuel up and the Mixed fuel is labeled as such. and is in differnt cans that teh straight gas..... They never have blown up a 2-stroke engine....(why did I say that.....it's gonna happen now)

I have two senior gardeners, and each senior gardener has 3 gardeners and each gardener has a laborer, very simplistic heirachal structure....

Before I got here we had a lot of theft..I implemented a sign out procedure for the two stroke equipment, and actually assigned hand tools to each person, so it has seemed to help on the accountablity and loss. Ultimately I'd like to actually assign a blower, trimmer and push mower to each gardener/laborer combo, so that we can actually better track repairs and who is being hard on the equipment...I just don't have the Space to assign everyone equipment and be able to keep in locked so someone who is not authorized doesn't use it...In the land of commercial maintentance, its nice you have trucks and trailers wich can be secured and mobile at the same time....

ed2hess
02-07-2005, 03:31 PM
The lawnboy units built today are much different than the units built in the 80s.. To get the same quality you need to go to the gold series...but is my opinion that those units don't match Honda HR215 commericial, which is a 4 stroke. I believe the 2 stroke engines are being phased out in general but I may be wrong. Snapper has a good commerical unit, again with a 4 stroke honda engine on it. There are other brands but I am not familiar with them. I don't really believe the gold series lawnboy will stand up to abuse of commericial mowing.

MarcSmith
02-07-2005, 04:08 PM
The ones we have now are at least stamped steel decks, and they don't see the hard use a true comercial mower would. they might see a few hours every week. If I had one or two mowers then I would definitly need commercial grade heavy duty, ect. with 10 of these SOBs I can get by with a lighter duty machine. But, I, like you guys, hate throwning good money at a seemingly moronic issue. I feel I could get by with 4-6 machines....but just a mater of time until I do....ARGH....

LB does make some 2 stroke mowers in the $4-500 range, I guess thats going to be my only option....Its a shame that they cant make a 4stroke engine that uses mixed gas and lubicrates like a two stroke.....But then you're back to the pollution issue, which is killing the 2 stoke in the first place....

marko
02-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Toro 21" 2 cycles are what I would recommend, but as previously stated, they are being discontinued for 2005. As rough as it sounds they are on equip, you could buy used ones that have been maintained well, but it's 4 stroke for everyone now.

JLLawn
02-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I have been slowly trying to purchase new equipment for my department, and the next purchase will be some new 21" machines. Based on what the mechanic says and the guy above me a 2 stroke lawnboy is the way to go....we have 10 of them dating back to late 80's.....I have inherited many problems with the department, lack of accountability/enforcement of rules are the biggest issues, the Union is the other one, but I can't control that...

Inthe past they have tried self propelled mowers-the guys are hard on the equipment and the gears woudl break. 4 stroke equipment- won't check oil, and they routinely mow on hill sides so I would worry about oil starvatoin.

Tools are held in a common garage and tools are not assigned(yet) to a particular crew. I working towards full tool assignment, except for the big stuff.

If your are worried about the guys running them on hills and the lack of oil getting to them then I would seriously be looking into the Exmark 21" metro commerical mower. They are running the the 6hp kaw. on them and the other good thing is that the have and oil pump and filter on them so there is no worries about lack of oil. I have had good luck with the kaw. engines and the exmark is built to last. Its a heavy well built mower and they can take a beating. We run 3 of them and we havent had a problem yet. They can be alittle pricey but the investment is well worth it.
If you have any questions just let me know.

Jeff

MarcSmith
02-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I used the Metro's @ trugreen...good mower. you are right a bit $$$$ but the key is spending the money smartly and not just throwing it away....I have no way of knowing how much is spent on the machines each year, there is not "work-order" system in place in the garage so the LB could cost next to nothing to maintain and keep running, or thye could cost me $500 a year to keep running. just no way to know....One of the many things I need to work on....I just can't understand how the department even functioned in the past.....no accountability, just spend and fix....If I go 4stroke i would need an egine that has the low oil shutoff, so if does get low or on too steep of a hill it shut's itself off.

nitrotim
02-08-2005, 01:19 AM

If they are that bad about maintenance get them some of these.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/reelmowers.html

tiedeman
02-08-2005, 01:22 AM
The lawnboy units built today are much different than the units built in the 80s.. To get the same quality you need to go to the gold series...but is my opinion that those units don't match Honda HR215 commericial, which is a 4 stroke. I believe the 2 stroke engines are being phased out in general but I may be wrong. Snapper has a good commerical unit, again with a 4 stroke honda engine on it. There are other brands but I am not familiar with them. I don't really believe the gold series lawnboy will stand up to abuse of commericial mowing.

a little off topic:

that is a sharp looking clean web site you have there. I love it when things are nice, neat and clean and your site has that.

MarcSmith
02-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Old push reels....if I cold make it work I would....It's not that they are bad at maintenance, they just have never been held acountable for their actions, sicne if a pice of equipment went down, there was always a backup....Obviously if I have a backup for every pice of equipment, its like being over insured, a waste of money and resources....I know I will eventuallyhave to go 4 stroke, nothing I can do about it....But implementing policies and procedures is also part of the fun, so I can hold people accountable for their actions, or lack thereof